Nikon D750 or Canon 5d mark iii for sports?

The Canon v Nikon debate is only validated because people don't want to feel like they've drawn the short straw.... The truth is they're both producing amazing cameras.

....Hear! Hear! :)

You have noticed that the only person making reference to the D4 is you havent you

Yep I have noticed that. Just as I noticed that you were the only one to make reference to the D3S.

So we've got D750, D3S, D810, D4, D4S, 5D3, 1DX, 7DMkII. All supposedly better than at least one of the other cameras. How on earth can anyone make any sense of it.

Yep I have noticed that. Just as I noticed that you were the only one to make reference to the D3S.

So we've got D750, D3S, D810, D4, D4S, 5D3, 1DX, 7DMkII. All supposedly better than at least one of the other cameras. How on earth can anyone make any sense of it.

I pointed out that the D750 shares the same (modified) AF system as the D810 / D4s. I thought you were going to get the Canon - stand by your convictions and just go ahead and buy it !

Thats because everyone on this planet knows the D3S kicks the arse of the 5D3 and the D750's AF is even better than the D3S hence the D750 makes an arse of the 5D3

Christs sake, try doing what everyone else does, Just go and buy one and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
D750's buffer is slow for sports/action. For the price of those cameras on your list, I reckon you'd be much better off with used D3/d3s. You can keep using all your CF cards and the buffers and batteries are seemingly endless.

D750's buffer is slow for sports/action. For the price of those cameras on your list, I reckon you'd be much better off with used D3/d3s. You can keep using all your CF cards and the buffers and batteries are seemingly endless.
I get approx 24-26 shots at 6.5fps in JPeg fine but only using 30mbs cards before it slows down, dont know how many more you need really, rarely used that with my D3S when shooting professional Rugby

Have you used one Scott? seriously, if you are shooting 3-5 second busts at 6.5 FPS it's not an issue. I mean who keeps their finger on the shutter for extended periods ? Watch, anticipate, fire ! Job done. Combined with the Lightning fast AF and tracking it's a very capable tool.

I don't mind the buffer as I always try to be ahead and catch the moment. So that's not an issue for me

The D750 is very intuitive to use...
Not to everybody. Personally I think everything rotates the wrong way on Nikons and half the buttons are in the wrong place. And I'm sure many Nikon owners think the same of Canons. One persons "intuitive" is another person's "exasperating".
The D750 is... very comfortable in the hand
Doesn't that rather depend on the size of your hands? It's notable that the 750D is the smallest full-frame DSLR on the market. So either there's a real possibility that it might be too small for some people, or all the manufacturers have been making them too large up until now.

Indoor sports screams "low light" to me. The 5D MkIII, while not exactly terrible, is just not in the same league when it comes to low light, and retaining shadow detail.

Have you used one Scott? seriously, if you are shooting 3-5 second busts at 6.5 FPS it's not an issue. I mean who keeps their finger on the shutter for extended periods ? Watch, anticipate, fire ! Job done. Combined with the Lightning fast AF and tracking it's a very capable tool.
I own a d3 and a d750, yes. Love the 750, don't get me wrong, but the D# series are just unstoppable when shooting regular bursts.

Not to everybody. Personally I think everything rotates the wrong way on Nikons and half the buttons are in the wrong place. And I'm sure many Nikon owners think the same of Canons. One persons "intuitive" is another person's "exasperating".
Doesn't that rather depend on the size of your hands? It's notable that the 750D is the smallest full-frame DSLR on the market. So either there's a real possibility that it might be too small for some people, or all the manufacturers have been making them too large up until now.

Perhaps just a question of adapting. I have quite large hands but also have a Fuji X-T1 which is tiny by comparison. The large grip with a deep recess on the D750 makes it fairly easy to hold with one hand,

The extra depth of the grip makes a massive difference to how it feels in the hand

Regarding the dials at least, you can set them to go the other way.

As for the D750 handling, it's about the depth of the grip for me, less the size of the camera. It feels probably double the depth of the D7100 I sold. I have large hands too.

And yes, Canon buttons are all wrong, I had to use a 7D for a week when my kit was stolen and it was a nightmare lol. As it turned out, I got some of my favourite images as I had to slow down and think more.

Back