Nikon Cameras

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the market for a new camera, but i really dont know which one to go for, i was thinking of the D300, but then Ken Rockwell (i really should stop reading his stuf) said in his review that the D90 was better, so i started looking at the D90, but then i started thinking about the D700 because i often work in low light and often have to shoot at iso 1600 at f/1.8, and i use a few manual primes so the metering on the D700/D300/D300s would be a bonus, so im torn between the D700, D300, D300s and D90. Help please!

Daniel

Go an try them in a shop and see what feels right for you?

I think most of your lenses are DX so not much point getting the D700 unless you change them too(DX will work but cropped to less than 6mp by camera iirc)
I use a D300 at upto 3200 iso and just rn finished images through noise reduction software when finished.

Go an try them in a shop and see what feels right for you?

I have tried all of them (apart from the D300s) and i like the feel of all of them, i favoured the D700 cause i loved the weight and sturdiness of it, but looking at my funds, getting a D700 would mean not being able to spend as much on good glass.

i would rather have a D700 and one lens than any other option

if you can buy it

In your position, money not a factor. D700 :D
but as above get your hands on one first.

In your position, money not a factor. D700 :D
but as above get your hands on one first.

Thanks for everybodys enthusiasm about the D700, what lens would you suggest getting to go with it? for about £700 i think, depending on how cheap i can get the D700 for.

Daniel

What do you want to photograph?

I do mainly sports such as running events, tug of war and rowing, but also just boring family things as well :D

And is £1,565.99 a good price for the D700 body only?

Daniel

is money no object? d700 then, however its a professional model so might be a bit overkill? depending on your lenses you may need some new ones.

if not then a d300 or d90, however they're very different cameras marketed at different types of people. the d300 is a semi pro/pro model with build and features accordingly, and the d90 is more the top end of the amateur/beginner market.

the d90 is supposed to be a bit better at higher iso, but it wont mean its better overall. both id imagine would take similarly excellent pictures. the d300 would be better if you wanted the af, build, metering and overall speed. the d90 if you want something smaller with movie and various automatic modes.

in my opinon the only reason to get a d300s is if you want a d300 with the movie mode, as thats really one of the biggest differences.

to be honest all the cameras you've mentioned work well at iso 1600. ive recently got a d300 and am very happy with its performance at 1600 and 2000.

I have tried all of them (apart from the D300s) and i like the feel of all of them, i favoured the D700 cause i loved the weight and sturdiness of it, but looking at my funds, getting a D700 would mean not being able to spend as much on good glass.

A D300s will feel like a D700, as they share more-or-less the same body. If you do sports photography the a D300 would be more sensible, but reading the thread it sounds as if you want to spend as much as possible on a body, in which case buy the D700 ;)

is money no object? d700 then, however its a professional model so might be a bit overkill? depending on your lenses you may need some new ones.

if not then a d300 or d90

Why is the D700 a "professional model" and the D300 isn't, when the only difference is FX v DX sensor?

I do mainly sports such as running events, tug of war and rowing, but also just boring family things as well :D

Daniel

That is the best price I have seen for a while, cheapest I have seen has been £1650 ish - although I would never buy a grey import or from some of the dodgy suppliers out there! Looks a little too cheap imo unless some price drops have just happened.

I started with a d40, got the d90 when it came out. Great camera - a big improvement on d40 but I have to admit i found it a bit small. Bought a d300 yesterday from Digital Depot on here and am very impressed. Feels better in my hands and looking forward to having a proper play later.

There are only a couple of things that I preferred about the d90 - the thumbpad on the back is better there and also you can use the excellent £15 Nikon remote. Have a play with all, but overall I would say the 300 is the one to go for.

Onestop Digital, they seem to be very cheap on a lot of things!

Daniel

So no UK warranty then? It would cost you a fair chunk of cash to send the body back to HK in the event of a warranty claim, with the risk of being hit with vat/import duty on it's return, even if you did avoid them the first time....;)

So no UK warranty then? It would cost you a fair chunk of cash to send the body back to HK in the event of a warranty claim, with the risk of being hit with vat/import duty on it's return, even if you did avoid them the first time....;)

hmmm ok, so you are saying that Onestop Digital is a no-no?

Daniel

Daniel

Up to you but personally when spending this amount I would want a shop to go back to if any problems etc... Search for DigitalDepot on here, shop in Stevenage and Stuart does great deals for TP members.

Up to you but personally when spending this amount I would want a shop to go back to if any problems etc... Search for DigitalDepot on here, shop in Stevenage and Stuart does great deals for TP members.

cool thanks, il have a look.

Daniel

I'm not a small or frail guy, but on day hikes and during times when I need to be mobile, the D90 is the way to go. All the people I see carrying larger models seem to be straining under the weight. My cash goes on lens though. Go with what feels right.

If you don't mind getting a second hand one there's someone over at avforums that is selling the D700 along with 24-70 f2.8.

If I hadn't bought my D300 I would have gone right for it.

Daniel

It depends on whether you are prepared to take a gamble. You'll have no UK warranty, but chances are you won't need it, however if you take the camera out of the country (on holiday, for example) and are unlucky enough to get stopped by customs on the way back you may find yourself landed with a vat bill - and these things do happen, it's not up to HMRC to prove you haven't paid the VAT, you need to prove you have......

If the OP wants a sophisticated AF system, that rules out the D90....although as a previous owner I can vouch for it's IQ (no different from a D300). Whilst the D90 will be more than enough for most people, the D300 is more rugged, has a better AF system and can meter the old manual AI-S lenses correctly.

I wouldn't recommend going for a D700 with one lens...tempting as it is.

If you're spending £1500, why not buy a used D2Xs - they're going now for about that price in Used/VGC since the D3/D3x came out...
If you're doing outdoor sports it'd make more sense, I'd have thought...

If you're spending £1500, why not buy a used D2Xs - they're going now for about that price in Used/VGC since the D3/D3x came out...
If you're doing outdoor sports it'd make more sense, I'd have thought...

I totally agree!:wave:

Daniel

I've bought from one stop Digital in the past and they're a reputable company (in my experience). But just ask yourself - what happens if the brand new camera goes pfffttt on day one. What do you do then.

I'd forget about the D90 and D300s if I were you. Sensible options are between the D300 and D700 and the most sensible option if money is an issue and you can't afford the glass and D700, is to go for the D300 and the top quality glass.

A D300s will feel like a D700, as they share more-or-less the same body. If you do sports photography the a D300 would be more sensible, but reading the thread it sounds as if you want to spend as much as possible on a body, in which case buy the D700 ;)

Why is the D700 a "professional model" and the D300 isn't, when the only difference is FX v DX sensor?

ah, i originally had both written as professional models and was going to change both to semi pro/pro, then changed my mind. must not have changed it in the d300 bit of my post.

yeah they're both the same level, whatever they are.

Daniel

I got my D700 last month from Digital Depot (Stuart) Full uk spec £1669 posted. (y)
This was the best UK price i could find and great service (y)

Back