Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry newbie here,:) probably an age old question I want to buy
a DSLR camera I have narrowed my search down to a nikon D40
or D60, with 18-55 vr lens and 18-200 vr, I have read that there
is not a lot of differences between the 2 apart from megapixels
but having a sign company I am able to print onto 1300mm canvas,
paper and vinyl so would I be best getting the D60??

Not sure about the question of 1300mm canvas, but why have an 18-55 AND 18-200? The 18-200 will cover the same range as the 18-55...

Do you need the long reach of the 18-200?

I was just me I meaning that seeing as I have a wide format digital
printer that if I get some quality shots I can blow em up big

The 15-200vr I thought would be useful for distance shots we
have eagles that fly in the mountains behind us and all I get with
my current camera is a dark blob in the sky. also there are some
wonderful characters that graze there animals on the hillsides but I
don't want to be intrusive and get contrived shots

While I love my D40, sadly they've stopped being manufactured. You might as well go for the D60 as any D40s that are still on sale are as rare as hen's teeth. :shake:

Blatent self plug here, i actually have a d60 kit for sale in the for sale section XD, not much dif between the two in all honesty however rather than an 18-200 lens get the nikon 55-200 as then you have your 18-55 kit lens and a 55-200 which covers the lot up to 200mm

Sounds like a solid setup to me, although you may have to get a bit closer than you think, as 200mm wont bring miles into meters :)

been using the D40 for just over a year with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses (but NON VR versions) and been really pleased with it - no probs whatsoever

I got really annoyed with my D40 because it developed serious dust issues on the sensor. I tried lots of ways of cleaning it (blower, brush, wipes), but it was just an ongoing battle and I was losing. The D60 has an anti-dust thingy, and that's priceless. I'm sure they work because I have one on my D90, and it seems to be doing its job despite me changing lenses a lot.

Back