Nikon D300s

Name
Oscar Dewhurst
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Following on from one of my previous posts where I was adamant that I was not going to shell out on a D300s, but instead buy a D300, I have now changed my mind and am going to get the D300s as I feel that the video would be a feature that I would use a lot and the extra fps means that there is less need for the battery grip. But, I have a question. At the moment, I can preorder the D300s for £1299 from Digital depot, which is much cheaper than Jessops and Warehouse Express, but do you think that Digital Depot's price is only lower to get people to buy it now, and so it will go up after it has been released, or do you think that the price may drop even further after, say, a month or so. Also, do you think that there will be any for sale second hand before the middle of October because people bought them and then realised that they don't want them?

Thanks for your help :D

Oscar ;)

Hi guys,

Following on from one of my previous posts where I was adamant that I was not going to shell out on a D300s, but instead buy a D300, I have now changed my mind and am going to get the D300s as I feel that the video would be a feature that I would use a lot and the extra fps means that there is less need for the battery grip. But, I have a question. At the moment, I can preorder the D300s for £1299 from Digital depot, which is much cheaper than Jessops and Warehouse Express, but do you think that Digital Depot's price is only lower to get people to buy it now, and so it will go up after it has been released, or do you think that the price may drop even further after, say, a month or so. Also, do you think that there will be any for sale second hand before the middle of October because people bought them and then realised that they don't want them?

Thanks for your help :D

Oscar ;)

Im sure that the Stewart will not change the price :)
Have a word with him :)
He is a user here you know :)

I was in Jessops a few days ago and there was a customer who was desperate to get his hands on a D300s...:shrug:

I did the whole D300/D300s thing and decided that it was the worst of both worlds. That is, not full frame, but not the best DX Nikon either.

D90 or D700 was my choice (effectively DX v FX) and I'm now saving for a D700.

Cant see many people shelling out then deciding to change.

You get 1 (or is it 2) fps on the 300s - isnt 6 frames enough on the 300?

I think the price from the big boys will drop after launch, but doubt it would go much below £1299 if at all - if it does then the 300 will surely drop.

If you feel you would use video then fair enough, but in almost a year of having a d90, i used mine once, for a minute and that was on the day it arrived.

You get 1 (or is it 2) fps on the 300s - isnt 6 frames enough on the 300?

Indeed - in fact I use my D300 in "continuous low" to drop the frame rate to give the AF some chance of keeping up (and thats with the D300's astonishing AF system coupled with the fastest focusing lens I can find!)

I think I would use the video as I shoot a lot of wildlife and am interested in making wildlife films. Do you think there may be any 2nd hand ones before mid-october?

Only if Puddleduck can't resist... he normally has hardware for about a fortnight :D

Hi Guys.

Ive decided to go at £1299 because there is no point trying to get £1499 for the camera and throwing in freebies like everyone else that you probably dont want anyway.

Then when it drops to £1299 in a months time I would have some annoyed customers.

Based on my cost price it really cant come down much more than £1299.

I will sign buyers up on the Nikon plus scheme as well but i havent been told what vouchers will be available yet for the D300s.

Stuart
http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk

Would you be able to guarantee stock for the end of the month Digital Depot (as in August)?

seriously though, do you think that there will be any going second hand before mid-october?

thanks

Oscar ;)

Yes. No. Maybe.

You do understand that you are asking people to guess about what may or may happen in two months... what are you hoping to get out of this question?

Am I missing something or is this a clairvoyant site, not a photographic one? ;)

I did the whole D300/D300s thing and decided that it was the worst of both worlds. That is, not full frame, but not the best DX Nikon either.

thats a bit subjective - depending on what other bits are important to you, the d300 has a far higher build quality, better AF etc, etc than the D90. I'd thought they shared a sensor as well?

Hugh

seriously though, do you think that there will be any going second hand before mid-october?

I suppose a few people might have buyers remorse and/or need to raise cash in a hurry, but I can't think of any other reason. The D300s is just a tweaked D300, and you don't have to use the video if you don't want to, so why would anyone dump it back onto the second hand market? I can't see the price of the D300 dropping significantly either, unless the D300s starts hurting sales, and I don't think this is going to happen any time soon.

I wouldn't choose a DSLR to make wildlife videos either. Why not get a D300 and put the difference in price towards a video camera?

Yes. No. Maybe.

You do understand that you are asking people to guess about what may or may happen in two months... what are you hoping to get out of this question?

Am I missing something or is this a clairvoyant site, not a photographic one? ;)

Seriously.

Am I going to win the lottery next week?

sorry for that ;)

I wouldn't choose a DSLR to make wildlife videos either. Why not get a D300 and put the difference in price towards a video camera?

I have a tight budget and wouldn't have enough to get a video camera, and it would take a long time to save up for it, so I think that with the D300s I can get some videos.

I think i might just buy a new D300s. Now i just beed to wait for the release date!! :D

Oscar

Back