Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Can this not be done with a CF card ?

What I learned from a Nikon in the US user regarding saving the settings:

"In the root of the card, when using a card reader (MTP mode might differ!) you will see a file named:
NCSETUP4.BIN and another named NIKON001.DSC - I suspect the first one is the important one in this regard. Save these in the same style as you do with your images, i.e. BACKUP."

Hope this helps, I'm going to give it a try when I've bought a decent card reader. I always download from the body.

Excellent ! Thanks for that, I will give it a try later.

Am now the owner of a D700 and WOW!! Quite impressed with playing at 1600 and 3200 ISO compared to my D300. A few things I am not so keen on - the top display seems smaller, and the thumb dial is not as nice imo but IQ wise seems very good. Why did I wait so long!! A few questions though?

- What does vignette control do (control vignettes obviously but didnt have this on D300)
- Focus Tracking with Lock on - difference between short, medium and long?
- Am on firmware a 1.03 and b 1.02 - is this up to date and any reasons to or not to upgrade?
- Have a speck of dust in viewfinder, no evidence of this in images, even taking a pic of the white wall, and when i close the viewfinder shutter/curtain you cant see it, so seems to be around there. Any way to get rid of this?

I had the D300!! and loved it... and want to either upgrade to the d700 or d600 if I can afford.

What lens do you use. I loved my d300 but I sold it after seeing the high iso performance on my friends d3s, which made me want to buy the cheapest nikon fx in comparison, d700 :D.

I never got the test my d300 with a nice 50mm prime (1.8), I have a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which was "okay" but I want better low light high iso performance.

I had the D300!! and loved it... and want to either upgrade to the d700 or d600 if I can afford.

What lens do you use. I loved my d300 but I sold it after seeing the high iso performance on my friends d3s, which made me want to buy the cheapest nikon fx in comparison, d700 :D.

I never got the test my d300 with a nice 50mm prime (1.8), I have a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which was "okay" but I want better low light high iso performance.

At 3200 ISO its around the same or even better than the 300 at 800iso! Everything seems sharper, espcially the 24-70 wide open.

At 3200 ISO its around the same or even better than the 300 at 800iso! Everything seems sharper, espcially the 24-70 wide open.

:D 3200 equivalent to 800 on the d300 is just mind blowing... I have my heart set out on the d700 and im itching to buy one!! :D

:D 3200 equivalent to 800 on the d300 is just mind blowing... I have my heart set out on the d700 and im itching to buy one!! :D

Do it!! I am blown away by low light stuff, and the best thing is that is basically a d300 body!! It may well get cheaper as the 600 takes off, but at £1k its a great buy.

Spooky said:
Title says it all. Have switched on D700 this morning and can not go beyond x250 in either S or M mode. No problem in A mode.

Problem is, I do not know where this x250 came from - other than it changes when I change the flash sync speed - nor do I know how to switch it off.

Any help would be super lovely. I have consulted the manual and searched the forums here but to no avail

Cheers

Spooks

Perhaps you have Auto ISO on?

this is posted in another thread to.
d700 iso 25,600
straight from raw
SJB_4396straightfromraw.jpg

edited raw.
SJB_4396straightfromrrawedit2.jpg

Anybody.

Why wont my camera trigger the studio flash (connected by sync cable), when turning it to upright (portrait) format with shutter release at the top. It works fine other way round and in landscape and even upside down. Total mystery to me.

My second D700 is OK.

Anyone??

jeff

Last edited:
It sounds like the cable connector is twisting slightly and not making proper contact (when shutter release is at the top).

Jeff.B said:
Nikon 24-70 f2.8 suddenly experiencing focussing problems, continually hunts. Anyone had this.

jeff

Yes, just recently. I need to try the lens on my other 700 to see where the issue is. It could just be the contacts need cleaning.

Does anyone here use a wireless shutter release? I am looking for one that when in bulb mode I can press once to start the exposure and once to finish it.

I have the Yongnuo 602's but they require you to hold the button when in bulb mode.

Thanks

was thinking of buying the tamron 24-70mm vc for the d700 as opposed to the nikon 24-70
any comments ??

was thinking of buying the tamron 24-70mm vc for the d700 as opposed to the nikon 24-70
any comments ??

Had a non VC one and a decent lens but the 24-70 is better. Is it worth the extra?? Depends on budget. If I didn't do paid work I would probably rather have the tamron and some primes, rather than the Nikon (if money an issue) and nothing else. However the Nikon is sharper and better tones, plus is very well built.

Hi All, I'm looking at buying a D700 soon and I take it that I won't be able to use my Sigma 17-70 (for my D90) on it as it's not a full frame lens?

I know I can use my 50mm prime but the majority of stuff I shoot tends to be wide so what lenses are out there for a full frame camera such as the D700? I'm thinking at the lower end of the price range :)

Also, would I notice a big difference in overall performance between my D90 and the D700?

I know I can use my 50mm prime but the majority of stuff I shoot tends to be wide so what lenses are out there for a full frame camera such as the D700? I'm thinking at the lower end of the price range :)

Look into the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (preferably with an aperture ring so it doesn't have the built in motor so AF is better), around £150 second hand.

Or a tamron 17-35 - one in the classifieds now for £200 if you need wider. The 28-75 is a decent lens.

Thanks both, is 28mm on full frame pretty much the equivalent of 17mm on a crop sensor?

Anyone have any feedback on my D90 vs d700 question?

I went from D90/D300 (same sensor) to a D700 and was shocked by how big a difference there was - it's not just the high ISO performance, even at base ISO it's noticeably better. I really noticed it in blue skies - there was always some noise there in the D90/D300 but D700 was much cleaner. The files are more forgiving if you push them too (exposure, shadows/highlights). I would also second the Tamron suggestions, both 28-75 and 17-35 are excellent options.

Thanks both, is 28mm on full frame pretty much the equivalent of 17mm on a crop sensor?

Anyone have any feedback on my D90 vs d700 question?
The equivalent of 17mm is about 25-26mm so it'll be a touch wider. If you wanted something wider than 28mm then the Nikon 24-85 VR could be a good choice and is relatively inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

The equivalent of 17mm is about 25-26mm so it'll be a touch wider. If you wanted something wider than 28mm then the Nikon 24-85 VR could be a good choice and is relatively inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Indeed and I hear the older 24-85 AF-s (non VR is also pretty good)

You might also enjoy some of the older Nikon manual Primes. Both the 24 and 28mm 2.8 AIS lenses are lovely (especially the 28). It's a nice cheap(ish) way of getting very good quality lenses that are a joy to use..

Cosina 19-35, got mine for £70. Replaced my £800 Nikon 16-35VR and I really can't tell the difference in the images.

Also if you want stupid wide, the Sigma 12-24 is a good laugh.

Also, would I notice a big difference in overall performance between my D90 and the D700?

Apart from the IQ the D700's AF blows the D90's out of the water.

Much quicker, way more accurate and it's able to keep focus with moving subjects in AF-C mode much better.

That's why I never went back to my D90 when I bought a D700.

A bit of a random question for someone who doesn't own one, does the D700 have blinkies? cheers :)

Edit - should have read from not for :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Cheers Graham @gad-westy :) , I presumed it would have, not that I have a D700 and I won't bore you with the reason why I asked :D

Having had a play with a friends D700 (initially found that although the files were definitely less noisy at high ISOs than my D7000 they also had less definition/detail when cropped to give the same image size, cropped more than the D7000 obviously) but now having had a further play and leaving the files at full res all I can say is WOW-- ISO 3200 as clean as a whistle.
I was thinking of upgrading to the D750 but now I am thinking, do I save the money and get a D700 at half the price.
The question I have is though, from people that have used them both in real world situations, with the D750 having the newer sensor I would assume that it would be cleaner still than the D700 but it is also double the resolution so does it outperform the D700 at High ISO or it that there is more detail in the files at the expense of noise.
Love, Love, Love the control layout on the D700 whereas the layout on the D750 looks more like my D7000.
Obviously now though I am going to have to wait for stock of the D750 because of the flare issue but I am not in any rush, its more of an itch that needs scratching if I'm honest.

Going from reviews the D750 is better than the D700, not that the D700 is a slouch but the 750 is meant to be better. There's something like £1000 price difference at the moment though. That's a lovely lens to put on the front of that D700 ;) Nobody would judge you for getting the latest camera though!

Having had a play with a friends D700 (initially found that although the files were definitely less noisy at high ISOs than my D7000 they also had less definition/detail when cropped to give the same image size, cropped more than the D7000 obviously) but now having had a further play and leaving the files at full res all I can say is WOW-- ISO 3200 as clean as a whistle.
I was thinking of upgrading to the D750 but now I am thinking, do I save the money and get a D700 at half the price.
The question I have is though, from people that have used them both in real world situations, with the D750 having the newer sensor I would assume that it would be cleaner still than the D700 but it is also double the resolution so does it outperform the D700 at High ISO or it that there is more detail in the files at the expense of noise.
Love, Love, Love the control layout on the D700 whereas the layout on the D750 looks more like my D7000.
Obviously now though I am going to have to wait for stock of the D750 because of the flare issue but I am not in any rush, its more of an itch that needs scratching if I'm honest.

The D750 is a superb camera, my wife bought me one for Christmas but I just couldn't get on with it so managed to get it sent back. If you have the budget its a much better camera apart from handling which was my one major problem with it. It might just be because I am just used to the different layout of controls I have on my other cameras though so I wouldn't let that put you off.

I have owned 2 D700's and even though I have superior cameras now my D700 still gets a fair amount of use and while yes compared to the new cameras its a bit long in the tooth it is still an extremely capable camera and an absolute bargain at the prices they go for now.

Good man (?) :D They are a steal these days, what lenses are you pairing it up with?

Back