Nikon D800......

Is the 28-300mm A good lens to grab for a D800 body?

Nikon produced a kit with D800 + 28-300 so they obviously think it is a 'suitable' lens - as for its capabilities, opinions vary but most reviews I have seen seem to think its not bad for such a wide-range zoom. :)

Is the 28-300mm A good lens to grab for a D800 body?

As an "all rounder" it is a very capable performer. I got one when I had a D700 and never considered parting with it when I got my D800E. Very satisfied with it.

Out of Interest does anyone else think the EN-EL15 Battery's don't hold enough charge on them for the D800? I personally feel my battery's are depleting fairly fast, Maybe just because I do a fair few long exposures not sure, interesting to here what you think :)

Out of Interest does anyone else think the EN-EL15 Battery's don't hold enough charge on them for the D800? I personally feel my battery's are depleting fairly fast, Maybe just because I do a fair few long exposures not sure, interesting to here what you think :)

I have not had a battery go completely at the moment but yes you are correct they do deplete faster than so others. To combat this I always have the grip fitted so if on battery empties the other will take over. i also have at least one spare on top of that. I seem to remember something about new regulations regarding batteries and their capacity or size can't remember which, but no doubt someone can throw more light on it.

The Nikon D200 was also battery heavy which is why I then moved to the D300 (still got) and added the D800 to my camera equipment

Last edited:
I have not had a battery go completely at the moment but yes you are correct they do deplete faster than so others. To combat this I always have the grip fitted so if on battery empties the other will take over. i also have at least one spare on top of that. I seem to remember something about new regulations regarding batteries and their capacity or size can't remember which, but no doubt someone can throw more light on it.

The Nikon D200 was also battery heavy which is why I then moved to the D300 (still got) and added the D800 to my camera equipment

I did have also a Meike Battery grip for my D800 but since updating the last firmware the battery grip is no longer working at all with my D800, So I'am just living with it at the moment and carrying two spare battery's around with me, I still use the battery grip sometimes just to have on the back to balance the weight out more when using my 70-200mm

The Pixel Vertax grip was fine with the firmware update. A better product too. Just putting this here in case anyone is thinking of buying a 3rd party grip.

Is this the long awaited D800s that's been doing the rounds for some time. Hopefully it will sit somewhere between the D800 - D4s :)

I find the opposite, I only have 2 batteries for my D800, and found I only had to switch into the early hours of a recent wedding. I had been shooting since 9am. I'm amazed at how much life I get from them tbh, better than my old D90 was with batt's. I had 3 for that and would switch them around constantly during a long shoot.

Just to note: I had a pixel grip filled with fresh batteries on stand by too, but never used it.

Last edited:

I never have a particular problem. I get through a wedding on one battery. It lasts better then my d300 used to

Long exposures, (especially if noise reduction is on) video, 'chimping' and cold are the battery killers.

So long exposures in Winter, and checking the detail of every shot on the LCD will really run down the batteries. ;):LOL:

For most cameras there are cheap compatible batteries available for those who need them, (and want to use compatibles) but down want to pay through the nose for an original. I have three batteries for my D300S, but have never had to use more than two, even on those cold Winter nights.

When I use the grip it is mostly for sport and high fps, and so many frames, but I use the AA batteries in the grip to gain an extra frame per second. (on my camera) If you have a grip AA batteries are an option, and they get more powerful all the time.

According to DPReview
The D800 can also be powered by AA batteries, or by the EN-EL18 (supplied with the D4) via the optional MB-D12 battery grip. The D800 can capture around 900 images on a full charge, and around 60 minutes of live view/video operation.
The EN-EL18 has a huge capacity from what I have read. You do pay for it though. ;)

Anyone interested in the D810 that is apparently coming out on the 26th? ( According to Nikon Rumours )

http://nikonrumors.com/category/nikon-d810/

Well not long to wait, a week tomorrow - I take all these rumour sites with a pinch of salt so we shall have to wait and see !

The English is appalling; it must have got lost in translation, but if the ISO Thumbwheel on the top plate is to believed then thats a really useful feature. Hopefully, the autofocus will be a lot faster for sports and this will become a really useful addition to the pro line-up which has sadly been lacking. I just hope the shutter has improved on this model that doesn't eject oil over the sensor in some instances.

Well not long to wait, a week tomorrow - I take all these rumour sites with a pinch of salt so we shall have to wait and see !

The English is appalling; it must have got lost in translation, but if the ISO Thumbwheel on the top plate is to believed then thats a really useful feature. Hopefully, the autofocus will be a lot faster for sports and this will become a really useful addition to the pro line-up which has sadly been lacking. I just hope the shutter has improved on this model that doesn't eject oil over the sensor in some instances.

I agree with you there, the AF Performance on the D800 is slower than the previous D700 I had IMHO and my D3 is far faster, I don't think are be looking to upgrade as it seems only minor improvements being released and still won't be any good for most sports if they keep the same 4fps burst rate or there about, I mainly use my D800 for Landscapes so the improvement in ISO thumbwheel and AF speed is not needed to me :)

Anyone interested in the D810 that is apparently coming out on the 26th? ( According to Nikon Rumours )

http://nikonrumors.com/category/nikon-d810/

If the spec sheet I've seen is anything to go by, the only thing interesting on the D810 is the extra stop of low light performance. If that turns out to be true I may upgrade.. otherwise, no. An extra 1fps and a bigger LCD and GPS are simply not worth upgrading for, and so far as I can see (again assuming the leaked specs are right) there's no other difference. It's meant to be lighter, and that actually worries me. What have they done to make it lighter?

We'll find out on the 26th I suppose.

Last edited:
I think you missed what to many could be the biggest upgrade the AF. Ive never had the same confidence I had with my d700 in AF terms on either of the d800's ive owned. When it nails it its great but theres defiantly something a miss with the AF. Looking at the d4s threads else where everyone has commented how thr AF is improved over the d3s/d4. If this turns out to be the same that woukd make this a great camera. Dout I will uograde though. The d800 has been a money looser. Never have I had a camera loose value so quickly and the last rumours that its going to be d800e price or higher is more off putting.

It's a 'more money than sense' thing, most of these "upgrades" - I don't see a realistic need to replace a pretty new model camera with anything slightly better unless you really need a back up body and there's a significant stand out improvement that you 'need'. Don't we always say that the glass > the body?

Nikon must really love the early adapter program.

Last edited:
I'm looking at buying a D800 so will wait for the announcement and see although wouldn't want it much higher priced!

I'm looking at buying a D800 so will wait for the announcement and see although wouldn't want it much higher priced!

I would wait for the announcement and then some. The D800/E was launched with focussing issues and the D600 with sensor contamination problems. Who knows what may blight Nikon's next release.

I would wait for the announcement and then some. The D800/E was launched with focussing issues and the D600 with sensor contamination problems. Who knows what may blight Nikon's next release.

And not to mention the shutter mechanism that deposits oil over the sensor !

Hopefully the price won't be that much above the 800E but I think initial issues are a concern and a lot of people will hold off buying one until we no.

And not to mention the shutter mechanism that deposits oil over the sensor !
My D610 does this. I just clean it. Annoying when you go on holiday and you didn't take sensor cleaning gear so you have to compose around that spot.

I doubt the D810 will do this. My D800 doesn't and it looks a minor upgrade. I'd wait to D900 with an all new sensor came out in a new body.

For D700 owners looking to upgrade this might be just the thing

I was recently looking at getting a d800 but things went against me. An updated model with an ISO scroll wheel could be interesting although it probably not true.surely a scroll wheel facing downwards would take up a lot of room in what must be a pretty full area of the body. Im currently thinking of looking at the older d700 as it's cheaper and probably a better fit for me.

I found that cleaning mine resolved that nicely.

I'll clean the sensor on my terms when it needs is, but when it dictates that you have to clean it because of a poor design, quality control or some other oily shutter issue then its a bit of libertey !
Hopefully, they have learned from this for future models.

I'll clean the sensor on my terms when it needs is, but when it dictates that you have to clean it because of a poor design, quality control or some other oily shutter issue then its a bit of libertey !
Hopefully, they have learned from this for future models.

It stops after around 3k exposures. Just use the damned thing more :)

Chris, loads of us use third party grips, most reccomend the Meike brand but there are some who are reporting problems since the recent D800 firmware update, others say Vertax Pixel grips are better, some suggest Polaroid, and some say any cheap old thing will do, whatever your choice theyre far far better value that the OEM grip and do exactly the same job, some do a better job with added functionality like an LCD panel, if you choose the Meike ask the Vendor if its been tested on an updated firmware D800, google suggests Meike have already fixed the problem but there will be loads of older stock out there, my Meike is absolutly fine though and my D800 was running the latest firmware, also picked up a used Pixel one on the cheap and that occasionally "freezes" and needs unscrewing and re seating.

Hi Gary, If it's of any help to you I use a "Vertax" third party grip with my D800 and all is working just fine.

Nikon produced a kit with D800 + 28-300 so they obviously think it is a 'suitable' lens - as for its capabilities, opinions vary but most reviews I have seen seem to think its not bad for such a wide-range zoom. :)

Roger this is the same lens you suggested on a query I had on another forum. I was considering this lens but DxOMark only give it 17, although not really clear what this means my 24-70 is 31 on DxOMark so still thinking about it.

An interesting read, this sounds good on first impressions. Official launch tomorrow....maybe ? Better AF, faster shooting, enhanced low light capabilities, ticks a few boxes for me.

Does anyone think there will be a price drop on the 800/e? Currently waiting to pull the trigger on an 800 or 610 and a potential price drop might help me make up my mind!

There will be a price drop for sure when a new model is released. £2700 rumoured for D810 is quite a bit but I think I will order one as don't want to buy the older model and hopefully the price will stay a bit higher when I come to sell on.

Does anyone think there will be a price drop on the 800/e?

Probably... and I'd snap one up, as this doesn't seem to bring anything that interesting to the table. I was hoping for 4K video, but no such luck. Mentions 50/60fps... and I'm assuming that's in 1080P. That has uses, but really... If I want to shoot video I'll borrow a 5D MkIII from work.

There will be a price drop for sure when a new model is released. £2700 rumoured for D810 is quite a bit but I think I will order one as don't want to buy the older model and hopefully the price will stay a bit higher when I come to sell on.

I'd wait and see how much better the noise is. The article claims an extra stop of low light performance, but does that mean it's one stop better in terms of quality, or just that the non-extended range is expanded by one stop? If the latter, then this camera offers practically nothing over the current model. If the former, It;'s still not worth the price hike. Wait a while, and you'll be able to get one for FAR less than £2700. Jumping on a brand new camera is always a bit silly.

Personally I'd get a D800E when the price drops a bit more. Who cares about resale value? It's a digital camera... they're never going to hold value once new models come out.

Last edited:
Fair point. I will see what happens, I will be keeping it for at least 3 years anyway and there will be something else out by then I'm sure!

Last edited:
Back