Nikon D7xxx owners thread

85 D is still current and made of metal - sharp and tough but uses your screw motor

85 G is more plastic but has autofocus motor so you can over ride focus (I rarely do)

Otherwise very little difference

I bought the 85D from the classifieds. Razor sharp and my go to portrait lens. Way cheaper than mew G series. It is an fx lens so sharp edge to edge on d7k. I tend to use it at a minimum of 2f"8 for sharpness.

Cheers

It's a nice hunk of glass - reassuringly solid

I think the D series lenses have all the optical goodness of G, the distance measurement ability too - we just save money on the autofocus as we have spent that on the camera. For expensive hobbies, great performance/cost ratio.

I think I'm partly not 100% convince I'll properly use an 85mm which is why I'd rather save some cash, the D seems readily available used but the G never seems to come up (probably a measure of how good it is!).

I'm looking to build a Prime Setup to cover off most things which currently is only the 14 f2.8 and 35 f1.8

I'm looking to add either the 50 f1.8G or 85 1.8(G/D) along with something wider, looking at a Nikon 20 f2.8 prime just now or another Tokina 11-16 but that was quite large and heavy which is what I want to avoid and I'm very much setting up a travel kit.

85 D is still current and made of metal - sharp and tough but uses your screw motor

85 G is more plastic but has autofocus motor so you can over ride focus (I rarely do)

Otherwise very little difference

I bought the 85D from the classifieds. Razor sharp and my go to portrait lens. Way cheaper than mew G series. It is an fx lens so sharp edge to edge on d7k. I tend to use it at a minimum of 2f"8 for sharpness.

Cheers
I rarely over ride focus but I find focus rings that move when using AF an utter pain. It doesn't have to be over ridable but it mustn't move when using AF.

Nikons answer about the 35mm equivalent not showing up in EXIF data in photo editing software.

Thank you for your e-mail and attachments.

Unfortunately I cannot offer support or comment on third party non Nikon software which Picasa viewer and FastStone viewer uses, as their technical information is not available to me. You will need to contact Picasa or FastStone regarding their software.

However I will forward your feedback to our 'design and quality' team for future review. Please bear in mind that this will not result in any direct feedback from Nikon or result in any firmware updates that include the EXIF data that you may want.

Please note that this EXIF data option is not available in Nikons software.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact Nikon support.

Kind Regards,

Martin Norton
Nikon Europe Support
www.europe-nikon.com/support

Is there any wonder Canon sell so many cameras:bang: Much more of this and they will be selling another one soon.:bat:

Well, I had it for less than a week and have sent it back for a refund. High ISO not as good as I expected but mainly the focus accuracy was not accurate. Was only getting 20% hit rate at f/2.8 (70-200 VRII) compared to 95% on the D700 - same focus settings. I probably took 6-700 sample images - the ones that nailed focus were very nice but could not understand why the focus was missing on so many. Anyway, a pre-loved D3s is my way forward............

Well, I had it for less than a week and have sent it back for a refund. High ISO not as good as I expected but mainly the focus accuracy was not accurate. Was only getting 20% hit rate at f/2.8 (70-200 VRII) compared to 95% on the D700 - same focus settings. I probably took 6-700 sample images - the ones that nailed focus were very nice but could not understand why the focus was missing on so many. Anyway, a pre-loved D3s is my way forward............

Have you tried autofocus fine tune? That seems to be the norm for most D7000's. Either that or sending it in for Nikon to calibrate.

Have you tried autofocus fine tune? That seems to be the norm for most D7000's. Either that or sending it in for Nikon to calibrate.

Yes, there was no front or back focus issues on a static test. Opted for a refund rather than sending off for checking. Think maybe I was hoping for to much for the money so have decided to spend more money..........!

Have to say I was impressed by my 7000 whilst using for a football match at the weekend, tracking/focus was pretty well spot on and any 'missed' focus was I am sure more down to my lack of accuracy than that of the camera but not being an expert by any means perhaps the missed shots were the camera too?

I've found I'm having to fine tune any lens I put on my D7000 to -20 (24mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8) to get sharp shots, not sure if its indicative of a problem with my camera.

Yes I would say so, I have tested mine with a 35mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 and a cheapo Sigma 28-250 and all have been spot on with static focussing, cannot fault any of them, clearly I have a good one but nonetheless if yours are that far out it would suggest it needs recalibrating?

However is all lenses are the same offset in the settings and are now focus perfect I am not sure I would bother worrying about it personally?

I picked up a Nikon 55-200 for my d7000 today, I tried my 50mm f1.4 on it but I need a flexi-walkabout-zoon , after reading Ken's good review, it will be interesting to see how it performs. (I has a tamron 18-270 but sold it, so this is the replacement.)

I might think about sending it into Nikon and getting it done, the -20 on all would suggest the camera itself is out by -20....

It's amazing how they can be manufactured and released to the public, soooo far out!

I might think about sending it into Nikon and getting it done, the -20 on all would suggest the camera itself is out by -20....

By the way, what is the easiest route to getting the camera looked at under warranty? Is there a specific email address to use or can it be done through the Nikon website?

By the way, what is the easiest route to getting the camera looked at under warranty? Is there a specific email address to use or can it be done through the Nikon website?

There is a link on the Nikon website - they will even pay postage both ways.
You fill out an online form, print out a postage label and off you go.
It took less than a week to send mine off and have it fixed and returned - all spot on now:)

Link :- http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/s...0&lidsub4=0&sParamValueLbl=&sParamValue=&dcr= and click the link in the "Return free to Nikon UK" section

Last edited:
Cheers Julian! Do you select 'service warranty' or 'warranty' at the bottom?

Last edited:
Cheers Julian! Do you select 'service warranty' or 'warranty' at the bottom?

I can't remember to be honest what I selected:thinking:

EDIT - looking at the form, I think I would have selected Warranty

Last edited:
I can't remember to be honest what I selected:thinking:

EDIT - looking at the form, I think I would have selected Warranty

Hmmm, I didn't really know the difference but selecting warranty involved enclosing warranty cards and proof of purchase which I've not seen anybody on here mention they had to send (they may have omitted this detail I suppose).

I also thought 'Service Warranty' as it is in effect a service under warranty rather than a mechanical repair or replacement/refund situation.

Anyhoo, if it's wrong they'll be in touch I suppose and I can email over proof of purchase etc.

Those of you who have had their D7000's calibrated...did you just send the body, or the lenses as well?

My warranty is up on October 11th so I'm thinking of sending mine in to be sorted. I'm on -5 on my kit lens, and -13 on my 50mm.

I'm happy with them, and it's taken me a while to get them sorted so I don't really know if it's worth sending it in or not.

I think mine are generally around -8 to -9. Have tried my old 18-55, AF 50 1.8, 18-105 and a Tamron 70-300. It's a bit annoying that they all need to be fine tuned but never mind.

Those of you who have had their D7000's calibrated...did you just send the body, or the lenses as well?

My warranty is up on October 11th so I'm thinking of sending mine in to be sorted. I'm on -5 on my kit lens, and -13 on my 50mm.

I'm happy with them, and it's taken me a while to get them sorted so I don't really know if it's worth sending it in or not.

Just my body. I send mine in out of warranty and they still did it free of charge and a full service. If in doubt just do it, it's painless, doesn't take long.

Just my body. I send mine in out of warranty and they still did it free of charge and a full service. If in doubt just do it, it's painless, doesn't take long.

Yeh, I've always had doubts about the camera, and even when I've fine tuned lenses I'm not particularly sure I'm right and getting the best from the camera... and for the £700 purchase price, I would have expected it to be there and or there abouts focus wise!

For the sake of a week without camera, I'm happy for the pros to take a look at it for my piece of mind.

I may have to consider sending it in at some point I think. At least it will be closer to specification then.

I acquired a AF-S 70-300 VR today so I'm curious to see how I get on with it. So far I'm not getting amazing results but with some practice that may improve.

I may have to consider sending it in at some point I think. At least it will be closer to specification then.

I acquired a AF-S 70-300 VR today so I'm curious to see how I get on with it. So far I'm not getting amazing results but with some practice that may improve.

It is a great lens with the D7000, but don't forget to keep your shutter speed up :)

Been umming and ahing about whether or not to get a D7000 for a while now. Finally decided today to take the plunge and ended up getting a really good deal on it. £642 from Currys but I went via Quidco so will get 10% cashback plus the Nikon £100 cashback. Just need to wait until tomorrow to collect it though.

I realised last night I have too many after sorting out to fill my new bag lol

Nikon 35mm f1.8G
Nikon 50mm f1.8D
Nikon 16-85mm VR
Tamron 24-135mm
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 105mm VR f2.8 Macro
Nikon 300mm f4

The lenses I will be using on my D7000 when it arrives will be;

Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC
Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR

I don't think i'll be allowed to upgrade any of these any time soon after I show SWMBO my new purchase!

"On another subject folks, whats your lens lineup on your D7000's?"

Nikkor 12-24mm f4.0
Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8
Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5
Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR

Riz :)

Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (Non-VC)
Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC USM - (Hoping to trade up to a 70-200 f2.8 in the future... and also need a bigger bag!)
SB-600 Speedlight

I love my 7k but I am being asked to do more weddings. So I may jump to full frame.
Current lens list -
Sigma 10-20
Nikkor 18-70
Nikkor 24-70 2.8
Nikkor 80-200 ads 2.8
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
Nikkor 105 (old school) f4 ais micro
Nikkor 70-300 vr

I've used my 7000 for some studio stuff and have been more than happy!

My lens line up for my D7000

Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Nikon 24-70 f2.8 (lovely lens on the D7000)
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS
Sigma 1.4 teleconverter for the 70-200
Covers everything I do (so far)

I'm torn between a prime lineup, mainly for travel and lightness.

Currently I've got the D7000 with a 24mm f2.8 and 35 f1.8, and its a joy to use.
I took a Sigma 17-50 to Paris and while the IQ was good I just couldn't get on with the heft of the kit so it stayed in the hotel most of the time.

Currently looking at a possible lineup of Nikon 20 f2.8, 24 f2.8, 35 f1.8 and the 50 f1.8, albeit probably ditching the 24mm for the 20.

Really fancy the 85mm but I find it a bit too long for DX and find the 50 a bit more versatile.

My lens line up for my D7000

Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Nikon 24-70 f2.8 (lovely lens on the D7000)
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS
Sigma 1.4 teleconverter for the 70-200
Covers everything I do (so far)

What is your 70-200 OS like on the D7000 Jules? Interested in a second hand one when one comes up if they're any good :)

What is your 70-200 OS like on the D7000 Jules? Interested in a second hand one when one comes up if they're any good :)

I can't fault it. The image quality is spot on, focus is nice and fast, accurate too. Build quality may not be up to Nikon standard but still built well. OS is great too.
I had the earlier version (HSM 2, the one before OS) and find this one streets ahead all round.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy again:)

Last edited:
How much does it cost for calibration when outside of warranty? My 16-85 and 35mm both need -17 fine tuning and even then I'm not sure if I have it spot on.

Would rather just send it off and have it done properly!

Back