Nikon 70-300mm VR

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hey,

So - I'm quite new to this photography lark - I've got a Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime and a Tamron 17-270 all-in-one zoom for my D5100. I'm considering a new lens, and am considering a Nikon 70-300mm VR - my question is, will it be significantly better than the Tamron for long-length stuff, or should I just stick with what I have, and get something different?

some how this post ended up in the wrong topic....ignore lol

Last edited:
It will definitely be sharper. Other things being equal, a 4x zoom will always beat a 15x zoom in terms of image quality. And superzooms are usually at their weakest at the extreme end if the zoom range.

The 70-300 has a fraction of a stop advantage in terms of aperture at the long end (f/5.6 vs f/6.3). The VR might be a bit better too, but I wouldn't know that without reading reviews.

But *significantly* better? Hard to say, and it depends on what you do with your images. If you don't make prints, and you don't rely on cropping your images heavily to get extra magnification, then you might not notice any difference at typical screen / web resolutions.

Back