Nikon D700 help required

raider2727

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I have just sold my entire Canon outfit after being a Canon man for 25 years, I have just ordered a Nikon D700 after reading so many good reviews and I have turned my back on the 5D MKII in favor of the D700.
First question is as the movie thing is of no interest to me was my choice a good one.

I decided I wanted to go full frame for lots of reasons and once you decide that is the option my 40D, EF24-105 f4 IS and EF 70-200 F2.8 non is PLUS 1.4 EXTENDER never seemed good enough, so I took the plunge

Secondly I am left with a budget of just £800 to buy 3 used lenses; I know nothing about Nikon lenses and would love some advice.
To give you an idea of the types of lenses I would like I will tell you what I would go for if I was using my Canon experience.
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tamron 28-70 f2.8 DI and a Sigma 70-200 f2,8 EX DG MACRO MKII.
I have no idea how well these lenses will perform on my D700 but as it is arriving on Tuesday I feel I need to get this sorted ASAP.

If anyone has any advice on different lenses, bad experiences with the ones I mentioned I would love to hear from you.

So in advance thank you for taking the time to read this and any help you can give.

Regards
Tony

See my thread here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=160295

I was considering the D700 route myself, mainly to get the AF that my 5D simply doesn't have. Problem is that I'm really not convinced about the mid-range Nikon lens options.

As it happens, I've owned a Tamron 28-75 (Canon mount) and used it with my old 1D. AF was worse than the 24-105 and whilst sharp (after being returned to Info2020 for re-calibration) colours always seemed more washed out when compared to photos taken with the L's that I had for comparison.

Do let us know how you get on. I can see you loving your D700, but wondering what's going on with the lens side of things.

Hi
Thank you for the links and info it is much appreciated.
I think the Tamron might be something i will probably forget about.
i am watching a couple of the Nikon 35-70 f2.8 lenses on ebay they seem to be selling for between £250 and £300 and yes priced will be rising again now now the D700 is taking off.
It appears everyone who owns a D300 is trying to sell it to get the D700 so a great time to buy a used D300 as also the D300S arrives this week so prices will be falling.

Has anyone tried a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG on a D700? would love to know if they are a good match

Thanks again
Tony

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG on a D700

Yes, it works well. My sample is as good / better than a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S.

great news on the Sigma, is it much much heavier than the Nikon equivilant?

Thank you, are you using the Sigma 70-200 IF, the DG non Macro, The DG Macro MKI or the DG Macro MKII.
I have found a DG non Macro for a good price or a MKII Macro like new for £125 more and do not know if it is woth the extra money?

Has anyone tried the Sigma 15-30 on the D700?

Back