Nikon D7xxx owners thread

The way I under stand it is you say I want to you 1, 9 21 or 39 points. Then you pick the center of those. This gives you focus acquisition initially, then the camera will use all points set to help keep this in focus.

I may be wrong though, so let me check the manual.

Im pretty much sure you're correct (y)

Page 94 of the manual (114 of the PDF)

Which is how I explained just now. The OK button in the middle will either highlight the selected or centre the AF point depending on custom function f2 in the setup menu. I have it on select centre AF point, and usually use single or 9 point AF. I'll probably use 21 once I start learning birds in flight.

I think it really depends on what focus mode you are using, but the original question was why it does not show all the focus points, to which I explained you have to set which one to use unless using AUTO, more for ease of composition, like for instance say I have setup a landscape shot, looking down a path down the center but I want to focus on a nearby tree on my right, I can then use the pad at the back to use a focus point on the right and it will use that without me having to move the camera.

Last edited:
thanks guys , i just wasn't sure as only new to the d7000 and assumed the other focus points would show up in viewfinder and light up as they focus like it does in auto mode .

a friends Nikon shows all the focus points in shutter mode like in auto mode so but maybe the d7000 is different to that .

Terrific... just had an update from Nikon on my autofocus repair... a bill of £71 :|

It's under warranty!!!

If anything is going to go wrong, why does it alwsys happen to me :shake:

It's now out of office hours for them too, so can't persue this until tomorrow.

Sorted hopefully...

Just spoke to the very helpful Lauren at Nikon UK who informed me it was an issue with the proof of purchase I sent with the camera (copy of an email from jessops online). She checked the camera was sent for sale by Jessops originally and then confirmed no fee would be due and said she'd asked for priority service to apologise for the delay.

(y)

Sorted hopefully...

Just spoke to the very helpful Lauren at Nikon UK who informed me it was an issue with the proof of purchase I sent with the camera (copy of an email from jessops online). She checked the camera was sent for sale by Jessops originally and then confirmed no fee would be due and said she'd asked for priority service to apologise for the delay.

(y)

That's good to hear. Hopefully you'll have it back soon.

OMFG, went to use my camera today and after about 7 shots it won't take anymore and just displays "err" on the top screen.

I've tried reseating the battery, formatting the memory card, changing lenses, settings etc etc and nothing works :(

I've mailed the supplier so we'll see what they say

So I picked up my D7000 last night and have had a quick play with it.

First impressions are that this is going to be one hell of a learning curve coming from a D3100....

The dealer will call me every time they get a new D7100 batch in for testing with him a few bodies and reporting on the issue to Nikon.

Hi Michael,

Can you give us an update on your tests? Have you been able to find any non-defective D7100s yet? Any word from Nikon UK on the issue?

Thanks

Erik

All being well pick my new body up tomorrow ready for silverstone sunday fingers crossed its not a duff one

2 or 3 posters on nikon cafe, are reporting problems with the D7100 when using TC's with their lenses.

First impressions are that this is going to be one hell of a learning curve coming from a D3100....

Yep. Went from D90 and still experimenting.

Well I sent back the 35mm today, it just was not playing nice at all with the D7000 for me, focus on one eye and get the eye behind it sharp, then next shot it would be sharpish but not as sharp as it should have been, there just didn't seem to be the right amount of af tune to dial in as it just seemed to change.

The 35mm was originally a used 35mm from curry's ebay store so maybe it was all ready a bad lens and that's why it was returned to them so they flogged it on, so keep your eye's out if you look at curry's, I wouldn't advise buying a 35mm if they put it back on ebay.

Now I am going to need a replacement, not sure if I should get another 35mm or go for the 40mm or the 50mm, any of you using any off the above have any advise when paired with the D7000.

Well I sent back the 35mm today, it just was not playing nice at all with the D7000 for me, focus on one eye and get the eye behind it sharp, then next shot it would be sharpish but not as sharp as it should have been, there just didn't seem to be the right amount of af tune to dial in as it just seemed to change.

The 35mm was originally a used 35mm from curry's ebay store so maybe it was all ready a bad lens and that's why it was returned to them so they flogged it on, so keep your eye's out if you look at curry's, I wouldn't advise buying a 35mm if they put it back on ebay.

Now I am going to need a replacement, not sure if I should get another 35mm or go for the 40mm or the 50mm, any of you using any off the above have any advise when paired with the D7000.

On my D3100, the 35mm was amazing and spot on. But when I upgraded to the D7k, I needed to fine tune the 35mm but now its perfect again and easily my favourite lens.

I came from a D3100 too. It was but you'll soon wonder how you got along without the extra buttons! Lol

OMFG, went to use my camera today and after about 7 shots it won't take anymore and just displays "err" on the top screen.

I've tried reseating the battery, formatting the memory card, changing lenses, settings etc etc and nothing works :(

I've mailed the supplier so we'll see what they say

Well, quick update for those interested. I left the battery out overnight and put it back in this morning and its back to normal :thinking:

Hopefully it's a freak one off :shrug:

First impressions so far not that impressed with. But only had a few hrs tinkering will get used to it in time

I came from a D3100 too. It was but you'll soon wonder how you got along without the extra buttons! Lol

That was what I was 'struggling' with the most. I instinctively headed for the menu button whenever I wanted to change anything. One weekend playing with it though and you're right, it's so much better having all these extra buttons!

Proud new owner of a D7000 and my first thoughts about this camera is that it has a bigger learning curve over the D90, I like the idea of the User settings and I will be fine tuning these until it is right, I have heard a lot of softness with the camera but hopefully that is down to settings, why did I not go for the D7100 it was price and with the £100 rebate on the D7000 just made it inviting.

Anyone else noticed how tricky it is to clean the rear lcd 'squeaky' clean! I have tried all my gentle tricks to totally remove those small smears from miro fibre / tissues (lens type) and still when held in certain light I can see smears ! Tried lens cleaner and tissues - no joy . Its not that the lcd is grubby - far from it ; but there seems to be a silicon surface built into the thing. Maybe its bullet proof (y)

This taken with my nikkor 24-70 but AT 6 inches 70mm - I thought the lens focus was over 12 inches so I am well pleased . this lens is a pleasure to use but it is heavy and a bit cumbersome.

weedflower2.jpg

Anyone else noticed how tricky it is to clean the rear lcd 'squeaky' clean! I have tried all my gentle tricks to totally remove those small smears from miro fibre / tissues (lens type) and still when held in certain light I can see smears ! Tried lens cleaner and tissues - no joy . Its not that the lcd is grubby - far from it ; but there seems to be a silicon surface built into the thing. Maybe its bullet proof (y)

I used a LCD screen cleaning fluid and microfibre cloth before putting on a stick on screen protector. It worked quite well, grease smears are a problem to clean off.

Hi Michael,

Can you give us an update on your tests? Have you been able to find any non-defective D7100s yet? Any word from Nikon UK on the issue?

Thanks

Erik

After testing a few from the latest batch I found one that was almost perfect and bought it for my wife. So I am now using the d800e and the wife the d7100 and I get to borrow it whenever I need it :)

Personally i wouldn't get the D600 and i'm happy with my D7000 as well. Only real benefit on a D600 is full frame but that would cause me problem.

For example on my D7000 i will normally use the lens 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which pretty much cover all the stuff i need when travel and go light.

On my D300 with grip i will use both of my bad boy lens which is the 28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 VR. The lens goes well with my D300 but doesn't balance well on the D7000 in my opinion.

D600 on both of my big lens will be the same as attaching the lens on a d7000 size body. So i rather get a d700 or d800 instead.

So therefore i'm happy with my D7000 too :) Nothing i miss when shooting on my D7000 that i need on a D600.

That's because maximum aperture of the cameras focus is f8. I'm pretty sure the Sigma with 2x converter would be f11

That's right f8 is the maximum for AF. A 300mm f4 with a 2x tc would auto focus ok as it would then be a 600mm f8. Anything above f4 with a 2x tc wouldn't officially work (300 f4 with 1.7 tc on d7000 worked ok in good light at f6.7, although nikon always said f5.6 was the max)

Oh yeah there is no disputing that. You can clearly see the difference in iq with the same lenses. Glad I took the chance in getting one now. Just got to spend the next few months getting set up now haha

After testing a few from the latest batch I found one that was almost perfect and bought it for my wife. So I am now using the d800e and the wife the d7100 and I get to borrow it whenever I need it :)

That's great! I am glad you managed to find one.
Just out of curiousity, how many have you tested? And from how many batches?

Thanks,
Erik

Tested 9 in total from 4/5 different batches

Wow. That is not very encouraging...
I have been planning on buying a D7100, but now, knowing that the chances of finding a healthy one are so slim, I might consider postponing the purchase until Nikon finally fix the production process. :bang:

Just try one from a later batch. Maybe a large shop that sells a few so that they do not keep old stock?

Good idea. If I find a shop around here (Budapest, Hungary) who will let me test it, I will give it a try. But that is a big IF :(
Most stores -even the majority of the big ones- don't even keep it in stock...

Back