Nikon D750 & D780

Very interesting website story Will, and the photographs are enjoyable too.{followed your photo stream to Wayne and the story]

Last edited:
One concern prior to purchase of the D750 was the absence of a dedicated rear eyepiece shutter for long exposures, although you do get a little plastic slide on one which is a faff to use as you have to slide off the rubber eye piece. Anyway on this occasion I forgot it anyway.

I'm very impressed with the low light quality and noise control at low ISO.

My first negative about the camera... the viewfinder cover tends to come off a bit too easily when using the camera with a holdfast strap. Had a few 'moments' at recent weddings where I momentarily lost mine and had to go retracing my steps to find it. For some reason I didn't have this problem with the D610. I prefer the rubber circle on the D8** and other bodies - although, come to think of it, I did go through a few rubber viewfinder rings on my D3s and D700 bodies.

10269249_948092688552122_7094398559998892052_o.jpg

OK, so in Ross harvey's review it shows the buffer at 16 shots. Mine is reading as 15 at 12bit losssless compression and 11 at 14. Shooting only raw. Can anyone help me understand the difference?

Are you using the same memory card as Ross?

Are you using the same memory card as Ross?

No, but that wouldn;t impact the inital buffer size would it? Anyway, just reset all my settings and now it is showing 16 and 12 respectively. Not sure what I changed!!! For some reason having purchased grey for the first time Im paranoid the camera might have issues ,be a fake... Need to get over my mental issues :) Had it for almost a week now and still havnt had a chance to take it out of my office. Work sucks!

No, but that wouldn;t impact the inital buffer size would it? Anyway, just reset all my settings and now it is showing 16 and 12 respectively. Not sure what I changed!!! For some reason having purchased grey for the first time Im paranoid the camera might have issues ,be a fake... Need to get over my mental issues :) Had it for almost a week now and still havnt had a chance to take it out of my office. Work sucks!

Glad you got it sorted.

Who did you buy it from? All of the grey importers I've bought from have been first rate.

Most of them are so reliant on online sales that they're mindful of how easy negative reviews could ruin their business.

Glad you got it sorted.

Who did you buy it from? All of the grey importers I've bought from have been first rate.

Most of them are so reliant on online sales that they're mindful of how easy negative reviews could ruin their business.

Panamoz, and yes I agree. Serivce has been first class. I think its just a mental block, savings are so good, that its hard to get past the 'to good to be true mindset'.

Panamoz, and yes I agree. Serivce has been first class. I think its just a mental block, savings are so good, that its hard to get past the 'to good to be true mindset'.

Panamoz are great IMO.

I've just ordered an X100T from DigitalRev.

Looks good Deci, for me 3 & 6 like the natural shot of the bride, earlier in a post you mentioned the exposure to be very near, so are you tweaking for the White wedding dress by +1 stop etc

Generally the metering isn't easily confused by dresses or dark suits. If i'm ever using aperture mode I usually set to -.7 because I always err on the side of underexposure anyway. Shot 6 was deliberately underexposed so I could make the sun 'starry' looking. 3 is actually my favourite shot from entire the day.

Generally the metering isn't easily confused by dresses or dark suits. If i'm ever using aperture mode I usually set to -.7 because I always err on the side of underexposure anyway. Shot 6 was deliberately underexposed so I could make the sun 'starry' looking. 3 is actually my favourite shot from entire the day.

Interesting, I am so wanting one of these camera's :)
Just bought the mag mentioned to have a good read up

:plus1:

Further shooting this week and I'm really getting grips with the Nikon now. It really is the upgrade I was waiting for from the 5D2, the autofus is in a different league along with the extra processing power the dynamic range gives me it's awesome. At first I didn't like the smaller body in the hand but now it feels perfect. There's lots of extras too, far more configurable than the 5D2, and have been getting to grips with the flash system this week which is superior to Canon without a doubt. Very happy with it, seems the perfect wedding camera.

I had a D3s and then got a D4 which I thought was better than the D3s in practically every regard... recently just dropped my D4 for a D750...

I still think the D4 is better than the D750 in many regards but the D750 is much better than the D3s (unless you need the speed/buffer).

Mmm.. Was considering the the D610 up to the D750 coming out but now really want the D750, I use Photoshop CS6 and ACR but the lack of support for the D750 RAW files is putting me off.
Question is do I wait till there is support or bite the bullet and get the D610 now. Was also considering the D810 but I think 36mp files will be too large for my PC to cope and I can't afford the camera and a new PC too :eek:.

Last edited:
Mmm.. Was considering the the D610 up to the D750 coming out but now really want the D750, I use Photoshop CS6 and ACR but the lack of support for the D750 RAW files is putting me off.
Question is do I wait till there is support or bite the bullet and get the D610 now. Was also considering the D810 but I think 36mp files will be too large for my PC to cope and I can't afford the camera and a new PC too :eek:.
Why not convert the D750 NEF files to DNG first? That's what I'm doing and then importing into Lightroom as per usual.

Why not convert the D750 NEF files to DNG first? That's what I'm doing and then importing into Lightroom as per usual.

How is it that Lightroom will convert D750 RAW files to DNG but can't view the NEF files directly. Surely to do the DNG conversion LR must know how to deal with D750 files?

No, you use ACR and DNG converter 8.7 to do the conversion before you import the DNG into LR.

How is it that Lightroom will convert D750 RAW files to DNG but can't view the NEF files directly. Surely to do the DNG conversion LR must know how to deal with D750 files?
I'm using Adobe's DNG Converter to convert the D750 NEF files to DNG.

I'm having real trouble getting these bloody NEF files into Lightroom CC mind. What a clart on.

Anyone like to explain it in layman terms or provide a useful link? :shifty:

I'm having real trouble getting these bloody NEF files into Lightroom CC mind. What a clart on.

Anyone like to explain it in layman terms or provide a useful link? :shifty:

Follow this link and download the DNG converter...

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw8-7/

Copy your NEF files into an appropriate folder. Run the DNG converter, and point it at your NEF files, and then let it convert your files to DNG. I stored these in another folder.

Then open LR and import the DNG files.

or you can rename the file in the camera and lightroom will recognise it i beleive.

Wasn't this editing the exif data in the RAW file to convince LR it was from a D5300 or something? It was described in the Ross Harvey blog review.

I'm using the DNG converter until Adobe get their act together ;)

Back