Nikon D750 & D780

I took the expensive route and bought my D750 at UK retail price as soon as it hit the stores - Castle Cameras in my case as they are my local dealer and I had the opportunity of handling it before making a final decision.

Some while ago I bought a D800 also not long after they were release and suffered irritating focusing problem. It went back to Nikon three times before it was fixed (and actually put me off the D800 for good). This experience put me off buying from the likes of Panamoz, but as this thread developed, I've come to the conclusion that they would probably have simply exchanged it. However what price having the facility to handle the camera? Is it a bit immoral to use a dealer to examine it and then walk out and buy a grey import? A common dilemma nowadays?

I love the D750 btw - Even without an AF button!

Gulp! Just did the transfer... the reviews have been very positive and can't wait to play...

Wonder if the wife will notice!

Just tell her it's some old camera that you've had in the back of the wardrobe. One good thing about Nikon ( and Canon) DSLRs is that they all look the same at first glance
!

So DXO has rated iso the same as the d600?

Seems to be mixed feeling on NR regarding the results.

Mixed feeling where?

Anyone that owns one is very very pleased with the results. As Steven said, the D600/10 sensor wasn't the problem, just the rest of the body that went with it.

well here and there there are many saying that its far better in hi iso, but over there, there were quite a lot saying there is not much difference if any in iso. Its mainly the better AF and handling that separate them.

Just tell her it's some old camera that you've had in the back of the wardrobe. One good thing about Nikon ( and Canon) DSLRs is that they all look the same at first glance
!
!

I have an old Nikon F80 I bought a couple of years ago that I was accused of buying the other month, so it probably would work!

Dunno why people get so hung up on reviews and the dxo scores. There are cameras that will review better, and theres nikons that score higher on dxo, but none suit my needs like the d750. Ross harvey nailed it.

Great capture Amanda, I assume you are using a work machine which is why no RAW?

Lovely clean picture and great perspective.

Great capture Amanda, I assume you are using a work machine which is why no RAW?

Lovely clean picture and great perspective.
I only have Lightroom and that doesn't recognise D750 RAW.
Unfortunately, we're not allowed to add any software ourselves so I can't put the adobe converter on my machine without getting The Queen (or someone of that kind of level) to approve it.

I only have Lightroom and that doesn't recognise D750 RAW.
Unfortunately, we're not allowed to add any software ourselves so I can't put the adobe converter on my machine without getting The Queen (or someone of that kind of level) to approve it.
Ahh one of those type of places! Hopefully Adobe will update Lightroom before long.

Dunno why people get so hung up on reviews and the dxo scores. There are cameras that will review better, and theres nikons that score higher on dxo, but none suit my needs like the d750. Ross harvey nailed it.
I've got to agree... If you're not doing something stupid/creative (ISO 12,800, -4EV, etc) you can use pretty much anything. I know a guy who still uses an 8mp 1D to produce great quality professional work.

It's the "other things" that really matter more. The high ISO/DR are icing...

I've got to agree... If you're not doing something stupid/creative (ISO 12,800, -4EV, etc) you can use pretty much anything. I know a guy who still uses an 8mp 1D to produce great quality professional work.

It's the "other things" that really matter more. The high ISO/DR are icing...
Wasnt the 1d only 4mp

Yes, you can - Custom setting F4 "Assign AE-L/AF-L button". Setting that to "AF-On" does the trick. That setting also disables the shutter press AF activation - Unlike the Df which requires an additional "A4 - AF Activation" to be set to "AF-On only" (as distinct from the default "Shutter/AF-ON")

Last edited:
You can also set the Fn button or DoF Preview button to do the AF-ON if you particularly wanted.
Never used BBF before but I've enjoyed it so far on my D750.

Right lads, is this just *my* D750...?

When I change between M and U1 (for example), one of which is set up to write to both memory cards and one only to card one, the tiny arrow and '2' against the 'memory card indicators' doesn't seem to change straight away. Either I have to take a shot or turn the camera on and off for it to correctly show whether slot two is being used or not.
Is my camera not working properly, or is it my stupid brain that's doing something wrong?

Already less than £1250 if you by bacs from Panamoz

Have to say, that's a fantastic price from Panamoz. Had a wander around the camera shops in Mong Kok yesterday, and the best price I could get was £1160 - that's before paying the VAT when you get back, so the Panamoz price seems especially good by comparison.

Right lads, is this just *my* D750...?

When I change between M and U1 (for example), one of which is set up to write to both memory cards and one only to card one, the tiny arrow and '2' against the 'memory card indicators' doesn't seem to change straight away. Either I have to take a shot or turn the camera on and off for it to correctly show whether slot two is being used or not.
Is my camera not working properly, or is it my stupid brain that's doing something wrong?

I just tried to replicate your problem and mine does the same.

I have U1 set to Backup, and U2 set to Overflow. When I switch between them the top screen doesn't update at all. However, when I go to the menu system it does update. It seems the top screen will reflect whatever your non U1/U2 settings are set to use. I'm at work so can't confirm if the U1 IS actually backing up and the U2 IS actually only using the first slot though.

Have to say, that's a fantastic price from Panamoz. Had a wander around the camera shops in Mong Kok yesterday, and the best price I could get was £1160 - that's before paying the VAT when you get back, so the Panamoz price seems especially good by comparison.

I've wondered how long you have to be in a country before coming back to the UK where you are expected to pay VAT on anything you bring back. Not that most people declare it anyway. Maybe only if you were resident somewhere I suppose. But then people live in multiple homes. Bleh whatever, inconsequential really.

Last edited:
For static subjects its great! Much better than d610/df/d800. On par with a d4. Haven't nor don't really use lv for action.

Nor should you. Using LV auto focusing for action makes no sense, as it's using a much less sophisticated contrast detection system. You've paid for that nice 51-point Multi-CAM 3500FX II auto focus system... why would you want to switch it off and use the contrast detection system with live view for action?

I just tried to replicate your problem and mine does the same.

I have U1 set to Backup, and U2 set to Overflow. When I switch between them the top screen doesn't update at all. However, when I go to the menu system it does update. It seems the top screen will reflect whatever your non U1/U2 settings are set to use. I'm at work so can't confirm if the U1 IS actually backing up and the U2 IS actually only using the first slot though.
Mine appears to shoot as as it should do and save images correctly, but the top screen does not always reflect what's happening.

Nor should you. Using LV auto focusing for action makes no sense, as it's using a much less sophisticated contrast detection system. You've paid for that nice 51-point Multi-CAM 3500FX II auto focus system... why would you want to switch it off and use the contrast detection system with live view for action?

Yes I know, hence I said I don't use it for action. I just wanted to be specific on the usage of it as to not mislead.

I've wondered how long you have to be in a country before coming back to the UK where you are expected to pay VAT on anything you bring back. Not that most people declare it anyway. Maybe only if you were resident somewhere I suppose. But then people live in multiple homes. Bleh whatever, inconsequential really.

Not at all sure tbh - I do suspect you'd need to show residency. Latest on street price - £1105 lowest I saw today. Stanley St, Island side.

Not at all sure tbh - I do suspect you'd need to show residency. Latest on street price - £1105 lowest I saw today. Stanley St, Island side.
Thing is, unless you brought it back in the box they'd likely not even question it anyway. Think of all the millions that go away and come back with the same camera every year. The box folded up in your luggage would mean they'd have to suspect you enough to stop and search anyway.

Also there would be an additional 6.7% duty on any lenses. Cameras aren't subject to duty though.

Not that anyone should deny HMRC their dues, of course.

Thing is, unless you brought it back in the box they'd likely not even question it anyway. Think of all the millions that go away and come back with the same camera every year. The box folded up in your luggage would mean they'd have to suspect you enough to stop and search anyway.

Also there would be an additional 6.7% duty on any lenses. Cameras aren't subject to duty though.

Not that anyone should deny HMRC their dues, of course.

Fold any boxes up & post them home ;)

Back