Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Anyone got the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 (cheaper non VC version) on their D7000? Any good, any links to pics? Cheers!

ive had one for quite a while now excellent lens, I'm just looking to upgrade to a nikon vr version just hope the extra dosh is really worth it as the tamron is a great lens for the money, heres link to some pics

A macro example using tubes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/6927966250/in/set-72157631753334559/

Night portrait shot (very random !)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/8013381949/in/set-72157631753334559

Some shots last summer down the Lizard
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/7765422036/in/set-72157631753334559/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/7765651668/in/set-72157631031647226/

Some shots from Tour of Britain Depart last year
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/7988311208/in/set-72157631540658494

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/7988345026/in/set-72157631540658494/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/7988402154/in/set-72157631540658494/

Some night time cycle racing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sibbald/7987973994/in/set-72157631539814160

Theres loads more in my flickr with that combo

Anyone got the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 (cheaper non VC version) on their D7000? Any good, any links to pics? Cheers!

I've never had one, just to clarify that. All reviews state it is very slow to focus, but optically very good. I got my 70-200 for action shots mainly so I left it and went straight for the Nikon 70-200VR1 which is very good and super fast. But about twice as much second hand vs tamron new :)

Oh, that's a shame as it was much better looking than the normal display:crying:

Just think about how much longer your battery life is going to be when you don't use the screen.

I left mine switched on over night a few days ago by accident and it didn't drop by 1 bar!

Well the battery Grip just arrived at work, 5 days after i ordered it, which i though was a pretty good turn around. Looks to be a pretty decent build quality but having never held the Nikon one i can't really compare it. The dials move nicely, the focus/shutter button has a good enough feel to it. I'll have a play around tonight, just hoping the dials on it don't work in an opposite fashion to the camera dials, that might throw me a little, must have read about that happening to another one somewhere.....the instruction book does give them the correct functions so shouldn't be too concerned....:)

Last edited:
Well, no problems at all, all working as expected, nice firm fitting. It does feel a little bit "hollow" but considering its plastic it feels strong enough. Would be happy to walk around with it in hand and held by the grip only. For me though the major bonus is the sustained FPS shooting it allows, you can rattle out hundreds of pictures at 7fps on the 1.3 crop instead of it dropping after the initial half a dozen picture bust. Which for me is great as i mainly do equestrian stuff with mine. :) Very happy.

Update.

Got my camera back yesterday. (just over 2 weeks, which isn't too bad really)
It's been to Nikon service centre in Surrey.
No parts replaced. Checked AF, metering, shutter etc etc.
Cleaned sensor, optics, mirror & viewfinder. (obviously not done in a clean-room environment, as there is now a fibre in the VF :roll: )
They've taken 30+ shots.

I took a few pics yesterday, but weather is appalling so not had chance to try for any birds, but it didn't seem any better.

This eve I took a series of pics of a bank-note @ approx 7mts distance with my 300mm F2.8 lens + 1.7TC (my birding combo)
Taken on a solid surface, Aperture priority, mirror delay, VR off.
Used AF-C with dynamic 9 points, AF-s with single point, & even a couple in Auto AF-S single point.

Minus- AF fine-tune was far the worst, so + needed.

These are 3 severe crops;

No AF fine-tune
dct3kl.jpg

+20 AF fine-tune
28mcvhj.jpg

Manual focus in live-view
2zs8ns5.jpg

I'll be ringing the dealer first thing in the morning! :crying:

I would go for a refund or replacement. That is really bad service, Nikon should know and do better. I mean this is their premium focus system.

I would go for a refund or replacement. That is really bad service, Nikon should know and do better. I mean this is their premium focus system.

If the dealer offers me a replacement I think i'd take that, under the proviso that if THAT isn't as it should be, I'll take a refund.

Can't believe that Nikon reckon this camera is fine!

How long have you had the camera with you to use since bought? It seems that it has been with nikon longer than it has been with you?

How long have you had the camera with you to use since bought? It seems that it has been with nikon longer than it has been with you?

I bought it on 26th March. Didn't get to use it much because the kids were on school hols.
Been in touch with Nikons online support since 5th April for nearly 2 weeks, back & fro with shots.
Took it into the dealer on 23rd April.

Over 2000 clicks on it now, mostly testing the damn thing!

Last edited:
Spoken with the shop again this morn & they offered to either send back to nikon again (no chance!) full refund, or wait to get another body in for exchange, but could be another week or more, as they're still waiting for stock.

They couldn't be more helpful & apologetic really, so :clap: to Wilkinson's.
(glad I bought local)

In the end though (after agreement with my moneyboss) i'm getting a D800E instead :cool:

Hate to put a dampener on your purchase of D800E but a work colleague has just received a refund for his D800E because of exactly the same issues you have suffered with the D7100. The feeling he had was that it wasn't the first 800 that had been returned with this problem.

Will the dealer let you try the body out in the shop first? My friend wish he had bought it in a 'proper shop' rather than online.

Have bought loads of kit in the past from Wilkinson's and they're great to deal with if you have a problem.

Last edited:
Spoken with the shop again this morn & they offered to either send back to nikon again (no chance!) full refund, or wait to get another body in for exchange, but could be another week or more, as they're still waiting for stock.

They couldn't be more helpful & apologetic really, so :clap: to Wilkinson's.
(glad I bought local)

In the end though (after agreement with my moneyboss) i'm getting a D800E instead :cool:

Out of interest, why would you go for the D800E over the D800?

Thought I would just add to the many users, got my D7000 and a nice little 35mm f1.8 yesterday, still have my D300 but thought with the current pricing the D7000 was a nice little upgrade (in tech terms if not necessarily in functionality) and so far suitably impressed with setting it up and first few shots taken.

This is part of my program of getting back into photograpy after a fairly long 'lean time' so fingers crossed everything goes to plan :D

Sharper pictures no doubt, like the D7100 it has no anti-aliasing filter and if he is shooting birdies and likes to pixel peep then its the better camera. Personal preference really i guess :) I don't think there are any other differences.

Sharper pictures no doubt, like the D7100 it has no anti-aliasing filter and if he is shooting birdies and likes to pixel peep then its the better camera. Personal preference really i guess :) I don't think there are any other differences.

I did consider the D800e over the D800 but ended up buying the D800. The price difference wasn't sharp enough to justify the E ;)

One from today. Was driving through the Celtic Manor and noticed some rather nice old cars. Have only had my samyang fisheye for a couple of days so still learning how to use it...

8745391272_24929ebf7f_b.jpg
[/url]
NIKON D7100-_DSC1292-Edit.jpg by /Cud, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hi Geoffrey, hopefully it will be fine, but if it isn't, it TOO will go back. I could take a lens into the shop & try it out, but tbh, i'd rather check it out at home. Yeah Wilkinsons are very good.

I was going to go for a D800, but again they're waiting for stock, so would have to wait a week or more. Wilkinsons D800E price is one of the better ones, + when my `moneyboss` said "oh go on then", I thought why not. It will be a camera i'll be keeping for quite some time.

Hopefully, it'll be a tad sharper without the AA-filter so could help with bird shots, (maybe macro too?) although i'm no pixel-peeper really.

Finally managed to get my first lens for the D7000 body I bought over a week ago, its been killing me looking at the body and not being able to use it. Its only the 18-105mm VR so not the best but at least I can now have a play.
Now I just need a good IQ telephoto or zoom (300mm-400mm) for my passion which is small birds and wildlife and within my budget of £300, second hand should broaden my search.
Oh and some good weather so that I can get out and about.

Its a good lens, that is for sure and certainly not as bad as some make it out to be, but obviously not as good as the high end glass and is built to a budget.
At least I have now started to build my collection albeit with only one lens so far.
My Canon gear will probably be be up for sale at some stage from my first experiences with this D7000.

Just got mine today, after 2 days of it being held up for delivery because of it due to being delivered by the 23rd, so the couriers decide to keep a hold of it until the 23rd :thinking:, so I rang them up and asked why they have not delivered it, they turn round and say no problem we will send it out tomorrow, a little bit weird, happy I got it today though, means I can spend the weekend trying it out and learning it.

I do have a slight issue I cannot figure out if any one can help, the fn button function, I set it to ''Framing Grid'' in the menu, I tried it earlier and it worked fine after I set it, but now I try it and cannot get it to show, only way to get it to show is turning it on in the shooting/display menu, but then it's on all the time in the view finder and the fn button does nothing when set to it:thinking:, any help?

I also tried setting this and it didn't work

Yeah, it was a weird one, I figured it out, I went to the setting and pressed the ''?'' and it explained it, you have to press the ''fn'' button and turn the rear command dial to turn it on and off:nuts:

I have found that my D7100 is not showing the 35mm equivalent in the EXIF data.Is anyone else having the same problem?:shrug:

I have found that my D7100 is not showing the 35mm equivalent in the EXIF data.Is anyone else having the same problem?:shrug:

I m not sure it should because what ever focal length you use is the actual one, ie, a 35mm lens is a 35mm on a DX body or a FF body

On all my others d90 and d7000 it shows the equivalent of 35mm that's why the function is there.I have emailed Nikon asking about it.I am not very happy about the green cast on the rear screen.Also it has a facility which the D7000 didn't have (I think). When the d7100 is used in AUTO it's default is to use auto ISO,I wondered what was going on, as I had auto ISO switched off in the menus. I had to press the ISO button on the rear and turn the sub command dial to turn auto ISO off. The locking mode dial is a lot better than the D7000 one as I was always knocking it which cocked things up.:|

I would say no, but if you cant find a d a g is still very cheap for a prime

Back