Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Anyone that owns a Nikon D6** and D800 or has experience of both in comparison AF wise, is there much difference between the two cameras? Mates thinking of getting the D610 as he is on a tight budget but he wants the Fairly goodish AF for Wildlife Photography...

I have a similar question, whats the D600 like for small birds, I did have the D7000 which uses the same AF system which I found okay??

I bought my D750 then some cheap lenses due to budget and system change. I have seen a Nikon refurb D600 for £700 which come with a 12 month warranty. I have sent my D750 back as there was debris in VF so I am now thinking is getting a cheaper body and buying the 300mm f4 and which uses up my budget. Then save for a D750 and sell the D600, unless I get on with the D600.

Im looking at my options and trying to stretch my money as far as possible. Do I re-buy D750 and use crap lenses for a while or D600 with a good tele for a while until I change to D750 if required.?

In my opinion, the AF is rubbish. The AF point spread is too narrow, it's very fussy in low light and only the central point is really good enough for wildlife - IMO.

Do I re-buy D750 and use crap lenses for a while or D600 with a good tele for a while until I change to D750 if required.?

D600 with good lenses, Always Lenses over Bodies IMHO Specially when its a 300mm f/4 which is a great piece of kit! I know a guy that uses the D600 for Wildlife he seems to get some good stuff from it, check out this shot ( D600 + 500mm f/4 )
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stone_snapper/16204437321/

Anyone that owns a Nikon D6** and D800 or has experience of both in comparison AF wise, is there much difference between the two cameras? Mates thinking of getting the D610 as he is on a tight budget but he wants the Fairly goodish AF for Wildlife Photography...

I used the D610 for about a year before switching to D800. Perhaps the D800 is a bit better especially in low light, but frankly I never had any problems with the AF performance on the D610 (not even on the D700 or D300 I used before). I always managed to focus somehow. Capturing birds in flight is always a lottery and not even D4 doesn't guarantee success.

I don't believe I ever lost an unrepeatable picture due to AF on the D610. I think that importance of AF performance for wildlife is overrated. Experience (in getting closer) and the lens is way more important.

This one is from the D600:
https://500px.com/photo/64705019/parakeets-by-mireksbirds

I used the D610 for about a year before switching to D800. Perhaps the D800 is a bit better especially in low light, but frankly I never had any problems with the AF performance on the D610 (not even on the D700 or D300 I used before). I always managed to focus somehow. Capturing birds in flight is always a lottery and not even D4 doesn't guarantee success.

I don't believe I ever lost an unrepeatable picture due to AF on the D610. I think that importance of AF performance for wildlife is overrated. Experience (in getting closer) and the lens is way more important.

This one is from the D600:
https://500px.com/photo/64705019/parakeets-by-mireksbirds

Thanks for the info will pass the info on, Interesting to hear there isn't much difference between the D610 & D800. I agree with you about the AF I mean the D800 is rated as having really bad focus from lots of birders but it works amazing well on my 400mm, as you say its the lens that counts more and also the photographer. Thanks for the pic link also looks really good and sharp :)

In my opinion, the AF is rubbish. The AF point spread is too narrow, it's very fussy in low light and only the central point is really good enough for wildlife - IMO.

Really... ?

Not sure about wildlife but I use my D600 all the time in low light for weddings and its fine. But that is after one of the early firmware updates. When I first bought it, it was a little hit and miss

Really... ?

Not sure about wildlife but I use my D600 all the time in low light for weddings and its fine. But that is after one of the early firmware updates. When I first bought it, it was a little hit and miss
As I said a couple of posts up, I think it's adequate but it's not really as good as it could be for a £1,200 camera - I could be biased from my years of a D300s. Could be just me who doesn't get on with it but I don't think slapping a DX af into a FX camera was good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

The AF in the D600/610 isn't as good as the AF in a D4, but I've not really found it to be terrible as some would seem to think. It can struggle in low contrast, but then many can. I don't shoot much wildlife or birds in flight, but I did have a play with shooting running dogs, albeit in good light and with using a 70-200, they were running across and towards me. In something like 200 shots it just about never missed. How much of that is down to the lens and how much the camera I'm not sure, I doubt too much was down to me though ;)

The AF in the D600/610 isn't as good as the AF in a D4, but I've not really found it to be terrible as some would seem to think. It can struggle in low contrast, but then many can. I don't shoot much wildlife or birds in flight, but I did have a play with shooting running dogs, albeit in good light and with using a 70-200, they were running across and towards me. In something like 200 shots it just about never missed. How much of that is down to the lens and how much the camera I'm not sure, I doubt too much was down to me though ;)

Sounds fast enough for most types of wildlife then, specially if the subject you tested was running right at the camera! Will pass this on to him, think he shall be buying one soon!

I certainly would hope a camera like the D4 would have a FAR superior AF considering its price and its Nikon's flagship camera

I own both. The AF is IMHO noticeably better and more reliable on the D800. The points are better spread on the sensor and its better in low light. The D610 AF is pretty lowsy actually in my view compared to a D800.

Last edited:
Didn't get much chance to shoot with my new D610 that Nikon sent me as replacement to the D600. I noticed two things as different other than the feature difference in the brochure

1. The shutter sound is more softer and kind of nicer
2. Images are written on the card slightly faster (noticed on taking bursts). I might be wrong and it could be my mind.

Haven't yet setup the camera with the settings I had on the D600. Took few random snaps and here's two of them. Both taken with the Nikon 85 F1.8G. Second one with a SB700 bounced off the ceiling in off camera mode with the commander option set in Camera for manual power.

AAD_0130 by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

AAD_0149 by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

my D600 began its journey back to the service centre today for the second time. Lets see if they can get rid of the oil this time!!!

my D600 began its journey back to the service centre today for the second time. Lets see if they can get rid of the oil this time!!!

Did you ever have a problem convincing them it was oil? I had a note on my return slip explaining about how dust is a common issue on sensors etc. I haven't tested it properly yet but I suspect that mine has issues again on the sensor and I've hardly used it since it had the shutter replaced and sensor cleaned about a month ago.

Do old vintage lenses work with the D600? Like old M42 or M39 with the appropriate adapter. I don't want to have to use them like a macro. I've read they can't be used normally.

You can use them with an adapter but it needs to be one with glass in to use infinity focus. But even then not always though, a couple of the lenses that i tried fouled the adapter with the rear element when focusing, it was at that point i just gave up :LOL:

Well it looks like I have not escaped.... Noticed dust on my images today. looks like a trip to Nikon for camera

Not normal dust then John? I thought you had your D600, for quite a while, so would have been lucky enough to have escaped the D600 problem?

Not normal dust then John? I thought you had your D600, for quite a while, so would have been lucky enough to have escaped the D600 problem?

Yeah I bought it in 2012 and maybe it is normal dust but I noticed it taking a photo of a blue sky on F22 and the sensor clean plus blowing with air bulb has not shifted it. I am not keen to start cleaning sensor with swabs

Yeah I bought it in 2012 and maybe it is normal dust but I noticed it taking a photo of a blue sky on F22 and the sensor clean plus blowing with air bulb has not shifted it. I am not keen to start cleaning sensor with swabs

Makes sense then, to let Nikon, sort this for you. Only drawback, is the lack of a camera, for a few weeks.

had my d600 for 2 weeks- took 100 shots maybe and noticed dirt in pics. 10 day turn around for them to get it back to me so not too bad! had new shutter plate put in with clean all round!

Great that doesn't sound to bad. Once its sent can you track its progress

Yes you get a email on arrival of camera at nikon and a ref number and login details to track progress of the fix while it's there

Just wondering how long repairs to the sensor dust issue usually take on the D600 ?

They received my camera last Wednesday but it still says " Your equipment is awaiting repair. " on the website

The first time I sent mine for sensor dust, it took almost 2 weeks. The online status is not properly updated by Nikon. I received my camera back and it was still showing awaiting repair. It changed the day after.

The next time I sent in along with a letter, I was sent a D610 on the 3rd day.

Just wondering how long repairs to the sensor dust issue usually take on the D600 ?

They received my camera last Wednesday but it still says " Your equipment is awaiting repair. " on the website

Hi John,
My advice to you would be to call them!

The first time I sent mine for sensor dust, it took almost 2 weeks. The online status is not properly updated by Nikon. I received my camera back and it was still showing awaiting repair. It changed the day after.

The next time I sent in along with a letter, I was sent a D610 on the 3rd day.

Thank you.....

Hi John,
My advice to you would be to call them!

Yeah I might just do that, anyway the girl on the phone sounded nice :wave:

Last edited:
OK I phoned Nikon the girl said she was mark it as 'Urgent' the next day it was marked as "Under Repair" and now I just got a message saying its coming back tomorrow - Result :) I am pleased I phoned thanks for that advice

On the repair list it says

Fit new spare parts Metering, shutter and exposure accuracy checked - recalibrated if necessary. Image capture, playback and delete functions checked. X-sync, hot shoe and speedlight function checked. Body depth, body focus, AF accuracy checked and recalibrated if necessary. Image Sensor, optics, mirrors, and viewfinder cleaned. Firmware version checked and updated if required. Check, test and clean equipment

Parts Fitted
  • SHUTTER PLATE UNIT 0.00 1 0.00
  • RUBBER UNIT 0.00 1 0.00
  • DOUBLE STICK TAPE B 0.00 1 0.00
  • DOUBLE STICK TAPE C 0.00 1 0.00
  • DOUBLE STICK TAPE F 0.00 1 0.00
  • DOUBLE STICK TAPE G 0.00 1 0.00
  • DOUBLE STICK TAPE H 0.00 1 0.00
  • DOUBLE STICK TAPE I
So looks like they have taped it back together with tape :D

So is the Shutter Plate Unit the actual shutter ?

Back