Nikon D300 - autofocus settings for motorsport/aviation

Name
Jamie Blandford
Edit My Images
No
What settings do you use for a2 AF-S priority selection for motorsport or aviation (or anything with a moving subject I suppose). Torn between release + focus, or just focus?

Also, what settings do you use for a4 Focus tracking with lock-on. As far as I can tell it is just as well to leave it off if theres nothing between you and the subject, as its just the delay before the camera re focuses if it detects a sudden change in focusing?

Finally, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with using 3D tracking.

Cheers,

Also, what settings do you use for a4 Focus tracking with lock-on. As far as I can tell it is just as well to leave it off if theres nothing between you and the subject, as its just the delay before the camera re focuses if it detects a sudden change in focusing?

Cheers,

It only controls the delay in locking onto a new target, it does not effect the speed the lens reacts to a moving target that it is already locked on to.

However there are several schools of thought on this, and to be honest I am still trying to prove or disprove which is correct, but my instinct is the above statement holds true.

Here is an interesting thread on the subject from FM Forum LINK it was written for the D700 but it still holds true for the D300

Yeah, so its the delay or how long the camera waits if there is a new subject between you and the original subject you're tracking.

Thanks for the link, some useful information there. (y)

Yeah, so its the delay or how long the camera waits if there is a new subject between you and the original subject you're tracking.

That is what I am thinking, which is confirmed by one of the posts in the thread linked.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Focus or release + focus? Obviously focus would be best but I'd rather a shot which is fractionally OOF at the critical moment than no shot at all in which case focus + release would be best.

Also still keen to hear how people have got on using 3D tracking?

I would tend to use focus + release, because as you say, it is better to get the shot slightly OOF (or use a great enough DOF) than to miss the shot. Focus only can just take too long at times in my experience (wildlife).

I see Martyn on here and he will confirm all my troubles and posts in the last few weeks about this dreaded word 'RELEASE' I had my camera inadvertently set to RELEASE only in AF-C and had a whole stack of out of focus birds and bikes. It was suggested that I keep it on FOCUS priority where the camera only fires if focus is achieved. I have shot hundreds of moving pics since and only on 2 occasions has the camera not fired, in other words where focus was not achieved. All the other pics are perfect. I would advise FOCUS only (y)merv

Back