Nikon D5200 or any Nikon ... Fault or Normal

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all started processing some images today that I took on Tuesday night watching for Meteors (Saw plenty but didn't catch any)
Any way I have notice that in the dark corners especially the bottom corners when processing the RAW image they go pink I doubt this in meant to happen but has any one see it before??
I use ISO3200, f2.8, 20 seconds

Got any examples to show ?

definitely not some kind of horizon glow?
My D5100 didn't have any

I noticed my D610 produced some hot pink coloured pixels on a long exposure I did the other day at a reasonable high iso. Don't know if that's related.

It's probably amp noise, it will be more prevalent at higher ISO with long exposures as the camera has to work harder amplifying he signal.

My Sony A7R did similar with the bottom edge being red

So I'm guessing it's not a fault but what can be done about it???
No I don't think so, all digitals will exhibit it to some degree or another. I think the best way to avoid it is to keep the ISO as low as poss, it isn't particularly bad in the examples given imo, also don't do long exposures one after another.

Do you block the eye piece?

You could drop ISO and increase time??

Do you block the eye piece?

You could drop ISO and increase time??

No I didn't block the eye piece actually and I have been reading about that!

Hmmm it might be worth trying it! I'm going to go out one night just for purely test purposes do a few different combinations! It's just getting it right the get the most detail/data with out affecting going to far and spoiling the image

It also could be some electronic element close to your sensor that produces some heat and that's affects your images on long exposures.

And how would I avoid that?
If the problem is heat produced by electronic elements, then probably there is no real solution for this problem, unless you got good skills in electronics. Try to use lens with wider aperture, that will reduce your exposure time. Also switch camera off for a minute before taking another photo with long exposures.

Last edited:
To me it looks like a light leak... an open eyepiece will do it. That's why they include the little plastic cover for the eyepiece. The higher end models actually have a shutter you can close for the eyepiece.

Back