Nikon D7xxx owners thread

How much does it cost for calibration when outside of warranty? My 16-85 and 35mm both need -17 fine tuning and even then I'm not sure if I have it spot on.

Would rather just send it off and have it done properly!

Been umming and ahing about whether or not to get a D7000 for a while now. Finally decided today to take the plunge and ended up getting a really good deal on it. £642 from Currys but I went via Quidco so will get 10% cashback plus the Nikon £100 cashback. Just need to wait until tomorrow to collect it though.

Thats a great deal! Very tempting, so thanks for posting (y)
I may also take the plunge

The Quidco cashback ends in 2 days apparently too!

I've just had an email from Quidco saying that my purchase has tracked but the value doesn't seem to be correct. On further investigation it appears that they have only paid the cashback on the net amount minus the VAT. If they don't pay the cashback on the VAT that's ok but the issue is that when they take off the VAT the price that is tracked in my Quidco account is £535 which brings the cashback percentage down to 5%. I'm going to contact them about this because it is very misleading. The Curry's link lead me to believe that if I purchased a camera over £599 then the cashback rate would be 10%.

Just something to be aware of if you do decide to go ahead.

Been looking for a longer prime and keep going between the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8 what is preferred of a DX body?

Not sure but I've got the 85mm and love it for it's versatility. Great outdoors and easily usable in the front room without havingto get too close to the subject.

Obviously 50mm is quite a bit cheaper if that's an issue.

Not sure but I've got the 85mm and love it for it's versatility. Great outdoors and easily usable in the front room without havingto get too close to the subject.

Obviously 50mm is quite a bit cheaper if that's an issue.

Not too worried about the cost, I was thinking that the 85 could be handy as a short telephoto as well as for portraits which seems to be it's biggest use. Just wondered if the 50 might be more versatile.

Took my gear on holiday to Cornwall. The more I use the D7100 the more I love it. I have taken some tack sharp images with the 70-300 VR mounted too.

Next up is the 85mm f1.8g for some indoor action and possibly a wide angle or fisheye for some fun shots!

Got the money for the 85 1.8 myself, but i'm still saving up for the 70-200mm, hate having money to burn, then i hate burning it and not getting the item i really wanted :D

I've just had an email from Quidco saying that my purchase has tracked but the value doesn't seem to be correct. On further investigation it appears that they have only paid the cashback on the net amount minus the VAT. If they don't pay the cashback on the VAT that's ok but the issue is that when they take off the VAT the price that is tracked in my Quidco account is £535 which brings the cashback percentage down to 5%. I'm going to contact them about this because it is very misleading. The Curry's link lead me to believe that if I purchased a camera over £599 then the cashback rate would be 10%.

Ah that's not ideal, how much will you be paying when the £100 cashback and Quidco is taken into account then? I was only hoping to pay £450 but could possibly have stretched to £480.

Edit - Topcashback match competitors so long as a URL or screenshot is provided so maybe they will give the full 10%?

Last edited:

Very sneaky indeed!

Ah that's not ideal, how much will you be paying when the £100 cashback and Quidco is taken into account then? I was only hoping to pay £450 but could possibly have stretched to £480.

Edit - Topcashback match competitors so long as a URL or screenshot is provided so maybe they will give the full 10%?

At the minute it's looking like I'm going to end up paying £515. If I manage to convince them that the quidco page was misleading and I get the 10% on the full sale value then I end up paying £477.

Ok, so i've just checked on the Quidco help pages (which are rather good) and it after selecting the camera transaction and that the amount seems to be wrong I got the message 'Don't worry, Curry's always tracks like this and then updates when the transaction is confirmed'

Just a quick note for anyone sending camera off for auto focus calibration under warranty... They have received my camera and have given an estimated date of completion of June 12th (or 2 weeks).

So anyone needing their camera any time soon, I'd possibly hold off on sending it away! I'll update if this date is brought forward at any point.

Last edited:
If I buy Ill just send back to retailer for exchange instead fo waiting for Nikon. Thanks for for the update though.

My 35mm f1.8 needs -20 AF fine tune to be perfect, spent a couple of hours last night testing it out, it seemed fine at first but after closer inspection -20 it is, I'm glad the option is there in camera though as it would be hard to spot without it.

It's only a coupe of weeks old so I could send it back I suppose, it's annoying to think about it tbh, my 18-55mm needs -6 so it could actually be just the lenses? with it not being -20 for the 18-55mm.

Just hope I don't get a lens needing more.

My 35mm f1.8 needs -20 AF fine tune to be perfect, spent a couple of hours last night testing it out, it seemed fine at first but after closer inspection -20 it is, I'm glad the option is there in camera though as it would be hard to spot without it.

It's only a coupe of weeks old so I could send it back I suppose, it's annoying to think about it tbh, my 18-55mm needs -6 so it could actually be just the lenses? with it not being -20 for the 18-55mm.

Just hope I don't get a lens needing more.

My 35mm 1.8 was by far the biggest back focusing lens I've used also...

Most lenses I've put on the D7000 have needed -8 to -9 but my 70-300 seems best at -14. I'm still struggling to get images as sharp as I'd like. Wondering if lenses need routine servicing as well as bodies?

Right I am beginning to wonder whether I am missing something with mine, if having checked using the 'text' style focus test it all looks ok on my D7000 why does everyone else seem to be needing adjusting? Is there a more 'accurate' focus test that I can do that really will show whether focus is spot on?

I am not consciously trying to find fault but all these comments from other owners is now making me feel I need to take an even closer look at whether my 7K is really as accurate as I thought it was

Any advice/pointers appreciated

Right I am beginning to wonder whether I am missing something with mine, if having checked using the 'text' style focus test it all looks ok on my D7000 why does everyone else seem to be needing adjusting? Is there a more 'accurate' focus test that I can do that really will show whether focus is spot on?

I am not consciously trying to find fault but all these comments from other owners is now making me feel I need to take an even closer look at whether my 7K is really as accurate as I thought it was

Try a close up off an eye, I was suspicious of mine because I focused on the eye, but it was not a sharp as other areas, I then cobbled together a focus test chart with a ruler to really see what was going on.

I actually thought my 35mm was fine at first, thinking it was just a little soft because of trying it out at f1.8 as you do :) and putting it down to hand holding with such a shallow DOF, I've yet to really try it out since discovering it needed -20 AF tune, but I am now hopeful more shots will be better.

Here is why I started to check it out, I put it down to user error but just had a niggly feeling it was off, I focused on the right eye or left, one of them anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivansflickr/8777413954/

Last edited:
Is there a more 'accurate' focus test that I can do that really will show whether focus is spot on?

There is the DOT TUNE method!
There is a full thread on here all about it,can't post the link as on my phone!
If you google it there is a YouTube video but just be aware that using dot tune on a Nikon is slightly different to the Canon method but it's all in the thread!

The thing is a lot of people dont suffer from the BF/FF issues, just like the D800 thread. After a few shots wide open youd know if something was up with it.

What size cards are you guys using with the D7000, I have just purchased a 32GB for slot 1 and am planning to use my existing 8GB for slot 2 with RAW+JPEG settings, is this OK to use like that?

Hoping it will allow about 1000 in RAW and the JPEGS with an 8GB should about match up if it works like that.

The thing is a lot of people dont suffer from the BF/FF issues, just like the D800 thread. After a few shots wide open youd know if something was up with it.

I only started noticing once I got some faster 2.8 lenses. With my cheaper variable aperture x-5.6 lenses it was fine. I meant to phone Nikon today but will be tomorrow now to see if I can drop it off in Kingston on Saturday.

My 35mm 1.8 was by far the biggest back focusing lens I've used also...

I think I am going to send the lens back, it was a used purchase from an online shop on ebay, they accept upto 2 week returns, I just can't seem to get it spot on and it seems a little random at times needing -20 and at others needing less, overall just not happy with it, i will purchase a brand new one from Wex and see what happens, if the same then the camera can go to Nikon, getting to me a bit as it's not the cheapest camera out there and for this to be happening is unacceptable.

I think I am going to send the lens back, it was a used purchase from an online shop on ebay, they accept upto 2 week returns, I just can't seem to get it spot on and it seems a little random at times needing -20 and at others needing less, overall just not happy with it, i will purchase a brand new one from Wex and see what happens, if the same then the camera can go to Nikon, getting to me a bit as it's not the cheapest camera out there and for this to be happening is unacceptable.

I am the same having dropped some considerable change on a 300 2.8 VR. Has taken the wind from my sails somewhat.

What size cards are you guys using with the D7000, I have just purchased a 32GB for slot 1 and am planning to use my existing 8GB for slot 2 with RAW+JPEG settings, is this OK to use like that?

Hoping it will allow about 1000 in RAW and the JPEGS with an 8GB should about match up if it works like that.

I use mine that way too but I have a 64gig in slot 1 and a 32gig in slot 2 - gets me about 1700 shots according to the counter. Overkill I know but at least I won't run out of room:)
I use Sandisk cards too and have never had a problem (yet)

I am the same having dropped some considerable change on a 300 2.8 VR. Has taken the wind from my sails somewhat.

I bet, wish it didn't have this problem, now I know it's there I will never be able to trust it and I know it will niggle at me, as a last resort it will go to Nikon with instructions of not to send it back unless perfect.
I use mine that way too but I have a 64gig in slot 1 and a 32gig in slot 2 - gets me about 1700 shots according to the counter. Overkill I know but at least I won't run out of room:)
I use Sandisk cards too and have never had a problem (yet)

Good to know, I may actually get a 16GB for slot 2 as I think it shows around 500 for JPEG fine on an 8GB, would like it to match up with the first card slot.

Terrific... just had an update from Nikon on my autofocus repair... a bill of £71 :|

It's under warranty!!!

If anything is going to go wrong, why does it alwsys happen to me :shake:

It's now out of office hours for them too, so can't persue this until tomorrow.

Terrific... just had an update from Nikon on my autofocus repair... a bill of £71 :|

It's under warranty!!!

If anything is going to go wrong, why does it alwsys happen to me :shake:

It's now out of office hours for them too, so can't persue this until tomorrow.

Not good, they must know it's under warranty:thumbsdown:

I just did some more messing, set the af tune back to 0 for the 35mm, then set the default to -20, took a shot and it has quite a lot of front focus, turn off af tune and it focused fine:bonk::bang:

So I get a nice bonus at work and no one local has one totally peed off today. Always the way when I have the money

Hope its ok to change subject.

Recently got a d7000 and when using shutter or apature priority the only focus point that lights up in viewfinder is the centre one regardless of wether im using single or multiple focus points.

It shows correctly on the lcd screen but not in viewfinder.

They will only show up in viewfinder if i hold in the centre button on the side of camera.

Hope that makes since and any help id be greatful for.

Hope its ok to change subject.

Recently got a d7000 and when using shutter or apature priority the only focus point that lights up in viewfinder is the centre one regardless of wether im using single or multiple focus points.

It shows correctly on the lcd screen but not in viewfinder.

They will only show up in viewfinder if i hold in the centre button on the side of camera.

Hope that makes since and any help id be greatful for.
Sounds like you have single point selected, use the directional buttons to move it to where you want it. There's a lock switch around the d-pad if that doesn't work.

Thanks maninsuitcase but its the same wether ive single point or multiple points selected , say ive 9 point selected the 9 points show up on the lcd screen but still only 1 in the viewfinder.

If i go to auto mode the correct amount of focus points are all there in viewfinder.

Checked the lock switch and its of.

Thanks maninsuitcase but its the same wether ive single point or multiple points selected , say ive 9 point selected the 9 points show up on the lcd screen but still only 1 in the viewfinder.

If i go to auto mode the correct amount of focus points are all there in viewfinder.

Checked the lock switch and its of.

Thats normal. The single is the centre point, the 8 around it don't light up at all but are used to help with the focus. Only auto and 3D tracking show the actual AF point in use. All the rest show you the primary, then you just need to remember if it's in Single, 9, 21 or 39 point dynamic mode. The idea is you keep the single point on the target, the other points are only there to help when you mess up, which I do. A lot.

Thats normal. The single is the centre point, the 8 around it don't light up at all but are used to help with the focus. Only auto and 3D tracking show the actual AF point in use. All the rest show you the primary, then you just need to remember if it's in Single, 9, 21 or 39 point dynamic mode. The idea is you keep the single point on the target, the other points are only there to help when you mess up, which I do. A lot.

I thought the other points only get used if you select them using the menu pad at the back, if you are in say continuous focus mode and using the 21 points, it will still only use the one you have selected (default being center) unless you use the rear pad to use a different one, well this is how mine works.

The way I under stand it is you say I want to you 1, 9 21 or 39 points. Then you pick the center of those. This gives you focus acquisition initially, then the camera will use all points set to help keep this in focus.

I may be wrong though, so let me check the manual.

Page 94 of the manual (114 of the PDF)

Dynamic-area AF: Select the focus point as described on page 96. In AF-A and AF-C
focus modes, the camera will focus based on information from surrounding focus points if the subject briefly leaves the selected point.

Which is how I explained just now. The OK button in the middle will either highlight the selected or centre the AF point depending on custom function f2 in the setup menu. I have it on select centre AF point, and usually use single or 9 point AF. I'll probably use 21 once I start learning birds in flight.

Back