Nikon D750 & D780

One concern prior to purchase of the D750 was the absence of a dedicated rear eyepiece shutter for long exposures, although you do get a little plastic slide on one which is a faff to use as you have to slide off the rubber eye piece. Anyway on this occasion I forgot it anyway.

I'm very impressed with the low light quality and noise control at low ISO.

You can eek out a lot more from that sensor/lens combination by shooting such a scene at f5.6 or f8 with that lens, especially at the short end. Why you shooting at f2.8 for a shot that requires a tripod?

You can eek out a lot more from that sensor/lens combination by shooting such a scene at f5.6 or f8 with that lens, especially at the short end. Why you shooting at f2.8 for a shot that requires a tripod?

I took a number of exposures at 100 ISO, f/16, f/8, f/5.6, f/4 and f/2.8 I've only had a quick look in ACR and haven't has the time to explore them yet, they all looked reasonable at a glance. It's on my list of things to do.

I know that lens well, and at the 24mm end, stopping down a bit makes a noticeable difference to sharpness.

I know that lens well, and at the 24mm end, stopping down a bit makes a noticeable difference to sharpness.

I dare say your right David, most landscapes / cityscapes benefit from somewhere in the region of f/8 or f/11 rather than a larger aperture. Hopefully I will have a bit of spare capacity to check the rest of the images out.

Had the camera for about a week now. Upgraded from the D7000. Just wow. Dynamic range is freakn awesome. Went for a shoot last night with a friend who has the D7000. Unbelievable how horrible that camera now feels in the hand having used the D750 for only week. The deep grip on the D750 is class. What else, um got the 24-120 f4 as it worked out at only £420 ish. The lens seems fairly sharp in the centre although the bokeh is a little blah. Seems very usable as a lens though., although I haven't decided whether I'll keep it or ship it on. Save for the ultra wide angles, I have developed a preference for primes – not really sure how that happened :)

Had the camera for about a week now. Upgraded from the D7000. Just wow. Dynamic range is freakn awesome. Went for a shoot last night with a friend who has the D7000. Unbelievable how horrible that camera now feels in the hand having used the D750 for only week. The deep grip on the D750 is class. What else, um got the 24-120 f4 as it worked out at only £420 ish. The lens seems fairly sharp in the centre although the bokeh is a little blah. Seems very usable as a lens though., although I haven't decided whether I'll keep it or ship it on. Save for the ultra wide angles, I have developed a preference for primes – not really sure how that happened :)
Mental note to oneself, DO NOT buy any used 24-120mm f/4 VR from Adam

Is there something up with my camera or am i doing something wrong??

I have made two really poor videos to show the problems im having. In the both videos I have a sigma lens on but its doing it with other lenses.

In this video you will see when I pop up the on camera flash after one shot the camera wont fire again even low it is still getting focus as you can tell from the beeps.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/90wBniXKWIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In this second video you can see that by pressing the pop up flash button the camera freezes up and will do nothing unless I turn it on and off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/odGqlgoxkVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Am I correct in that in the second video you pressed the pop-up button but the flash didn't pop up? I t doesn't look like the flash came up when it was supposed to and perhaps the system is awaiting the flash which is why it won't do anything until you turn off/on again. Looks like a fault but perhaps others have advice.

I have just returned mine after the second (sub) command dial failed to work properly.

Since I don't have my 750 anymore I can't say if it was made in China or Japan but I suspect China (perhaps Taiwan) but I'm wondering if contracting the manufacturing of Nikon equipment outside Japan is doing their quality control no favours. Perhaps it is just me but I feel that since Nikon largely stopped producing in it's own country things have maybe gone downhill, reliability-wise?

I have just returned mine after the second (sub) command dial failed to work properly.

Since I don't have my 750 anymore I can't say if it was made in China or Japan but I suspect China (perhaps Taiwan) but I'm wondering if contracting the manufacturing of Nikon equipment outside Japan is doing their quality control no favours. Perhaps it is just me but I feel that since Nikon largely stopped producing in it's own country things have maybe gone downhill, reliability-wise?

You get that from 1 failed camera, which was yours and you never bothered replacing it? Thats a pretty low stat.

Am I correct in that in the second video you pressed the pop-up button but the flash didn't pop up? I t doesn't look like the flash came up when it was supposed to and perhaps the system is awaiting the flash which is why it won't do anything until you turn off/on again. Looks like a fault but perhaps others have advice.

D750 is manufactured in Thailand. Same as the D810 and D610. I think only D4s and Df are made in Japan.

Perhaps it is just me but I feel that since Nikon largely stopped producing in it's own country things have maybe gone downhill, reliability-wise?

Personally, I have nothing positive to say about Nikon's manufacturing standards in Thailand. Don't get me wrong, they are great cameras, but I've spent more time sending cameras back for servicing than actually using them.

On a positive note, Nikon UK have finally sorted me out and my D750 is returning to me soon.

Was your D750 from Panamoz?

My d750s, like the D800 and D700 before them have the flash physically taped down. If there is a flash issue I'll never know about it:D

Hi all - this looks to be a problem with the D750. I've raised it with Nikon and this is their response:

'I have tested the D750 here in the office and can confirm that ours is functioning and displaying the same way as yours.
From further testing I can confirm that the camera is operating as you will have set it in the menu rather than what it displays on the top LCD.
I will escalate this case internally within Nikon and keep you informed if I receive any information regarding this functionality I will let you know.'
UPDATE:
'I would like to thank you for your patience while we are looking into the issue you reported with your D750.
The issue has been confirmed and is currently be researched by us, we do not have a timeframe for an update/fix as of yet.
For being so observant and for taking the time to time to report this issue to us I would like to send you a small goodwill gesture ( I am sorry this option wasn't available to me when I last e-mailed you)
I will organise for a small something to be sent to you, you should receive it within 10 working days.'

I won a prize!!!
:)

In the 2nd video the flash works as it should but only for one picture. when i hold the shutter button the whole way down it finds the focus but wont fire.

Last edited:
I haven't had a problem with any of our thai made cameras - D610, D750 bodies. Only our Japanese bodies have ever had a problem, and those problems have been issues with manufacture rather than design.

Most of the heavily publicised issues appear to be design flaws rather than manufacturing ones don't they?

You get that from 1 failed camera, which was yours and you never bothered replacing it? Thats a pretty low stat.

I haven't replaced it as yet as I've only just got my refund. Actually it is the third Nikon camera I have returned due to faults from new although the other two were Coolpix cameras. Also one lens had to go back because the focus ring was gritty when moved.

Was your D750 from Panamoz?

No, Amazon. Where incidentally, I have also bought two laptops over the years and they have both failed within the guarantee period, one within a week; perhaps I'm just unlucky.

Perhaps it is just me but I feel that since Nikon largely stopped producing in it's own country things have maybe gone downhill, reliability-wise?

My D70 and D200 were made in Thailand - I can't remember any systematic problems with those models? My D700 was made in Japan, but I've no concerns at all with my new D750. Lenses - the 18-70mm that came with the D70 was from Thailand and is rated pretty well. I've also got a cheapish 50mm F1.8 from China that's more than okay.

I've occasionally noticed a bias towards Japan manufactured Nikon gear on some fora with more US participation and, while I can't see a particular reason for it, it does seem a bit ironic.

Have come from the D7000 17-55 2.8 combo. Only managed to take a few shots in day light so far but so much fun and just love the results. It is a seriously accommodating camera. So much more room to move in low light and the focus is something special. Got the 24-120 f4 and despite my concerns its seems to be a very fine lens. Nice and sharp Thanks all for your advice.
View attachment 25502

So is the flash problem only when using the video?
I don't think there is that many faulty ones, especially when you consider how many are made.
Everything we buy has odd issues, from time to time.

But Nikon seem to have had more than most in recent years. And because those problems have been on some very expensive cameras, it has damaged Nikon's reputation for quality control imho.

I really don't think it's worse than any other company. The thing is that issues seem more widespread these days due to forums, blogs and social networking making the issue more or less viral. This is the way with other companies - you can set your watch by the inevitable 'design flaw' that is exposed a week after an iphone launch.

It makes one wonder how many more D750's have that problem with the flash.

My biggest problem is that it has one. But that was sorted with some gaffer tape.

Last edited:
Back