Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Just upgraded from a Pentax K5 to the D610 still getting to grips with the change, but all good so far. :)

My D600 still holding up strong. Have a few marks above f14 ish if shooting on white but nothing more than the D7100 was giving.

I did a friends Christening just as a favour as they just wanted a few memories of the day. Was my first attempt at portraits and churches and flash photography so was good practice and gave me a lot to look about moving forward to doing more shoots like this.

Images are blocked at work so here is the thread:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/christening-for-a-friend.530628/

Not perfect, but a good base point to move forward and learn from the shoot.

Request the Mods or OP to rename the thread and add D610 into the title since the two cameras are 99% same. This should encourage participation and posts from both D600 and D610 users.

Camera back on Monday with a new shutter. Two days later with no lens changes to let dust in and I have nice spots on my photos.View attachment 6806

Unacceptable, it really is. One presumed that the new shutter would have solved this oil/dust problem but clearly not.

Peter, how many shots was that image after the new shutter installation?

Unacceptable, it really is. One presumed that the new shutter would have solved this oil/dust problem but clearly not.

Peter, how many shots was that image after the new shutter installation?

That shot was around the two thousand mark. The first time it went back it was returned with the shutter count set back to zero. This time it came back with a shutter count not re set. I have contacted Jessops (they have very helpful so far) again to see what they advise this time.

You should read this instead which is an updated service advisory with Nikon offering a free repair or shutter replacement for life on the D600.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59693/related/1

Where did you glean that it would be for life ??

" As stated in our article "To users of the Nikon D600 digital SLR camera" posted February 22, 2013, Nikon has been accepting cameras for inspection and corrective servicing for the issue described below. At this time, we are announcing that we will continue to provide this service free of charge, even after the product warranty has expired. "

I would suggest that "for life" is stretching it a bit.

I meant they would provide free service for the abnormal dust issue even after warranty is over - in that respect only, not for any other defect.

Seems some users, who've already had the shutter replaced, are being told they can't avail of this new advisory even if they are still having dust / oil issues!
I've had my shutter replaced and so far, no issues, but I've not been using the camera much recently. Hopefully I'll not have to test if I can sent it back again.

Can I use my d600 with a yongnu 560ll off camera with a wireless trigger pt016 and what settings do I need on the camera ?

A fun photo I took while my daughter was playing with the Matryoshka doll set.

DSC_1492
by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

I've got a D610. Not had it long, but dynamic range and sharpness plus ISO performance in low light seem a lot better than my old D5000

I guess because of the oil spot issue's the D600 has attracted lots of bad attention and mud sticks as they say. I've recently picked up a D610 too, it is a fantastic camera with IQ very close to a D800 with more manageable file size. I've done a few comparison shots with my D3s and SOOC the colour rendition, auto WB, DR are all streets ahead.

I can understand how the closeness of the AF points and AF in general may put some off, but for studio, landscape and personal stuff it is perfect for me. One thing that REALLY bugs me is the lack of ability to zoom to 100% with a single button press.

Last edited:
I'm a landscape and cityscape tog, the autofocus points don't bother me too much but a greater spread would be nice. Seems a well made thing too.

I've got some lovely blue hour shots of the Glasgow science centre. The old d5k would blow out the lit up sections, the historgrams look a lit better on this and the detail a lot better.

I'm processing them tonight

New D610 processing RAWs, I've fired the shutter 100 times. I've two, and I mean too tiny spots you find going peaking. Its not worth cleaning the sensor over, I can clean it myself or get someone to do it if its a problem. They're so easily removed in PP its easier to do that.

Well I have been offered a full refund on my d600. Will put it towards a D610 and then get back to taking photos. I hope to post a few here instead of ones of my spots :)

I've come from a D5000 and D80 to the D610. I've paired it up with a 24-70 F2.8

I got the 16-35 F4 for my D610 after the 24-120 F4 next, seems logical. The 24-70 is a lovely piece of glass isn't it?

I got the 16-35 F4 for my D610 after the 24-120 F4 next, seems logical. The 24-70 is a lovely piece of glass isn't it?

Its cracking, the sharpness is terrific, I love it. My only worry, so far not realised, is it may not be quite wide enough. I'm tempted to stick a 16-35 F4 on it, and the 24-70 on a crop camera for times I need more reach.

Here's a set of casual images I took recently using different lenses.

For the first time I tried to shoot mild action with my daughter running towards me. I am satisfied since I shot it with the Nikon 28 -105 D lens which is not a AF speed demon of any kind. I will try BIF next time.

D600 with Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D.

Shooting a subject running towards camera - AF-C with 21 pt and AF-ON - Both shots cropped to almost 50% or more

DSC_2054

DSC_2062

D600 with 85mm F1.8G portraits

DSC_2083

DSC_2106

DSC_2093

D600 with Tamron 70-300 USD VC

DSC_1994

I've fired off 1000 shots with it. On a 610 there are now several oil spots appearing, they are dark and small and still easily removed, at first there was 1, now there is 4. I can DIY clean (albiet last time I did that on a crop sensor it didnt end well as I am clumsy). I am cloning them up and well, without being brash, I've stumped for a D800 anyway with a Ziess 21mm (bonus from work innit). I'll leave the 24-70 on the D610 and use it for general use and the 800 for my landscapes. Panamoz are giving 800's away new for the price members sell low count ones on here at.

Hill house

Newcastle

Glasgow scienc centre

Full res images can be seen on my webshop in my sig or here

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-stephen-taylor.html?page=1

Great images Steve, especially the Newcastle one. I wondered if I could pick your brain on something relating to the D600, and those bottom two shots are an excellent example of where I potentially need help.

I've recently bought a D600 and although I haven't had the opportunity to take it out of the house yet, I was orienting myself to how it operates last night and was very disappointed to find that unlike my Canon 600d which I've upgraded from, when in live view there's no exposure preview like there is on the Canon. I've since learnt that you can activate it in the movie settings, which is fine, but that it apparently won't alter the image anywhere slower, and therefore brighter, than 1/30 second (or have I got the wrong end of the stick here - I've only learnt this today and don't have access to my camera right now?).

Anyway, I appreciate you don't want to rely on exposure preview too heavily and given the DR of the 600, my assumption is that if I shoot in Aperture priority and fix the ISO to 100, or even auto ISO, for that matter, the camera's metering will get me a decent enough exposure in most cases that I can make any necessary tweaks in Lightroom, in the same way as when shooting on the Canon in manual, getting the exposure meter bang in the middle of the scale would generally give me the desired result. My question is, how do you manage to focus using live view in low light? On the Canon I'd have zoomed into the live view image at the thing I wanted to focus on, cranked the shutter speed up to the point where I could "see in the dark", as it were, and then bring the exposure meter back to the middle once I'd got my focus. Landscapes account for at least 60% of what I do and rely on live view extensively as my eyesight isn't really good enough to get sharp focus on landscapes through the eyepiece. I guess using hyperfocal distance properly, rather than vaguely aiming a third of the way into the scene, would be one way to cope, but given that it relies on being able to estimate distances accurately, that might not be appropriate for me. Can't believe I managed to buy one without realising this, but I naively assumed that it exposure preview was standard on all DSLRs, given that an entry level model from early 2011 managed it easily enough.

While I'm at it, does anyone else think the AE-L/AF-L button is ridiculously placed given that it's the only realistic option for back-button focus? With my eye pressed up to the eyepiece I literally can't get my thumb onto it because my cheek obscures it completely. The directional buttons that you use to move the focus point is almost as bad - I'm finding that I'm having to hold the eyepiece slightly away from my eye in order to operate any such buttons on the right side of the rear, which is obviously not ideal. Is it possible to move the focus point using one of the wheels? Even then it's not ideal as given the number of focus points, you really need to have 4-way control over where it goes. I guess I'm going to have to see how I get on with focus and recompose.

If anyone who's been using a D600/610 for a while fancies sharing any tricks they wish they knew about when they first got it, I'd love to hear them.

I use back button focus. I tend to compose in the OVF, focus manually (its got an infocus indicator anyway) and if using the autofocus press the AE a few times until it picks the right point. My images require a deep DoF so I doubt its been wider than F11, F11-F16 is what I use depending on focal length, distance from nearmost subject to rear most subject and whether I feel the autofocus is upto the task.

I use centre weight metering and tend to over expose slightly, I find in post its easier to darken (unless clipped) rather than increase exposure on something too dark. I don't use aperature priority, I don't trust the cameras metering and yes you can compensate using exposure compensation, but I prefer just to do it manually as it locks the exposure and free's up the AE--L button purely for autofocus. I rather consider the camera's reading, and what I think it should be, and over/under expose accordingly. I could spot meter different parts of the scene and work out the exposure by doing that, but I chose the centre weighted option as it sort of considers the whole scene. I use live view only once composed in the OVF to lock the mirror and then self timer release. Its easier than cable release and Mirror up I find.

When I take the shot, I check the histogram to ensure I am happy with the spread of light in the image and then re-do. Thats why I love digital, you get instant histograms and 100% scrutiny of a shot.

I am very pleased with the camera, so much so I have ordered a D800 so I have 2 35mm format bodies. The D800 I will use with a ziess 21mm prime really for my ultra wide landscapes, maybe order a 14mm prime and the 610 will carry my 24-70. I am a clumsy bugger and avoid lens swapping like syphillis.

Last edited:
I've been busy with the D610 and 24-70. Over 1000 clicks and now 4 oil spots from none. All removable in PP still.

Am I dissappointed that its oiling, now. I can either DiY clean it, or pay for it to be done. Its only 'cos its new. A pal had the 600 and it stopped after 10k clicks oiling IIRC. Its already within a month on 1k clicks and I am a leasure only user. Its a good travel companion and with the 24-70 pin sharp, heaps of dynamic range and no more bulky to travel with than my old DX gear. I am reduced to trains for travel and its proving ideal. I've ordered a D800 as well plus a ziess 21mm for more landscapes I will be doing, the extra res nice and I am used to two bodies.

A few off it so far

Sunset

Manchester Cathedral

Glasgow Science centre

Intercity 125

Light trails

A building, Manchester

Great shots there Steve, a shame to hear about the, "oil" issue. let's hope it doesn't get much worse.

Reactions: ST4
I tend to shoot narrow aperatures, F11 or smaller, so it exacerbates the issue. They are right at the end of the frame, one has appeared a 3rd down and a 3rd in, but I've had no issue PPing any out, so its not a deal breaker. Its probably a bit like a brand new car, it'll bed in and stop doing it. Its cleanable and at the mo, they are removable so not a deal breaker, just a slight annoyance.

The DR really moves it on from my old crop days and the sharpness of 24-70 is mesmerising.... Full res of these are unreal for detail and I can get pretty big prints off it. I've done a few A3 ones on a crop and been a bit meh...these will be superb.

Nikon Market the camera as ideal for travel and with a zoom like a 24-70 it covers a lot of bases bar ultra wide landscapes, but I have the D800/ziess for that.

Back