Nikon D750 & D780

It's how I have become accustomed to shooting and I have no desire to change. I owned a D7000 for a year and couldn't adjust to regular focusing on that so sold it. Focusing with the Fn button is just wrong! ;)

Besides that 1/4000th top shutter speed and 1/200th sync speed also suck.

Tbh they are nice to have but not that bothered. Probably only taken 10 pics at faster than 1/4000 and the sync speed is not much slower than d700

I, like virtually every D700 owner, would just take the new sensor in the D700 body. :)

And that's the point. At launch, the d700 was just about perfect aside maybe from dual cards. All that was needed was to take the d700 body, stick the new sensor in, up the ISO performance and leave everything else the same. If it ain't broken, why change it!

Reactions: BBR
I honestly don't understand what they're doing... They've had two shots at making a great new camera; the Df and the D750. And in both cases they missed the mark with the design/styling/target audience IMO.

But, maybe that was intentional... to prevent too much "direct competition" within their own line-up. If that's the case, it was dumb, and it's working.

Last edited:
I can't understand the clinging on to the 6 year old D700 over an obviously superior and more modern camera like the D750.

Then a D810 fills that hole surely....
IMO, it does. But it's a tight squeeze.... with a few tradeoffs.
The main "negatives" (IMO) are huge files when they're not needed, minimal/negligible gains at higher "usable" ISO's.
The main positives are the ability to do things you can't w/ the D700 due to the huge files, dual cards, better performance at lower ISO's, 320 x-sync, faster AF. (and the quiet shutter is really nice too)
But if you're not going to make use of the positives, then they're not really "positives" are they?
So for most D700 users I see it as primarily a choice between costs/file size/ -vs- dual cards and low ISO performance (based on what *I think* is/should be considered important/relevant).

If costs (camera/file size) aren't a concern then the D810 is the obvious choice IMO. But there was a real opening here for the D750... they just screwed up the styling/design... again...

Last edited:
I can't understand the clinging on to the 6 year old D700 over an obviously superior and more modern camera like the D750.
Superior in some senses, inferior in others. Yes, the sensor is great, DR will be improved, but the handling is horrible for a shooter like me (as mentioned).

Possibly, if the AF is as good as initial reports suggest, the D800/810 never was even though the AF was based on the D4 AF which never happened in reality.
I don't think the AF is "as good" as reported... but it beats the D700/D800. I think it's easily as good as the D3 in all conditions (based on memory) and a very close match to my D4 in good light with faster/better lenses. I think the differences between the 810/4/4s in AF are probably to the level of being almost entirely subjective...(but I haven't actually used a 4s)

IMO, it does. But it's a tight squeeze.... with a few tradeoffs.
The main "negatives" (IMO) are huge files when they're not needed, minimal/negligible gains at higher "usable" ISO's.
The main positives are the ability to do things you can't w/ the D700 due to the huge files, dual cards, better performance at lower ISO's, 320 x-sync, faster AF. (and the quiet shutter is really nice too)
But if you're not going to make use of the positives, then they're not really "positives" are they?
So for most D700 users I see it as primarily a choice between costs/file size/ -vs- dual cards and low ISO performance (based on what *I think* is/should be considered important/relevant).

If costs (camera/file size) aren't a concern then the D810 is the obvious choice IMO. But there was a real opening here for the D750... they just screwed up the styling/design... again...

Why didn't nikon think about bringing out two models, the d750 as it is, and a d750s which is in a bigger body, no dial etc... Keeps everyone happy.

You'd have thought it would have been easier to design 2 or 3 bodies such as a dx, compact fx and bigger fx. Then work each "camera" around the body. At least then they'd only need 3 grips to match the body. And also the batteries would not have to change either. My move from d390s to d700 was painless. Batteries fitted. Grip fitted. Even those that moved from d3s to d4 had to change batteries and chargers.

You'd have thought it would have been easier to design 2 or 3 bodies such as a dx, compact fx and bigger fx. Then work each "camera" around the body. At least then they'd only need 3 grips to match the body. And also the batteries would not have to change either. My move from d390s to d700 was painless. Batteries fitted. Grip fitted. Even those that moved from d3s to d4 had to change batteries and chargers.

Think you're answering your own question here. Nikon are a business and they need to sell you new stuff.

Think you're answering your own question here. Nikon are a business and they need to sell you new stuff.
But maybe not. Don't see many d700 or too many others clambering for the d750. Not yet at least.
I guess if our lenses, flashes etc didn't fit our new bodies, some of us would be off to Canon! 7d2 anyone?

But maybe not. Don't see many d700 or too many others clambering for the d750. Not yet at least.
I guess if our lenses, flashes etc didn't fit our new bodies, some of us would be off to Canon! 7d2 anyone?

It was only officially announced less than a week ago !

Give it a chance :)

I don't think the AF is "as good" as reported... but it beats the D700/D800. I think it's easily as good as the D3 in all conditions (based on memory) and a very close match to my D4 in good light with faster/better lenses. I think the differences between the 810/4/4s in AF are probably to the level of being almost entirely subjective...(but I haven't actually used a 4s)

Anything beats the AF on the D800 ;) Will be interesting when the reviews come out to see how it compares to the D3 series of cameras, I personally can't see it being all around as good as the D3 series, maybe in good light, but low light situation I think the D750 will struggle, the D3/s/x is still better than the D810 (in situations) according to stuff I read online specially with converters on, 1.7x converter takes a massive hit on the D810 compared to the D3's, so if this is true the D750 will clearly have to be slower AF than the D810 so It will equal the D3 series or be just a tad under IMHO...

I don't think it will "have to be slower"... but I've never been able to figure out why cameras with the same specs (MultiCam/Expeed) have different AF performance in the first place. TBH, I'm not at all convinced my D4 is any quicker than my D3 was (edit) in most conditions.

I'll have to try some side by side D810/D4 comparisons with converters... but it won't surprise me if the D810 drops off with TC's, because it does in low light and it's kind of the same thing.

Last edited:
TBH, I'm not at all convinced my D4 is any quicker than my D3 was.

Interesting to hear, I'am thinking about upgrading my D3 to a D4 in the next 12-24months or so and the main reason being the AF is quicker, Is there a large different in low light or are the pretty equal all around? Mite just jump to the D3s for extra ISO if thats the case...

I can't say to be certain as I didn't get the D4 until after drowning the D3... I'm pretty sure the D4 is noticeably better in low light; which makes sense since it's an f/8 capable camera. The D4 is miles faster in CDAF than the D3... not that it actually matters.

The D750 is now £1709 at Jessops with discount code 'CAMERA5'. That is a straight £90 off the listed price.

I find my d4 af to be much quick and accurate than my d3s was. Especially in low light or backlight. I shoot wide open a lot and its staggeringly good.

If the D750 af is anywhere near as good as the d4, i'll be elated. Im definitely getting one. The small body is a plus rather than a negative for me (i think the d610 body is great), and I can assign af-on so no biggy there. 6.5fps is plenty but Buffer size is the only achilles heal for me - the d4 has me spoilt.

Im finally satisfied that the d700 has a successor.

I think this is a going to be really good camera. The main stumbling block is the buffer size. All though the D810 is marginally slower in FF mode for continuous shooting it had a faster a larger buffer. All thinks considered it's going to make a great second body and I will probably be an early adopter. If it doesn't work out for me I'll sell it.

Stupid how a small issue can swing my opinion on a camera.
Yes,, the 1/4000s top shutter speed is an issue, and the lack of 8fps. But how often do I need them?

The killer issue for me is really minor, but I'd use it every time I used the camera, and for me it indicates how Nikon, or where Nikon see this camera.

It's the eyepiece. It's not round. I love Nikon's round eyepiece and all the accessories that you can bolt to it such as a DK-19 and the 17M. And yes there may be converters that allow these to be adapted to a rectangle eyepiece.
But for me, Nikon see this as a D620, rather than a genuine D7X0 camera.

Just means saving a bit longer for a D810. But at least I can use my D700 until that time.

Last edited:
That comment reminds me of Sky, all those bloody channels but never anything I really want to watch :LOL:
Or -- you don't know what to watch because there are so many choices you may pick the wrong one!

In the USSR in the 80's it was a lot easier. If you wanted a car it was a lada or a lada.Easy choice.I think that might say something about the present situation when it comes to choosing a camera.:banghead:

Hmmm... pot to kettle. It seems you first derailed this at post #436

And you bringing this up now, 3 pages later when the thread finally is back on track is probably going to do so again, so why bother?

I have just downloaded the free Nikon Wireless App from ITunes which now supports the Nikon D750 in its latest update !

I currently use two d700 bodies which starting to feel a little worn.....but waiting and waiting for nikon to bring out a worthy upgrade. Was hoping the d750 was it. It isn't......looks like the d750 was my final hope of a true d700 replacement. So disappointed with this offering. Finally decided that maybe it's time to bury the dream and buy a couple of d810 bodies....not really what I want but what other option is there. $€#% nikon I hate you at the moment.

The D810 is a better camera than the D700 you won't be disappointed.

Anyway, that discussion is for another thread.

Last edited:
Back