Nikon D7000/1 to FX

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D7000 camera which is DX but all my lenses are FX and I am now thinking of moving to an FX camera. I wouldn't use the expensive capabilities of the D810 but the price difference between the D610 and the D750 is not a problem but I don't want to get more than I need for hobby photography. If I can afford the D750 is it even worth considering the D610?

What do you shoot mainly? The D610 is a fantastic camera let down by the poor AF point spread so if action is your thing, you may want to consider a D750.

If you do landscape like me, then the D610 is great as I'm shooting on a tripod with manual focus and live view.

General photography, Stum, whatever takes my fancy at the time. I'm trying to consolidate all my photo gear as I carry all prime lenses at the mo and am thinking of getting the D750 body with the 28-120mm zoom, selling my 28mm f1.8 and my 50mm f1.4 and maybe in the future buying a superzoom when money and inclination permits. So many permutations it makes my brain sore!

I would recommend you have a play with a D610 then and see if the AF is fine for you, the quality of the AF is good (especially centre point) but the rest of the points are very closely packed together indeed.

I know what you mean about it making your head hurt, I had the same problem when I debated between a D800 and D610, and now the D750 has come out I thought do I get that? But I've come to realise the files I get from the D610 won't look any different from suddenly getting a D750.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of a jump from a D7100 to the D750. I say in the middle because it arrives on Monday and I've already got a buyer for the D7100.

I too had mostly FX lenses and the D750 felt like the right time for me to make the step to FX. Neither the D600/10 or D800/10 felt right at their respective launches, and I don't need a D810 right now.

Most of the reviews I've seen have suggested getting the D750 over the D610 if you have the money as it's refined a bunch of things.

If you already had a D610 then the jump to the D750 is more questionable. But coming from DX I feel my choice of the D750 is a solid one of the options available.

Last edited:
Where've you bought yours from DBT? Did you buy it with one of the stock lenses? How much have you paid?

Mine like a few others here is from Panamoz. It's a grey import, but at £1263 it's considerably cheaper!

Didn't buy any lenses from them with it. I already have a 24-70, 70-200 and a 105mm Macro. Did buy a 50mm 1.8 from amazon to go with it though!

I've just done the jump from a D7000 to the D750 and absolutely love it. I has to buy in the UK as I wanted the camera quickly for my son's birthday and my D7000 needs repairing. Absolutely love it, huge step up especially in high ISO which I never felt the D7000 was very good at.

I've got a decent amount of FX glass already but want to get something wider than the 24-70 I have.

I'm still umming and ahhing and am thinking that with the wi-fi being able to interact remotely with a phone and the fact that I can upgrade my phone in February makes me look at January for the purchase date and perhaps the price will have dropped a little by then. I have all FX glass although my widest angle one is 28mm. However for really wide angle I have a Gopro hero 3 which, if the lighting is good, takes stunningly sharp stills with it's fish-eye lens.

I had put the GAS genie back in it's bottle abd decided not to get the D750 until at least February however my son was in America and asked me if I wanted anything while he was there. I spoke to him about the D750 but decided that the price difference was not worth the hassle of bringing it back to the UK and anyway I'd decided not to buy yet.

But the genie was right of the bottle again and this time I couldn't resist him and now own a nice new D750 and am a considerable number of pounds lighter, or at least Barclaycard is until they pass it on to me.

I only received it today and haven't done much with it. I did take a picture in to a very dark area of the house tonight with the ISO wound up to 12500 and the result was extraordinary. Sure there is noise but the picture is useable; my D7000 wouldn't even focus with that little light.

Impressed so far.

lmfao. Welcome Martin :D

And just to finish this thread off. The D750 was faulty, I sent it back, got a full refund and then went out and bought a D810; this appears to work. It is big, it is a beast and I love it.

Back