Nikon D750 & D780

I contacted Tina and she said you need to specifically ask for a UK spec camera as they turn up from different suppliers, i got a refund to cover the cost instead.

Noted. Thanks Gary.

Refund to cover what cost exactly?

Must be completely random then, I got Japanese body set to Japanese with a UK adapter and photocopy manual. I wonder if you can request a UK camera as they must have them? Would be handy.

This is what I got. The camera language and time zone were set to Japanese and the cable for the charger had a UK plug. No big deal - the camera is the same isn't it? Just regionally configured for different markets?

I'm thinking this may well be my next upgrade but my concern is the ribbon cable that feeds the screen - seems a bit flimsy in the pics I've seen. What's the general view of it from those that have a D750? Is it flimsy at all? It looks to be partially protected by running through the hinge assembly. I don't think I would use the articulated screen much anyway as my D7000 doesn't have it and I don't use it on my backup D5100.
i don't think its the cable will fail, but most likely weak point to be where the cable comes out of the body and the point it connects to the screen. no cable breaks in the middle unless someone is tugging at it. the break point is going to be the high fatigue points which is the connection point where the cable will likely to experience a lot of rotation and movements.

You thinking of getting one? I have an itch which may need scratching ;) Probably be better for me, for the longer zooms available over the XT1. I would only use around the house for the small birds in the garden, it would be to heavy for me to lug around, so may keep the XT for going out.

You thinking of getting one? I have an itch which may need scratching ;) Probably be better for me, for the longer zooms available over the XT1. I would only use around the house for the small birds in the garden, it would be to heavy for me to lug around, so may keep the XT for going out.

it's quite small simon, but obviously depends what you stick on the end of it!

Works great alongside my XT1 ;)

Used to have a D700 alongside my Fuji gear, does work well. Mines already ordered. I am a victim of GAS.

Used to have a D700 alongside my Fuji gear, does work well. Mines already ordered. I am a victim of GAS.
Nice, from Panamoz? I had a feeling with your above post for review and the sales section. I might wait until after Christmas, but it's itching like hell! :D

it's quite small simon, but obviously depends what you stick on the end of it!

Works great alongside my XT1 ;)

Never had FF before although I did borrow a mates D700 for a while a couple of years ago. I dont have any pics to look back on. What are they like for cropping compared to the XT??

Nice, from Panamoz? I had a feeling with your above post for review and the sales section. I might wait until after Christmas, but it's itching like hell! :D

Never had FF before although I did borrow a mates D700 for a while a couple of years ago. I dont have any pics to look back on. What are they like for cropping compared to the XT??

Most expensive has to go first, confident ill buy another in the near future though. It needs to look like im making an effort to cut down :rolleyes:

Ff is nice, x trans performance is very close though tbh.

Will you be okay with a heavier system?

Most expensive has to go first, confident ill buy another in the near future though. It needs to look like im making an effort to cut down :rolleyes:

Ff is nice, x trans performance is very close though tbh.

Will you be okay with a heavier system?

Same here. I have put my XT up for sale for top whack where it won't sell, mind games, buy the d750 and can't sell the XT, she will soon forget about it. I would only want it for the reach, with the available tele lenses over the XT and will use for the wildlife in garden, it will be too heavy for me to lug around, I would then keep the XT for going out. Well thats my plan. I have no interest in a D7100 or similar for reach, after using a D7000 then Fuji.

She may have put a spanner in the works for a pre Christmas purchase, as she mentioned last night buying a new TV for the dinning / lounge room. Watch this space.

Same here. I have put my XT up for sale for top whack where it won't sell, mind games, buy the d750 and can't sell the XT, she will soon forget about it. I would only want it for the reach, with the available tele lenses over the XT and will use for the wildlife in garden, it will be too heavy for me to lug around, I would then keep the XT for going out. Well thats my plan. I have no interest in a D7100 or similar for reach, after using a D7000 then Fuji.

She may have put a spanner in the works for a pre Christmas purchase, as she mentioned last night buying a new TV for the dinning / lounge room. Watch this space.

Lol, id pmsl if she was stood behind you and read that!

This is what I got. The camera language and time zone were set to Japanese and the cable for the charger had a UK plug. No big deal - the camera is the same isn't it? Just regionally configured for different markets?

Same for me - mine came from Panamoz with English manual and charger lead, but set to Japanese langauage. A couple of button clicks later to change the language (the word language being helpfully written in English as well as Japanese in the menus so it's easy to spot) and it's in English and working fine.

Lol, id pmsl if she was stood behind you and read that!

She's just gone to work, I may look it, but I'm not that dull:thinking: We have a largish living room so the PC is in there on an old yew desk. I can hear her footsteps as my hearing aids are tuned into her movements.:D

I think I need to go to Boots to get some Gaviscon to cure this GAS.:D

Last edited:
I spoke to Tina prior to purchase and asked her to supply one with an English plug and manual, also when the D810 first came out with the hot thermal issue I also asked her to also ensure that the latest model had the black dot and firmware upgrade. I have never been let down and she was as good as her word. The service from Panamoz has been first class and with the savings and 3 year UK warranty compared to UK deprecation values using them was a no-brainer for me.

With 24.3MP you've got plenty to work with in terms of cropping.

Obviously you lose a bit of length to what you're used to with the XT1/Crop bodies.

With 24.3MP you've got plenty to work with in terms of cropping.

Obviously you lose a bit of length to what you're used to with the XT1/Crop bodies.

Fuji have put back the tele lens until winter 2015/2016, otherwise I wouldn't be looking.;) I'm using manual lenses now for anything over 200mm and due to my disabilities I'm struggling with manual focus, I'm getting too many OOF pics of the smaller birds even with a tripod, maybe this is down to lens adapters, teleconverter etc........ as there is some play in them. I'm thinking with designated AF, TC's & VR lenses I'll be better off, even with the FF vs DX debate, I will be able to crop more with FF.

Last edited:
I know a lot of wedding photographers who shoot 5d3 bodies who are buying D750s and contemplating switching to Nikon. Quite surprising. I thought the 5D3 was a great camera, and I'm sure a mk4 isn't far away.

This camera seems to be a huge hit among wedding photographers. Gabe McClintock switching to Nikon is likely going to convince more to do it.

I thought canonites were getting miffed about the sensor tech being a but outdated? Not that I know anything about the current state of Canon sensors.

Quite a good article in this weeks Amateur Photographer magazine - needless to say it comes out very well 'technically'.

It's been established now for about a month. It's encouraging that there don't appear to be any quality control
Issues reported, unlike the Fuji X-T1 and D810 which were picked up within a couple of weeks of release.

I know a lot of wedding photographers who shoot 5d3 bodies who are buying D750s and contemplating switching to Nikon. Quite surprising. I thought the 5D3 was a great camera, and I'm sure a mk4 isn't far away.

Does seem an odd move that. The 5D3 is an excellent camera.

Did a lot of LV focusing/composing on a couple shoot yesterday and the camera never let me down, even at f1.4. Every time I take it out on a shoot I find myself remarking to my other half how incredible it is!

Gerrard_and_Paddy_Print_Ready_060.jpg

Did a lot of LV focusing/composing on a couple shoot yesterday and the camera never let me down, even at f1.4. Every time I take it out on a shoot I find myself remarking to my other half how incredible it is!

Gerrard_and_Paddy_Print_Ready_060.jpg

Does LV focusing work pretty quickly?

I took mine to my SILs graduation at the Royal Festival Hall the other day and only got a chance to look at the images last night. Very pleased with the ISO noise on the 12800 shots indoors, cleans right up with very small changes in lightroom (and about half the default 25 chroma setting).

Camera felt great in the hand and I've been using BBF for the first time ever and found that very intuitive so will be sticking with it. Though I did forget a few times and had to think about why my camera wouldn't focus at half press on the shutter!

Also shot some video at 1080p30 hand held with the 70-200 2.8 from about 125-200. It did very well and frankly with that lens at that length with the weight involved so did I!

I've also continued using Auto ISO as I did on my D7100 as I find it very useful in changing conditions to keep that ISO as low as possible. One thing I noticed on some of my shots was a slight blur that definitely wasn't a focus issue. It seems that at the default setting of matching the shutter speed to the focal length I'm a bit wobbly so I upped the setting a notch and it seems fine now. Need to take my time a bit more and reduce my camera shake to get that back down if possible.

Nope, you need to keep the SS up there whenever possible.

Yes I suppose, but being able to shoot more reliably at 1/50 at 50mm could be useful at some point if the light is truly awful and I have to hand hold. I'm not overly bothered about having to keep it up with the excellent ISO performance of the camera.

Received mine from HDEW - still playing but seems nice jump ahead from D600 . I really like the adjustable screen and the potentially more efficient 51 pt focus. First move I have allocated fn button to af-on and ae-l/af-l to exposure hold (makes sunsets easy - focus on desired object then hold exposure to the sunset then recompose to capture ). Also ordered a 58mm voigtlander manual lens !!!

Anyone know why when buying 'grey' the camera always has the language (be it jap/English) set when non grey you have to do it when first turned on ? makes you wonder whether these cameras are really 'new'.

Saw that. Have no NEED for one this minute, so if I could wait till after Xmas and Panamoz was under 1k that would be perfect.

I highly doubt it, its just been released and this cameras going to be very popular which means price will stay high. I don't see a drop coming for Xmas, especially not £250.

Last edited:
Getting dangerously close to the £1203 I paid form Panamoz in the end!

Gulp! Just did the transfer... the reviews have been very positive and can't wait to play...

Wonder if the wife will notice!

Back