Nikon D7100 new state?

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Bit of a strange one this......I bought a 'new' Nikon D7100 body which turned up today. The packaging on first inspection seemed a little 'off' as there was no seal present and was quite badly creased. The inner boxes were all showing signs of being opened and the plastic packaging was badly creased, the camera itself has a mark/burr half way up the grip and the cellophane on the rear screen has quite obviously been removed and replaced, it's creased and marked/lined/bubbled.....trouble is the screen itself has smears all over it as if crudely 'cleaned'. All appears to be there but I am considering returning so haven't bothered to turn the damn thing on even.

Can I ask if this is Nikon's current standard of packaging nowadays or would my suspicions be correct in assuming this has, possibly, been used previously?

I have thought long and hard about replacing my D300 with one of these and I feel a little deflated just now.......any advice much appreciated.

Where did you buy it from, was it from a genuine UK shop or was it eBay, or grey import

I too have just upgraded to the D7100 from a D300 (well technically from a D300 to a D700 and back down again to the D7100), but i can certainly say mine was packaged perfectly when i recieved it a couple of weeks ago, and that was a grey import

I'm sure you will be suitably impressed with it over the D300 though

You are clearly not happy so return it, from your description seems very likely to have been used

One sure fire way to check if it has been used is it to take one shot and upload it to one of the many "shutter count" websites to see what the shutter count is

Wonder if it is worth checking the shutter actuation?

Edit: Rich had beaten me to it. :D

Nikon boxes aren't 'sealed' but everything else sounds wrong - don't accept it.

Thanks all, I have since received a response from the seller who seemed genuinely keen to put things right, offering to refund return postage also. I did think about the shutter count but thought better of it....it certainly appears as if I have received a used one by the seems of it (possibly ex demo' maybe) so fingers crossed for the replacement.

Will drop a post on when/if resolved.

Where did you buy it from, was it from a genuine UK shop or was it eBay, or grey import

I too have just upgraded to the D7100 from a D300 (well technically from a D300 to a D700 and back down again to the D7100), but i can certainly say mine was packaged perfectly when i recieved it a couple of weeks ago, and that was a grey import

I'm sure you will be suitably impressed with it over the D300 though

I do still like the D300 rp'..........like many others I have waited for the D400 but it doesn't appear to be on the cards for some reason or another, should it ever materialise the cost will probably be prohibitive anyhow. I have read enough (probably every one out there) reviews to realise the D7100 should be a suitable replacement but I will miss the heft, layout and general feel of the D300, it has to go though to pay towards the D7100. Pleased to hear you're happy with yours and look forward to reporting back with a more positive and upbeat post.

The "feel"of the D7100 is not really like the D300 …… and that's what disappointed many

The D300 and the D700 are alike in "feel" and layout

You get the extra mega pixels with the D7100 and more up to date "this and that" internals, which helps it lower light etc., etc. etc. - but the D300 is still a wonderful camera, a classic as is the D700, which maybe the D7000/D7100/D7xxx has never quite lived up to….. which is a pity ……. it was relatively simple at the semi pro end when we had the D300, D700 and D3 ………. now it's all confused with the D610, D810, D750, D4S and no specific D300 replacement …… it looks as if Nikon are indicating that if you want a dedicated DX body, it's really "no go" just use the D610, D750, D810 and crop

run the shot and see if it is 1, if not then fair enough. the sooner you do it the better. otherwise you drag it out they won't allow you to return given the terms and condition of the sale. under distance selling act, you have the rights to return and cancel the sale within the period stated in the terms and conditions of the sale.

they won't like it and likely to ask you return at your own cost

Why even bother checking the shutter count if it's clearly been opened and handled?

That was my reasoning.........it's clearly been opened previously. It's packed ready to go back and I have assurances I will be refunded for return postage in writing so for the time being I am ok with it, it might be a genuine oversight. At least that is what I'm hoping.

Hi OC........it was a grey import from a well known source, I have sent it back today guaranteed delivery for tomorrow so would expect a response then too. Once resolved I will post up the outcome. From the prompt responses I've received via e mail up to this point I'm quite optimistic of a satisfactory result.

tbh, I would have taken 1 pic & checked the exif, just for proof in case the seller refutes it's not actually new, but it sounds like they are sorting it for you & hopefully no further problems. (be cheeky & ask for a freebie as an incentive not to report them to Trading Standards :D )

My reason for not taking a pic' and checking data was just in case it hadn't actually been used, just unboxed, handled and badly repacked.......by doing so I would of used it had they of checked and mine was the only actuation....I am just hoping they send another without issue, although it was signed for today at 11 o'clock at their premises and have had no response as yet.

It was probably used as a store demo. Still not 'new' though, you're right to send it back.

Duncan i
spoke to the warehouse manager tonight about your camera and
he said the camera was just like all the other cameras we
send out, in fact it has the bonus of having an english plug
which so may do not they usually have an adapter, he did say
though the screen protector on the back lcd did look like it
had been taken of and put back on , but the rest looked okay
so in light of that i will refund you as even if we swap to
another camera the likelyhood is you will receive virtually
the same again.
RegardsJohn

Outcome of sending back my 'new' D7100 body for promised replacement 'straight away'....the mind boggles, does it not?!

After the above e mail response I did get my credit card refunded on this and they previously promised to send a cheque to cover return costs so apart from a royal waste of time it seems to have been settled without issue, providing I get my cheque that is. Coughing to all camera's in their warehouse as being in the same condition and there being a likelihood I'd of received 'virtually the same again' though inclines me to think something is amiss. The one I received was not very well presented it has to be said......I feel quite relieved that the refund has been confirmed. I have one or two other suppliers in mind so will hopefully get sorted sometime soon.

can you tell us where you got such a bad deal from so we dont buy from the same place

Glad you got your refund.
(naming might help others decide the risks)

I realise that OC, give them chance to get my refund to me and I will report back.....up until this point I am inclined to think they have been fair, doesn't alter the fact that I wasn't happy with what I received, but I don't really want to beat them over the head with a stick if all ends well.

Understandable, BUT, that camera will be going out to someone else who maybe isn't as savvy.
Like I said earlier, if you'd taken 1 image with it you'd have been able to check the exif. Damaged boxes are one thing, scruffy cameras something else.

tbh, I think they've only been `fair` (as you put it) because you caught them out. ;)

I ordered another D7100 from HDEW after being specific with prior e mails about wanting nothing other than brand spanking new, placed my order last night after receiving assurances and received tracking details today stating next working day delivery via FedEx, fingers crossed but they are very prompt with responses so that instils a little confidence. The other supplier was Portus, like I have mentioned there hasn't been any issues in getting a refund, I am still awaiting my cheque but it's only been a couple of days so will assume it's on it's way?! There appear to be good reports about these guys but once bitten and all that.....I realised I was getting a grey import, (HDEW will no doubt be supplying one too, that I understand and am happy with), but to have received one in creased outer/inner boxes with a dirty rear screen, marked body and nasty looking screen protective cover wasn't right. My D300 rear screen is crystal clear/clean and it's god knows how old, it's not rocket science is it?....a bit of warm breath and a buff with a polishing cloth is all that's needed. It may of been a one off, it might be why they are so competitive on this particular body, the camera itself may well of been new but slightly soiled and I could of had myself a very cheap D7100 should I of kept it but to me it wasn't right hence the return.

Yes OC, I thought to return it as soon as I seen it really, so I'll just chalk it up as a bad experience that has been put right. Already had further confirmation that my camera is now in Bristol so Monday looks like a definite.

Pity you can't just go & collect it.
Waiting for the battery to charge will take ages when you receive it! :D

That's true enough....apparently FedEx class Saturday as a 'working day' so when I take the dogs out in a minute for an hour or so the Mrs has been 'asked' not to go anywhere until I get back. I'm in no huge rush, been thinking about one for an age now, but it would be nice if it did turn up today.

Turned up earlier today, all good.......Camera looks as should, ie: brand new, packaging nice and straight, Nikon European warranty card, extended 3 year warranty enclosed and the genuine manual is there too, no photocopied nonsense. Battery charging now so fingers crossed, so credit for now to HDEW for such prompt service.

Turned up earlier today, all good.......Camera looks as should, ie: brand new, packaging nice and straight, Nikon European warranty card, extended 3 year warranty enclosed and the genuine manual is there too, no photocopied nonsense. Battery charging now so fingers crossed, so credit for now to HDEW for such prompt service.

Indeed, HDEW is where i bought mine from, and i was very happy with their service, so much so i have bought a couple of lenses from them as well now

How are you finding it compared to the D300?

Hi rp'.........very 'light' overall but improved in responsiveness, it feels very slick and the menu's, although slightly different, seem very familiar so I can't see me needing the manual at all. Changing focus options are nice now, that's an improvement for sure and focus feels nice and snappy too. I don't like the twin dials and all the fancy picture options are something I'll probably never use....who knows. I think it would feel nicer with a vertical grip to add a bit of heft to it overall. It feels refined in comparison, the picture quality is very nice...only tried large JPEG but that's damn impressive it has to be said, especially when cropping. Talking of crop, the 1.3x option is a good thing and seemed to work well with my 180mm F2.8. Early days but overall I am pleased with it. Like I said, it feels very slick/polished/dare I say more 'modern' on initial try out, (nicely damped shutter btw), it has nowhere near the bomb proof feel of the D300 but there is something very intuitive about it. HDEW have been 1st class to deal with, ordered Friday/received today with immediate response to e mails leading up to the sale...really good guys to deal with.

Couldn't have summed it up any better myself, and yes HDEW really do seem like a decent bunch, they have certainly got my repeat custom

Back