Nikon D750 & D780

Something I was talking about earlier was DR of the new nikons, and I'm back in the office now so can elaborate with an example.

Creative underexposure isn't for everyone I know, but the new nikons are so damned good at helping you achieve this. To me, this is the reason I could never go back to a D700 or D3s and a great motivation to some that are considering an upgrade.

Here's a SOOC shot from the D610.

View attachment 21652

I deliberately underexposed it in order to retain the sky. Through previous trial and error I know the thresholds that I can work within.

Here's the edited version:

View attachment 21653

Granted this won't be to everyone's taste but it's our own editing style. The D750 should be at least able to match this with it's 'modified D610 sensor', and the D800 and D810 surpass it.

View attachment 21654

100% crop shows that with very little noise reduction (sometimes I use none), you're left with a highly usable image that prints beautifully.

The whole 'just expose it properly' argument ignores the more creative aspects of underexposing. As I said before, the HDR-lite style won't be to everyone's taste but the edited image is closer to the scene that I remember experiencing, and that's how I personally like to edit.

Echoes what I do - good example there. The DR of these newer bodies is insane. The AWB is way more accurate on the new bodies as well.

Echoes what I do - good example there. The DR of these newer bodies is insane. The AWB is way more accurate on the new bodies as well.

Absolutely. The WB is so good that I take it for granted now as I have to tinker with it less and less in post. The D750, for me, represents nikon finally putting the sensor I was after into a really usable form.

The D610 is also not to be sniffed at either. It may not be defined as a 'pro' camera but that doesn't mean pros can't use it - it smashes the D700 for image quality.

The whole 'just expose it properly' argument ignores the more creative aspects of underexposing. As I said before, the HDR-lite style won't be to everyone's taste but the edited image is closer to the scene that I remember experiencing, and that's how I personally like to edit.
I like it... looks like ~3stops.
I liked Ross's review... my only "concern" is that he chose to use 12bit compressed which is a bit of a compromise and would hinder the ability to recover extremes. I would assume he chose that for the buffer/file size... I can't say it affected any of the images he showed.

I have a little "concern" over SD cards... just that I would have to be more careful with handling/placement with them than I am w/ CF/XQD's. I can definitely see "misplacing" or bending one in a pocket.

The D750 has to be the best camera in Nikon's lineup right now when you balance price and capabilities... maybe even if you ignore price. I'm just waiting to hear the "first fielding complaints"... things like sensor dust at f/36...

I won't be buying one, but I certainly would.

Last edited:
Absolutely. The WB is so good that I take it for granted now as I have to tinker with it less and less in post. The D750, for me, represents nikon finally putting the sensor I was after into a really usable form.

The D610 is also not to be sniffed at either. It may not be defined as a 'pro' camera but that doesn't mean pros can't use it - it smashes the D700 for image quality.

The whole pro camera thing is absolute horses*** anyway. It's what you do with it that counts.

Ive never actually shot in 12bit on my d4 or d610. I tried it on the d700 and d3s out of curiosity and you do notice a loss of dr. Might give it a go to see how it affects things - at times i don't need as much dr.

Ive no concern over sd cards personally as i shoot everything on one card so they only leave the camera for transfers. They don't instil the same confidence in me as cf or xqd, so I can see how some might have a problem. They are very cheap nowadays compared to cf cards though.

The whole pro camera thing is absolute horses*** anyway. It's what you do with it that counts.
Try telling that to Nikon service when you want a repair during busy times but i do fully agree with the sentiment, ive seen guys shoot some excellent rugby images with a D200 and some guys shoot utter crap with D3S's

Looks like an incredible camera. Extremely tempered to grab one and use my Canon 5D Mark II as back up. Canon people cannot deny the results Nikon are producing now. Yes it's only a tool and comes secondary to imagination BUT it's a bloody good tool and beats anything Canon Is doing lately (DR and ISO wise). I love Canon but am getting a little bored of seeing the same inferior technology released by them. DXO is dominated by Nikon at the moment.

This isn't meant as a Canon VS Nikon post, it's more of an appreciation of the work Nikon are doing from the perspective of a Canon person.

Looks like an incredible camera. Extremely tempered to grab one and use my Canon 5D Mark II as back up. Canon people cannot deny the results Nikon are producing now. Yes it's only a tool and comes secondary to imagination BUT it's a bloody good tool and beats anything Canon Is doing lately (DR and ISO wise). I love Canon but am getting a little bored of seeing the same inferior technology released by them. DXO is dominated by Nikon at the moment.

This isn't meant as a Canon VS Nikon post, it's more of an appreciation of the work Nikon are doing from the perspective of a Canon person.

I love the 5Diii. They designed an amazing swiss army camera with the 5D and until the D750 I've been totally envious of it - I considered changing a few times. I think Nikon image quality is a shade better though.

I was going to get the D750, but then I looked at all the gear I'd have to sell and apathy set in!

You shoot Canon? There's no way the D750 would convince me to change if I shot Canon. The 5Diii is more than capable, and at any rate a mkiV is probably not too far away.

You shoot Canon? There's no way the D750 would convince me to change if I shot Canon. The 5Diii is more than capable, and at any rate a mkiV is probably not too far away.

If I had a 5D3 I probably wouldn't want to change tbh, but I'm still shooting a 1Ds2 and 7D combo (as well as a Fuji setup). The D750 is pretty much all I want, apart from fps/buffer. They key word there though is "want" rather than "need" :D

The 'buffer issue' isn't really an issue in my option.

Whilst In Continuous High mode (6.5fps) the buffer will hold 100 exposures. Small bursts of 4-5 seconds, pause, repeat are perfectly adequate for me and most people I would suggest ?

Perhaps the only feature I would have liked is an eyepiece shutter for long exposures. However, you do get a little plastic cover within the box that's slides on to the eyepiece. You have to slide the eyepiece rubber eye shield off first which is a bit of a faff. That said, that's my only gripe with it at this stage, but I did know that before I purchased it. In balance it is a great camera. They are flying off the shelves by all accounts.

The 'buffer issue' isn't really an issue in my option.

Whilst In Continuous High mode (6.5fps) the buffer will hold 100 exposures.
Everything I'm seeing says ~15 images for 14bit lossless compressed, or ~2.25sec @ CH. (Although I don't think I've ever held the shutter down for that long. Even at 10fps I'm usually only grabbing 2-3 frames)

See what you're saying about the noise handling, but did the CA look that horrendous before processing?

Horrendous? Really? Each to their own. I actually like the chroma so left it in. Its easily removed if i ever think it looks bad.

Having read that Ross Harvey review....he makes an amazing case for the d750. The only thing that bothers me a little is the lack of the dedicated back button focus button. Does look like a great little camera and a massive leap in performance to the d700's I currently use. May have to buy one to try out.

They do look a little overlooked.

Incan assure you it wasn't overlooked. My 35mm produces a bit of chroma when used wide open and i often like it - in this case it adds a kind of ethereal halo, especially around his jaw, that i liked. A matter of taste i guess.

By comparison, our nikon 85 rarely gives us CA but when it does it generally looks horrible and i remove it. Same for the sigma 50.

Either way, its not really relevant to the discussion... We were discussing sensors and shadow recovery.

Last edited:
The D750 has thrown me a curve ball. I'm about to sell my D3 as I don't really need the FPS and I've found myself going for the D700 more as it's lighter. So I was all up for replacing the D3 with a D810, but now there's the D750. I use the back focus button though full time, just wondering how comfortable it is to reach the butting on the D750 as it seems to be so far across? Using the back focus button for a full wedding might make it impractical if it's too much of a stretch. I don't really need 36Mp so the D750 looks to fit better in many ways.

The D750 has thrown me a curve ball. I'm about to sell my D3 as I don't really need the FPS and I've found myself going for the D700 more as it's lighter. So I was all up for replacing the D3 with a D810, but now there's the D750. I use the back focus button though full time, just wondering how comfortable it is to reach the butting on the D750 as it seems to be so far across? Using the back focus button for a full wedding might make it impractical if it's too much of a stretch. I don't really need 36Mp so the D750 looks to fit better in many ways.

The D750 AF is lightning sharp, I'm using Group Focus and the lock-on which virtually instantaneous even in low light.

Although I get the concept of back-button focus I have never found a good reason to use it. Probably a throw-back to my film days when they didn't exist.

Is there any reason why I should be using it ?

To answer your question above its easily reached. The D750 with Grip is almost identical in size and weight to D7000 with Grip. The only advantage to a grip on the D750 is to increase handling and extend battery life. It doesn't increase the exposure rate (FPS)

Although I get the concept of back-button focus I have never found a good reason to use it. Probably a throw-back to my film days when they didn't exist.

Is there any reason why I should be using it ?
Not particularly... IMO the best thing it does is allow "one button switching" between AF-c, AF-s, and MF "behaviours." But the same thing can be done using the AF/MF switch on the lens/body. The other time it's useful is for fast action and multiple bursts.

I've used the back button to focus for years, when shooting anything when panning I used to pre-focus to speed up the lock time, I also do a reasonable amount of focus and recompose shots which isn't practical using the switch on the lens. I'm not saying anyone else should use it, but I do and so it's important to me that I can keep shooting this way. I need to go and handle a D750 I guess, it seems near perfect for my use apart from the button position possibly.

I've used the back button to focus for years, when shooting anything when panning I used to pre-focus to speed up the lock time, I also do a reasonable amount of focus and recompose shots which isn't practical using the switch on the lens. I'm not saying anyone else should use it, but I do and so it's important to me that I can keep shooting this way. I need to go and handle a D750 I guess, it seems near perfect for my use apart from the button position possibly.
As I've noted elsewhere, all of the new Nikon's I've seen (I haven't seen the D750) allow AF to be assigned to other buttons besides the AE/AF-L (i.e. Fn/Pre buttons). It would require a little "muscle memory" retraining, but I think it would work just as well.

Just been into see my authorised Nikon dealer who are running a promotion this week.

Buy the Nikon D750 (for £1700) and get 50% off ANY lens purchased at the same time.

D750 and 24-70 2.8 come in at £2260.

Just been into see my authorised Nikon dealer who are running a promotion this week.

Buy the Nikon D750 (for £1700) and get 50% off ANY lens purchased at the same time.

Wow, good deal

Wow, good deal

Tell me about it. Now I'm just completely lost as to which lens I should get. The 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8. Obviously the 70-200 is going to set me back more but the saving will be greater.

I hate making decisions between gear :eek:

Especially if it really is 'any' lens... I wouldn't be bothering with a 24-70 in that case! Get a big tele, few £k off and sell on :)

The 70-200 2.8 is the other choice.

EDIT: Actually if people are in the market for a pro lens they should make a weekend of it in Dubai:D

Last edited:
Getting mine on Wednesday. First time I've been excited about a camera body arriving since I bought a D700. Thursday morning will see me having to work hard to offload our D800 and D610.

Getting mine on Wednesday. First time I've been excited about a camera body arriving since I bought a D700. Thursday morning will see me having to work hard to offload our D800 and D610.

Congrats on the new camera. Looking around D800s prices are dropping fast, becoming a real bargain camera.

A work collegue has done just that and picked up a brand 400mm f/2.8 which has already been sold on

This time of year is insane in the UAE. They have the GITEX show and all of the big electronic dealers slash prices like I've never seen before.

This time of year is insane in the UAE. They have the GITEX show and all of the big electronic dealers slash prices like I've never seen before.
One of our reps goes over regularly and buys all sorts of electrical/photo gear on a company account, ive had several nice items off him at cost, usually at least 50% cheaper than UK high street prices and all lenses have come with a 5 year worldwide warranty.

One of our reps goes over regularly and buys all sorts of electrical/photo gear on a company account, ive had several nice items off him at cost, usually at least 50% cheaper than UK high street prices and all lenses have come with a 5 year worldwide warranty.

I used to shoot Canon because the second hand market was so strong. People would buy expensive gear and sell it on at a knock down price. I love a bargain!

Now I'm investing a little more and looking to make a business out of it I've switched to Nikon because the deals at the local AD are so good.

Congrats on the new camera. Looking around D800s prices are dropping fast, becoming a real bargain camera.

Yeah, if it drops further I'll just keep the D800. It's still a great camera and useful to have in our 'arsenal.' The D610 will have to go though. Great wee camera for the price but was always a stopgap until something like the D750 came along.

That is an exceptionally good deal.

Back