Nikon D750 & D780

So I have my back button set up for AF as suggested by many. The back button on my grip is not working though...should it or does the setting not transfer to the grip?

Right lads, is this just *my* D750...?

When I change between M and U1 (for example), one of which is set up to write to both memory cards and one only to card one, the tiny arrow and '2' against the 'memory card indicators' doesn't seem to change straight away. Either I have to take a shot or turn the camera on and off for it to correctly show whether slot two is being used or not.
Is my camera not working properly, or is it my stupid brain that's doing something wrong?

Not had this issue but I don't use this function. I record RAW (NEF) to Slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2 which gives me the best of both worlds.

So I have my back button set up for AF as suggested by many. The back button on my grip is not working though...should it or does the setting not transfer to the grip?

There is a separate setting for the grip, just go down to the next page in the settings.

I just tried to replicate your problem and mine does the same.

I have U1 set to Backup, and U2 set to Overflow. When I switch between them the top screen doesn't update at all. However, when I go to the menu system it does update. It seems the top screen will reflect whatever your non U1/U2 settings are set to use. I'm at work so can't confirm if the U1 IS actually backing up and the U2 IS actually only using the first slot though.

Not had this issue but I don't use this function. I record RAW (NEF) to Slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2 which gives me the best of both worlds.

I wonder if it's widespread, but most people just wouldn't notice it if they don't tend to chance their image recording settings?
I've sent an email to Nikon - how likely is it that I'll get a useful reply?

Shooting RAW - what are folks doing prior to fav pp software able to view the files ? please detail your work flow on this - I use ACDsee pro 7 also have PS elements 11

Shooting RAW - what are folks doing prior to fav pp software able to view the files ? please detail your work flow on this - I use ACDsee pro 7 also have PS elements 11

I'm using PS CS6, RAW files are working fine with it. Difficult to discus work flow int detail on here but I just work my way through ACR, plenty of videos on You Tube. I've no knowledge on the other software you mention.

Well, very impressed - paid Panama on Thurs last week and arrived today. Waited in for UPS man and turned up mid afternoon (was paranoid he would arrive when I was in shower or the 3 mins to nip to shop). Service from Panamoz has been excellent. The camera... coming from a D300 & D700 its obviously not too different. A number of new functions and things to understand... takes a bit of getting used to the new layout (i.e. ISO button). Some observations:
  • Size is quite nice, was worried it would feel too small to the D700 but seems ok
  • Build is fine, the grip is deeper than D700 and really good
  • Viewfinder seems better on the D700
  • Lots of scenes etc... probably will never use
  • Quiet mode does not seem any different to normal
  • ISO performance seems excellent, took some test shots and JPG ooc look great - 12800 is the same or better than 1600 on the D300, 6400 very good.
Looking forward to shooting in anger. The other thread on here (D750 or D810) was making me think twice - do like the bigger body but no need for the extra MP, but this was £500 cheaper (thats the iPhone 6 paid for then!)

fl2.jpg

fl1.jpg

Just noticed a small oddity with the D750. I focused on an eye when playing around, yet on the preview the focus point seemed a bit higher - had 51 points and used one point which I selected. the eye was bang in the middle of the square with a little space around yet on review it appeared to be closer to eyebrow. If I shot with the top line of the box on the eye, the review would look bang on. Ideas?

Just noticed a small oddity with the D750. I focused on an eye when playing around, yet on the preview the focus point seemed a bit higher - had 51 points and used one point which I selected. the eye was bang in the middle of the square with a little space around yet on review it appeared to be closer to eyebrow. If I shot with the top line of the box on the eye, the review would look bang on. Ideas?
Once you focus (get focus lock) and then release -you only have to move the camera very slightly to (inadvertently) recompose. The focus red square in preview or in viewnx is not really where the camera actually focussed - its where the image was taken. To explain further focus on an object (get the lock by keeping the I/2 press) then move the composition to the right or left and release. You will see that the red square is not on the object you focussed on. if the original object is still in frame it should still be in focus. This is how you hold focus on an object and then recompose. The red square can be very misleading for folk that don't understand what its actually showing.

Right lads, is this just *my* D750...?

When I change between M and U1 (for example), one of which is set up to write to both memory cards and one only to card one, the tiny arrow and '2' against the 'memory card indicators' doesn't seem to change straight away. Either I have to take a shot or turn the camera on and off for it to correctly show whether slot two is being used or not.
Is my camera not working properly, or is it my stupid brain that's doing something wrong?

Hi all - this looks to be a problem with the D750. I've raised it with Nikon and this is their response:

'I have tested the D750 here in the office and can confirm that ours is functioning and displaying the same way as yours.
From further testing I can confirm that the camera is operating as you will have set it in the menu rather than what it displays on the top LCD.
I will escalate this case internally within Nikon and keep you informed if I receive any information regarding this functionality I will let you know.'

Do I win a prize?

All today were taken on a 24-70 or 70-200 2.8 Nikon. Of course, it's half term so the parks are packed with kids!

Nice video with some setup options that people might like

Last edited:
I have just received my camera from amazon and as usual the box had clearly been opened before. A quick question does the camera not come with a plastic hot shoe cover???

Neither did mine from Panamoz Chris.

No seals on Nikon boxes don't forget. Was the camera in it's little plastic bag?

I have just received my camera from amazon and as usual the box had clearly been opened before. A quick question does the camera not come with a plastic hot shoe cover???

Don't think mine did. AFAIK no.

yeah the camera looks grand just thought someone helped themselves to the wee cover its no big deal i have a few about the house.

thanks for the quick replays

Ahh, I'll have a look in my box then Simon. I saw a blanking cover but wasn't paying much attention. It was more "give me the battery let me play!"

I got the eyepiece cap, but no hot shoe cover. It's not mentioned in the 'package contents' bit of the manual, so I wasn't expecting one.

Just got one myself. I was going to go down the Digitalrev route at £1499 as Panamoz don't deliver to NI but for uk stock this is a cracking price.

Just got my second one from panamoz. If you have an address in the mainland that they can ship to they'll give you a discount towards forwarding it on to your ni address. I'm Belfast based but have a sister in London.

Just got my second one from panamoz. If you have an address in the mainland that they can ship to they'll give you a discount towards forwarding it on to your ni address. I'm Belfast based but have a sister in London.

When I emailed them they offered me a discount for the hassle of having to get it posted to the mainland but unfortunately I don't know anyone over there.

Received mine today from Panamoz, can't grumble, ordered Sunday. Feels small compared to my 5D and navigating around it is going to be quite different for a while. There's loads more customisable options compared to the Canon. Only have an 85 so far so bit limited with what I can do until the weekend but really looking forward to getting to know what it can do.

Nope, they don't seem to supply them as standard any more. Didn't get one with the D810 either !

Yes, in the same way that the other sockets and lens cap are used. Mind you I'm always loosing them. I normally buy 6/8 at a time on eBay for peanuts.
I sort of get it with the other sockets, but less so with the hot shoe. Maybe it's because I use a flash quite a lot. And most of the other rubber socket covers are fixed to the camera body.

Here's a question. I want to use auto ISO in aperture priority mode but want manual to be fully manual so that I can change ISO seperately, can this be done without assigning it to one of the user modes? It's early days for me it feels so wierd already and I think my one and only lens is front focussing so need to suss that out too.

You could either use the U1 & U2 mode, or holding the ISO button (or the record button if you've configured it to be ISO) scroll the front dial to turn Auto ISO off.

And/Or you could use Easy ISO so that when in aperture priority, the rear dial will do ISO, and when in shutter priority the front dial will do ISO.

Here's a question. I want to use auto ISO in aperture priority mode but want manual to be fully manual so that I can change ISO seperately, can this be done without assigning it to one of the user modes? It's early days for me it feels so wierd already and I think my one and only lens is front focussing so need to suss that out too.

That's doesn't make sense you can't be in Aperture Priority mode and Manual Mode as the same time. I'm
Not sure what you mean ?

You can be in Manual Mode and adjust both the aperture and shutter speed independently from each other whilst still using the Auto ISO setting,

Turn Auto ISO off in Manual and you can set all three independently - I think that's what you meant ?

Last edited:
Back