Nikon 85mm 1.8g or Sigma 70-200mm 2.8

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Hi I'm going to be buying a new lens this week. I had in my mind I wanted the 85mm lens as I mainly like to shoot portraits but I saw that the sigma wasn't a bad price and a good lens.
Do I still buy the 85m or shall I pop for the sigma? Does anyone have experiences

Which version of the Sigma 70-200? there's at least 3 I know of. In any case, the 85 is what you want, you say you had your mind set on it, there's the answer.

I had a sigma 70-200, didn't like it, found it soft wide open, and maybe it was the copy I had but it also had terrible purple fringing too. That was the HSM MK II, not the original one, but the one before the OS version. I've nothing against sigma lenses, I own 2 of them currently, just didn't like that one.

I also have the Nikon 85 1.8G and have nothing bad to say about it. Honestly, for the price, it's one of the best lenses you can buy

As above the only thing putting me of the 70-200 is the size and as I shoot with a D90 the focal length may not work for indoor photos depending on space.

I use my 85 on a crop body and it's JUST do-able inside and it's better in low light. Outside it's great. It has the ability to isolate the subject from everything else around it.

Having said that, the 70-200's are pretty common amongst portrait photographers and are usually their go to lens. They are heavy beasts though but offer more flexibility. The Siggy might not be as good optically though as the Nikon 85mm f1.8g.

good luck in that -secondhand, they go for not far off of new grey prices.

Like David says, outside the 85mm is a corker

you'll have to wait about 5-7 days from hdew as they dont stock them - just bare that in mind incase you need it in a hurry

Back