Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Sorry I have to disagree, I went from the d5100 to the d7000 and all the extra controls, the extra screen on top to show your setup, the extra dial. Everything makes the d7000 feel like a proper camera. Built more solid too. I've stuck a grip on mine and it will remain by my side until it stops working in 200,000 or so actuations.

Perhaps I wasn't clear what I meant, I totally agree functionality is much better but when bumping the ISO up into the higher numbers I thought they were all very much better than the previous generation and as such, the difference in noise levels seemed quite close between them.

Stuck a 3rd party grip on mine and am pleased even if it isn't as secure as it could be.

Anyone got the battery Grip for this yet? Nobody seems to have it in stock yet :| Frustrating!

Anyone got the battery Grip for this yet? Nobody seems to have it in stock yet :| Frustrating!

Theres some meike ones on ebay for about £40. Seem to get good reviews, thinking about one myself, but will need another lbracket to use on a tripod, so may not bother...

Theres some meike ones on ebay for about £40. Seem to get good reviews, thinking about one myself, but will need another lbracket to use on a tripod, so may not bother...

Think I'm gonna order one at the end of the month so will comment then

Yeah i was just looking at those myself after i posted, bit concerned on build quality, does anyone use one that can comment?

Perhaps I wasn't clear what I meant, I totally agree functionality is much better but when bumping the ISO up into the higher numbers I thought they were all very much better than the previous generation and as such, the difference in noise levels seemed quite close between them.

Stuck a 3rd party grip on mine and am pleased even if it isn't as secure as it could be.

Ah I see. Well I've just reviewed my d7000 on amazon and one point I made was that I'm no pixel peeper and cannot see much difference in image quality over my d5100.

The Mike grip is £29.99 and class, solid kit.

I got a Meike grip for my D800 (.99p on eBay :naughty: ) and it is pretty solid and everything works brilliantly - the rubber grips are much thinner and inferior to general camera grip rubber and the Nikon original grip but everything else is good.

Ah I see. Well I've just reviewed my d7000 on amazon and one point I made was that I'm no pixel peeper and cannot see much difference in image quality over my d5100.

That's what is on mine, very satisfied. I'm currently using six rechargeables as that was what was in the house at the time (y)

Mine doesn't even have a brand I don't think :LOL:

cool, i checked out the youtube vids on the D800 one, looked pretty decent. For me, i dont think it will get a huge amount of use but i'd like to have one just in case, at £40, why not!

cool, i checked out the youtube vids on the D800 one, looked pretty decent. For me, i dont think it will get a huge amount of use but i'd like to have one just in case, at £40, why not!

I'm interested how you get on with it. I've got a nikon version for my D7000 and miss it on the D7100. I think £260 for the nikon version is a little steep, even the D7000 was £200 but i used tesco vouchers through jessops and it was a little better price wise. Its much easier to take photos in portrait with a grip, and my little finger doesn't drop off the end of the camera too.

Does any one else find you can accidentally scroll the focus point as the d pad is a little further up? i keep on doing it.

That's what is on mine, very satisfied. I'm currently using six rechargeables as that was what was in the house at the time (y)

I actually ordered a genuine grip today. Been having issues with my aperture branded one (looks identical to the mieke grip from what I've seen). It was perfect before but now my lenses have a bit of weight to them I keep loosing the connection and I can feel the wobble a lot. That said it's about £190 more!

I actually ordered a genuine grip today. Been having issues with my aperture branded one (looks identical to the mieke grip from what I've seen). It was perfect before but now my lenses have a bit of weight to them I keep loosing the connection and I can feel the wobble a lot. That said it's about £190 more!

Yeah there's definitely some wobble in the cheapo one I have. It's doing ok so far though so will keep using it. Ideally I don't want invest too much on accessories as I do still want to move up to full frame which was the original plan before I sidestepped by buying this.

There was a genuine MB-D11 in the Classifieds earlier. Looking at it there is an extra lug on it which must lock into the base of the body and provide extra support which is why they don't wobble.

Yeah there's definitely some wobble in the cheapo one I have. It's doing ok so far though so will keep using it. Ideally I don't want invest too much on accessories as I do still want to move up to full frame which was the original plan before I sidestepped by buying this.

There was a genuine MB-D11 in the Classifieds earlier. Looking at it there is an extra lug on it which must lock into the base of the body and provide extra support which is why they don't wobble.
I suspect a lot of the wobble will be in the accuracy of fit. The rest will be in the plastic flexing. Or at least that's my assumption until I can have a proper look when the grip arrives next week.

I understand the not wanting to spend a fortune on accessories but right now I'm happy with my D7000 and have been investing in some good quality lenses which have highlighted an issue with the cheap grip (for me).

I think the only body that would make me upgrade is a D800 as it gives me full frame and DX at good resolutions or maybe a D400 if one ever happens as I have a 17-55 2.8 DX lens and full frame would mean a 24-70 or 24-120.

I suspect a lot of the wobble will be in the accuracy of fit. The rest will be in the plastic flexing. Or at least that's my assumption until I can have a proper look when the grip arrives next week.

I understand the not wanting to spend a fortune on accessories but right now I'm happy with my D7000 and have been investing in some good quality lenses which have highlighted an issue with the cheap grip (for me).

I think the only body that would make me upgrade is a D800 as it gives me full frame and DX at good resolutions or maybe a D400 if one ever happens as I have a 17-55 2.8 DX lens and full frame would mean a 24-70 or 24-120.

On mine the fit looks quite reasonable, all the bends are in the right places but it only has one locating pin on the left side. All the flex I'm seeing is from the right side where there is just the electrical contacts (the genuine has another locating pin here). There is a very slight gap running between the body and grip which I've considered filling with some material or double sided tape but I don't want to pull it too far away and break the connection between the two items.

Initially I was saving for a D3s but I got sidetracked by the low prices of the D7000. A non strategic bid on a listing that had 33 bids landed me with one. I'll get my D3s in the future but for now I'm going to play with the 7000.

Hi guys, late to the party, but I am happy to be back in DSLR, just ordered D7000 with 35mm f1.8G from Amazon (before price went back up). My last DSLR was the Sony A700 which I enjoyed very much but decided to go the m4/3 route and bought into the system in 2010. Now that I have a young family, decided that the gear I have just not upto the job shooting my little'luns running around. So decided to go back to DSLR and since I always buy my gear as cheap as possible ie at their end of life cycle so when the D7100 was announced, been keeping a close watch on D7000 prices and with the Nikon cash back offer available until end of the month and Amazon dropped their price to £609(briefly), it was a no brainer to buy now. Looking forward to shooting with a DSLR again. Will also be looking at lens choices too. Happy days.....

Just ordered a D7100 complete with Nikon grip from Grays of Westminster.

They dropped the price yesterday and I was able to secure mine for £1098.00, well chuffed.

Just hope they send me a good un - should know by Tuesday.

Best of all the OH is supporting the upgrade but only if I move my D3100 kit on to help the finances.

There is. The Ael-AFL button ???

Can that be set for a focus button and top to actuate? My other cameras use the 'AF-ON' button (missing on D7000) and the AEL-AFL I usually use for locking focus before re-composing.

Decided to treat myself to a D7000, only had my D3100 a couple of months and am very happy with it, so much so it seemed a shame not to upgrade to the D7000 while the cashback offer is on as I felt a little limited to choice of lenses on the D3100 with it requiring the motor inbuilt, can't wait to get it, one question though, does the screen on the D7000 have a graphic option for it like the D3100 as I quite like it?

Can that be set for a focus button and top to actuate? My other cameras use the 'AF-ON' button (missing on D7000) and the AEL-AFL I usually use for locking focus before re-composing.

I may be missing something but why do you need to lock focus using AE AF if you're using AF on to focus. Just stop pressing AF on, that's what I use (well I use AE AF on set to AF on but same idea)

Good choice John, enjoy, its a super camera.

Thanks Steve. I also think it will be a good choice too;) This will be my second Nikon, had a D70 back in 2004. Then switched to a Canon 20D in 2007 and then Sony A700 which I enjoyed using immensely. Anyway, hope to post some pics soon and keep the D7000 thread flag flying high:clap:

Decided to treat myself to a D7000, only had my D3100 a couple of months and am very happy with it, so much so it seemed a shame not to upgrade to the D7000 while the cashback offer is on as I felt a little limited to choice of lenses on the D3100 with it requiring the motor inbuilt, can't wait to get it, one question though, does the screen on the D7000 have a graphic option for it like the D3100 as I quite like it?

Not sure what you mean

one question though, does the screen on the D7000 have a graphic option for it like the D3100 as I quite like it?

If you mean the graphic that shows the relationship between shutter speed and apperture then NO,that feature was aimed at beginners to help them understand exposure!(y)

Just got a Tamron 28-75mm non BIM from the bay for my D7000, this lens is PIN SHARP wide open and focuses FAST! Will be selling my Tamron 17-50mm as the focal length of the former is better for me.

If you mean the graphic that shows the relationship between shutter speed and apperture then NO,that feature was aimed at beginners to help them understand exposure!(y)

Oh, that's a shame as it was much better looking than the normal display:crying:

Is the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 OS HSM DC Lens a good choice for the D7000? I have an option over this lens (£100) but my experiences of Sigma on Sony bodies has not been encouraging.

There's quite a bit of vignetting at 18mm, but the centre is very sharp.

Experimenting at 16mm - interesting results!! (Facebook compression BTW).

971081_517030118356488_623810487_n.jpg

Last edited:
jesus, that horse looks like a right freakish beasty at that range/angle :D pretty funky though!

I thought that!!! Took a load or normal shots then decided all sorts. Was lying on the floor for that one.

Back