Nikon D750 & D780

Anthony - how long dya think you will wait ?

Just before my 2015 weddings kick off. Maybe end of Feb or so. Will see how other peoples servicing goes all being well no issues with the af as they remount the module etc

I have a couple of shoots start of feb, then weddings kicking off in April so going to wait until after the february shoots to get it sorted. Not noticed the issue at all, and I'd rather have the high iso performance with the risk of the flare issue happening for the shoots, than not.

I managed to get a D750 in my hands when I was handing my D800 into Calumet for a sensor clean, feels like a really nice bit of kit, sufficiently slimmer than the D800 to make it more "travelable" and the grip feels excellent with its deeper cut out, seriously tempted to chop in the D800 against a (hopefully non flaring!) D750

Just finished processing my first wedding of the year, the D750 did me proud. Considering we had about 2 hours of daylight I couldn't have asked for a better camera. Left it in Auto ISO with a minimum shutter speed of 1/200, Aperture Priority all the way, hit ISO 12,800 during the evening for the first dance but the files have cleaned up very nicely.

Only had one missed focus all day (user error, I guess!), everything else was tack-sharp. The Sigma 35mm 1.4 and Nikon 105mm f2 DC were my weapons of choice (and the Sony RX1 came out for the actual ceremony where no shutter noise was allowed), but still seriously considering heading back to the Zeiss 135mm 1.8 somehow as I miss that lens badly, I'm looking at a Sony a99 as a second body for the long stuff, unconventional but I'm comfortable using two systems.

I managed to get a D750 in my hands when I was handing my D800 into Calumet for a sensor clean, feels like a really nice bit of kit, sufficiently slimmer than the D800 to make it more "travelable" and the grip feels excellent with its deeper cut out, seriously tempted to chop in the D800 against a (hopefully non flaring!) D750

Are you looking to trade yours in? What sort of values are the D800s going for now? I am thinking about doing the same. I am wanting to get it from Panamoz so would need to sell on here, MPB Photographic or eBay.

@pmac @chrism_scotland thanks for your MBP quotes.

Panamoz have it listed for £1,159.00 via BACs so this trade up will cost around £179 to go from D800 > D750

There are some benefits to be had with the D750 namely the better auto focus, low light, smaller file sizes and tilt screen for video. I was hoping that Panamoz would get in their new batch before thinking about the trade as still need the D800 for a few projects.

@pmac @chrism_scotland thanks for your MBP quotes.

Panamoz have it listed for £1,159.00 via BACs so this trade up will cost around £179 to go from D800 > D750

There are some benefits to be had with the D750 namely the better auto focus, low light, smaller file sizes and tilt screen for video. I was hoping that Panamoz would get in their new batch before thinking about the trade as still need the D800 for a few projects.

I'd probably look to upgrade by selling and buying a grey import if I decide to, the better AF and tilt screen along with slightly smaller size body would be handy. Not too convinced that it would be much better at low light than the D800 I already have (if I downsize the D800 files to 24mp) online comparison would suggest theres not a huge amount in it.

I've got a trip to Prague in Feb so the D800 will make that trip with me and I'll review again for my big trip in the summer, with a few primes the D800 might be small enough!

I've had one of my D750's have an advisory service and two parts were replaced: Front body unit and grip unit. So, it seems it's more than just an adjustment.

:eek::eek:

So the only thing that remains original is the screen and cap, I bet all the Canon owners are round the pub having a right giggle :beer: Sorry i meant Wine Bar :)

:eek::eek:

So the only thing that remains original is the screen and cap, I bet all the Canon owners are round the pub having a right giggle :beer: Sorry i meant Whine Bar :)

FTFY! ;)

Camera is back! The parts changed were internal and might have been for another issue. One thing though - through the view-finder, the top of the test display is now cut off and, I can see something that isn't visible in the other body which I won't be sending back.

Edit - If I push my eye right into the view finder, the text is fully visible.

Last edited:
Camera is back! The parts changed were internal and might have been for another issue. One thing though - through the view-finder, the top of the test display is now cut off and, I can see something that isn't visible in the other body which I won't be sending back.
Could you post some photos to show what's changed? I can't quite picture what you've written.

Edit - If I push my eye right into the view finder, the text is fully visible.
What is "the Test display"?

No. Sorry, meant the text!

Ok, let's try again! when looking through the viewfinder, if my eye isn't pushed right up against the camera, I can see a reflection at the bottom - it's a reflection of what I see as the main image. In the main image, at the bottom - there is the usual display text (in red) such as the shutter speed etc etc. Again, if I move my eye very slightly back, away from the camera, the top of the text is cut off.

I never noticed this before so I think it's more pronounced once the advisory service is carried out. I can see it if I 'try' on the body that hasn't been serviced.

Hope that is a little clearer.

No. Sorry, meant the text!

Ok, let's try again! when looking through the viewfinder, if my eye isn't pushed right up against the camera, I can see a reflection at the bottom - it's a reflection of what I see as the main image. In the main image, at the bottom - there is the usual display text (in red) such as the shutter speed etc etc. Again, if I move my eye very slightly back, away from the camera, the top of the text is cut off.

I never noticed this before so I think it's more pronounced once the advisory service is carried out. I can see it if I 'try' on the body that hasn't been serviced.

Hope that is a little clearer.

See what you did............Every 750 owner including myself is peering through the view finder wondering what's occured with yours :runaway:

My D750 is on its way to Nikon now courtesy of ParcelForce Express 24 hour delivery. I will post progress .... My box had SG on it with serial no 850xxxx, I am guessing this might indicate Singapore? My invoice was from HDEW who are UK based.
Just checked the status of my D750 service advisory repair again, this morning it was awaiting repair, at lunchtime it was being repaired & 10 mins ago I had an email to say it is on its way back to me via DPD. That's a week since I mailed it off to Nikon.

Where are you seeing the status Brian?

Mine went back Tues.
When Nikon received the D750 from me they sent me an email confirming receipt of the camera body along with a link www.nikon.co.uk/trackrepair
In the email they provided a request id (repair number) & customer number to be used with the trackrepair link.

I have been checking this several times a day since I got the email :)

since my last post on the D750 thread I have received via email a 'no charge' repair invoice and a tracking link for my camera which is due for delivery tomorrow. The repair invoice will go with all the other paperwork as proof of repair should I ever decide to sell the camera.

Ah - I havent had that bit yet. Thank you.
Hopefully you should receive acknowledgement soon. I posted my camera from Tyneside via Royal Mail last Thursday morning & received the email from Nikon confirming their safe receipt lunchtime the next day.

Back