Nikon D750 & D780

Looks to me like the D750 is just filtering the chroma noise in the raw file for you... it appears there's quite a bit of "smearing" going on (it would have been better if the D610 images were in focus).

You'll find yourself thinking that a lot while using the D610 in low light;)

When is it safe to buy one (ie how soon after launch were the d600 and 800 faults discovered)

I'm far from an expert in the dark arts of noise reduction in LR but this is a quick snap I just took at 25600 ISO in a deceptively dark and gloomy pub.

Full image with no post:

p563344659-4.jpg

Full image with a bit of sharpening and noise reduction slider tinkering:

p1055842633-4.jpg

100% crop with no post:

p914003656-4.jpg

100% crop with a bit of sharpening and noise reduction slider tinkering:

p818690271-4.jpg

That's great for 26000. Maybe you wouldn't want to blow it up for a wall but I bet it would look fine on reasonably sized prints.

When my D750 arrived I'll see if I can do some comparisons with my D7100.

Further down are better examples I think. The first few were raw but I think the posters software added some processing.
That's more like it... a very minor "improvement" if any (I don't see it).
Not a big deal, the 610 was fine already. But these kinds of tests don't typically show you what the noise would be if you increased the ISO because the light got worse. I would be surprised if 12800 looks that good at a wide aperture and longish SS.

That's more like it... a very minor "improvement" if any (I don't see it).
Not a big deal, the 610 was fine already. But these kinds of tests don't typically show you what the noise would be if you increased the ISO because the light got worse. I would be surprised if 12800 looks that good at a wide aperture and longish SS.

I think 12000 on the 750 looked about the same as 6400 on the 610.

The most important thing is though, when the lighting demands ISO in excess of 6400, you can pretty much guarantee that the d610 will struggle to focus which makes any low light ability moot, just as it does in the DF. The D750 will still focus well in lighting conditions that demand ISO6400+

The most important thing is though, when the lighting demands ISO in excess of 6400, you can pretty much guarantee that the d610 will struggle to focus which makes any low light ability moot, just as it does in the DF. The D750 will still focus well in lighting conditions that demand ISO6400+
That would certainly be a major factor.
But I'm not using either of them...

I'm thinking this may well be my next upgrade but my concern is the ribbon cable that feeds the screen - seems a bit flimsy in the pics I've seen. What's the general view of it from those that have a D750? Is it flimsy at all? It looks to be partially protected by running through the hinge assembly. I don't think I would use the articulated screen much anyway as my D7000 doesn't have it and I don't use it on my backup D5100.

There's nothing to suggest that the screen won't last for the duration of the camera's life unless you seriously abuse it. It's a well constructed camera. It's a great addition to the camera and I'm glad it's there.

Mine arrived on Friday.

Initial thoughts are that using it with the back button for focus isn't as comfortable as with the D3/D700 but it's not bad at all. Build wise it feels nice and nothing on it feels flimsy.
My Tamron 17-35 ( a nice lens on the D700/D3 ) needed some adjustment to focus accurately, and I'm not sure it holds up with 24mp although need to do more testing.
Focusing with the 105Vr was nothing short of amazing. I tried getting some shots of the fish in my Marine tank, something that is tough on the AF due to the effects of the glass, and it was spot on. It's fast to lock on too.
ISO is very very good coming from the D3/D700. I got a shot of my Daughter in her Halloween outfit for my sons school disco and at ISO 9000 it looked amazing. On the D3/D700 I'd stay below 6400 always, this one I'll go a lot higher.
It's not as slow as the numbers suggest either. I have mine currently doing Raw+fine JPG until I can process the RAW files properly and doing backups to a second card and with some testing hit the buffer limit, but I don't think I'll need more.

Overall I'm quite happy with it, I still wish it was in a D700 body, but I'll live with that.

Mine arrived this morning, had a very small play on my lunch break but the iso performance is still something utterly bewildering to me currently. I am stepping up from a d90 where anything over 1000 started getting a little funky so getting solid results from 6400/12000 just seems crazy to me

Send them an email and see what happens. I'm happy with my result.

I emailed them on Saturday and got a reply this morning. They'd sent me the wrong tracking number!

I missed the fun of watching the progress of the delivery, but the silver lining of that particular cloud is that the package is sitting on my desk in front of me!

Edit - it came with the decent quality copied manual and a UK plug for the charger.

Last edited:
I'm thinking this may well be my next upgrade but my concern is the ribbon cable that feeds the screen - seems a bit flimsy in the pics I've seen. What's the general view of it from those that have a D750? Is it flimsy at all? It looks to be partially protected by running through the hinge assembly.

I would think that Nikon tested many iterations of the screen/hinge/cable design to destruction before finalising the spec. The shutter assembly is the only one I know of that has a published 'life expectancy', but I'm sure that all the other moving parts in an SLR (or any camera) have them as well.

I'm thinking this may well be my next upgrade but my concern is the ribbon cable that feeds the screen - seems a bit flimsy in the pics I've seen. What's the general view of it from those that have a D750? Is it flimsy at all? It looks to be partially protected by running through the hinge assembly. I don't think I would use the articulated screen much anyway as my D7000 doesn't have it and I don't use it on my backup D5100.

I commented on the quality and flexibility of the LCD screen about a month ago on here. First of all let me allay any concerns you have. The screen is acutely quite robust, it's dampened and quite firm to open and close. It's well engineered. I had the same concerns as you but was pleasantly surprised at the quality. That said, I wouldn't be picking it by the open screen or pop up flash but that's common sense.

I might start holding mine by the flash so it breaks off... never use it and would save some weight;)

And the other half including me purchased one before his review ! It is very good though and he keeps adding to it it !

I'm a sucker for good marketing though.

I read the review and something in the back of my head said "buy a d750 and your images will be just like Ross Harveeeeeeeeys. Buy now. Buy" lol

I'm a sucker for good marketing though.

I read the review and something in the back of my head said "buy a d750 and your images will be just like Ross Harveeeeeeeeys. Buy now. Buy" lol

Hang on - you mean buying the latest camera doesn't automatically make you a better photographer!!? ;-)

Well it's finally arrived!

Initial impressions are great. The deeper grip over my D7100 is so comfortable, the camera is a small fraction wider, a little taller but only slightly heavier.

Not had a chance to look at any images yet but I've taken a few at high iso for comparisons.

Shutter has a much thicker clunk to it, the 6.5 fps felt nice and fast.

Looking forward to having a look at the images and getting out with it!

Well it's finally arrived!

Initial impressions are great. The deeper grip over my D7100 is so comfortable, the camera is a small fraction wider, a little taller but only slightly heavier.

Not had a chance to look at any images yet but I've taken a few at high iso for comparisons.

Shutter has a much thicker clunk to it, the 6.5 fps felt nice and fast.

Looking forward to having a look at the images and getting out with it!

As long as it sounds crunchy like the D4 and not loud and clunky like old D700 then I'm in;)

It sounds nothing like the D4, thank God. It's the most obtrusive shutter sound of any camera I've owned...

Also forgot to mention I got a UK plug and inch thick English manual in the box.

Other observations from this morning.

Dials are stiffer than the D7100, Wifi was off by default but unprotected when turned on (easy to change), it took 19 seconds to transfer 10 Raw files over Wifi to my phone. EDIT: I was wrong, it took the Raws and converted to JPG for the transfer.

Also when turned on in playback mode, the front dial jumps 10 or 50 images, rather than shuffling through shot info, like histogram, hotpots etc like it does on my D7100.

And once again, the grip is wonderful.

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention I got a UK plug and inch thick English manual in the box.

Must be completely random then, I got Japanese body set to Japanese with a UK adapter and photocopy manual. I wonder if you can request a UK camera as they must have them? Would be handy.

Must be completely random then, I got Japanese body set to Japanese with a UK adapter and photocopy manual. I wonder if you can request a UK camera as they must have them? Would be handy.
I contacted Tina and she said you need to specifically ask for a UK spec camera as they turn up from different suppliers, i got a refund to cover the cost instead.

Back