Nikon D7000/1 to FX...but now I think perhaps a Df

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
In my other thread...

Nikon D7000/1 to FX

...I talk about moving to FX and the price of the D750 is three hundred (£) less than a Df. Now the Df appeals because it's based on a Nikon FE (in style) and I had one of those. I know about setting up a camera, I don't need Scene Modes (never used any, on any camera), I have a GoPro for video and you can't get better than that and I hate menus. Is THIS the camera for me?

Anyone got one, what are your opinions and what is your history regarding camera ownership (so I can see the relevance to my own GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) to yours).

I've not used one, but the guys a Digital Rev felt that the Df wasn't as good as it should have been for the money. Using a D4 sensor and then the D610 AF was a gripe too.

I don't understand why having scene modes is an issue, just don't use them?

Plenty of folk of course are more than happy with the camera and it has great high ISO performance.

The two Digital REV videos with a Df

Df review

Df compared to the D4

Last edited:
Scene modes are not an issue as such, I've just never had the need to use them. Let's face it, all scene modes do is set the aperture, the shutter speed and the ISO to get the best shot according to a series of algorithms for a particular scene and so change the lighting, the depth of field and the amount, or lack of, camera shake or blur. I have been a photographer on and off since the early 1970's and am quite capable of setting the above parameters far faster than I am at deciding which scene I am looking at then selecting the right mode on the camera.

I have seen those videos before but ran through them again and I have to admit, while I like the look of the camera it's really not worth the money they are asking for it; I shan't be bothering with it and will probably go with the D750 in the New year.

Oh I couldn't agree more, most people who are at a level of buying that kind of camera don;t need scene modes and never use them. I don't think I've set my dials for anything other than A, S or M in the 8 years I've been into photography!

I suppose it's an odd one for them to continue to include on these level cameras, but I doubt it adds much to the production cost and it might generate a few sales from new people with more money than sense.

Back