Nikon D800......

If they have sorted out the AF on the D810 then I'm up for this.

Glad to see others agree with me on the D800.

If I can get D300/D700 AF speed/accuracy with D800 image quality and 36mp, this is a winner for me because the D800's colours and shadow detail is superb, but for sport AF is king.

Quite a few video reviews now appearing on You Tube: may as well start with the Nikon Official one:

After watching a few reviews I'm convinced that this could be the one - group area AF as in the D4S, front end shutter mechanism to reduce vibration, 5fps no OLPF, Highlight waited metering, reduced RAW file size option.......... apart from the price what's not to like !

Might be crazy, but today I will be testing 35mm 1.8dx :) when you set camera to get rid of vignetting, it is barely noticeable :)
Will post some results :)

Might be crazy, but today I will be testing 35mm 1.8dx :) when you set camera to get rid of vignetting, it is barely noticeable :)
Will post some results :)

Edge sharpness will be bloody awful probably.

Last edited:
Looks good improvements on the D810 but I won't be upgrading as my D800 does what I want it to do, as I now mainly use it for landscape togging 90% of the time the improved AF and higher ISO is not for my needs, I know the D810 goes lower on the ISO but 100 does me and the IQ I'am more than happy with so won't be upgrading anytime soon.

cant see why youd want to. You might just about get 1500 for a d800 now, the 810 isnt worth anywhere near the gap in cost. It will be interesting to see if Nikon play the greed card again and hike the price a couple of weeks after release.

cant see why youd want to. You might just about get 1500 for a d800 now, the 810 isnt worth anywhere near the gap in cost. It will be interesting to see if Nikon play the greed card again and hike the price a couple of weeks after release.

£1100 gap then, I wouldn't no, but I guess in 6 months the new price of a d800 will be down to £2200ish and second hand ones will be£1750 ish and I'll probably still get £1450 for the D800. At that point, I probably would.

Nikon History tells us that it will reduce in price over the next 12 months I can't see this model bring treated any differently.

Nikon History tells us that it will reduce in price over the next 12 months I can't see this model bring treated any differently.

It should do it seems to be par for the course for any new camera release they always drop after 6 months or so - depends on demand I guess.

When will be see a mint used D800 for sale at £1,250?

starting to appear on Ebay

Last edited:
Anyone worried about not having enough batteries for this camera, really shouldn't. I charged up the 2 I have before we headed to Spain for a week with the kids, thankfully, as I forgot to pack charger. We're home 3 days now and I'm giving them their first charge since! And I used the camera every day over there, swapped batteries about 4 days in, there was still 20% in the first. I think it's amazing how well the batteries last in this camera.

Last edited:

Today....in the for sale section.....

The D810 has a few things I would like - the very quiet operation is a big plus for me plus better iso performance and faster af - I wont be getting it until it drops below 2k though..

I don't believe how value of this camera dropped since its launch...still great camera thought :) not going to get rid of mine soon ;)

The D810 has a few things I would like - the very quiet operation is a big plus for me plus better iso performance and faster af - I wont be getting it until it drops below 2k though..

You can get it for under 2k if your prepared to go grey.

I don't believe how value of this camera dropped since its launch...still great camera thought :) not going to get rid of mine soon ;)

It is very surprising that it has dropped so much, so quickly ……….. the D800 was only about 2 years ago before the D810 replaced it ……..I think that it was almost 4 years before the D700 was replaced by the D800

"Must have the latest" ... more profit for the manufacturers, less value for the purchasers as nobody want last months model.

I`ll be keeping mine for quite some time, cracking camera and selling very low secondhand at the moment.

I`ll be keeping mine for quite some time, cracking camera and selling very low secondhand at the moment.
You do need the very best glass though, ive got 2 older Tamrons, the 24-135mm and the legendary 28-105mm f/2.8, both struggle on the D800 but stunning on a D3/3S/D4/D600/D700

When this came out there was a screen issue and the left hand focus issue. Was there a serial number range to avoid, is there a danger I will pick one up second hand and have this issue.

Am currently debating with getting another d700 (cheapest option and will give me 2 of them), or a D3 (Not sure I want the additional weight though) or a d800 (pretty much up to date and gives me a decent dx mode if I need it, plus video may be useful).

There are varied opinions on this issue, many don't be leave its as bad or even existed in a great extent as they had cameras that function fine.
I don't think there was a range or it was only in early production myself. I bought a d800 oct 2012 which had the issue(6 months after release), i used it as was for 6/7 months as i went traveling twice for 3 weeks at a time,then had xmas , so i waited till after that to send to in ..it was returned worse, so I swapped it for a D800E which would have been around feb 2013, which also has said issue not so bad and I've just learnt to live with it to be honest.

As for the screen issue I've never noticed that on either camera.

Back in the 80s Nikon brought the new model out between 6-10 years how times have changed.

In fairness... back then, a camera literally was a light tight box that held the film flat.

Nikon F - 1959
Nikon F2 - 1972
Nikon F3 - 1980
Nikon F4 - 1988
Nikon F5 - 1996
Nikon F6 - 2004

As more advanced features, especially AF become available, the time between model releases does fall. Now of course, the sensor itself is the predominant technology, and as with all semiconductor progress, it's rapid, so camera's becomes obsolete faster.

You also have to remember that there were model refreshes in all these F cameras... F3, F3HP etc... which are the equivalent of D3 to D3x, etc... Also... the lesser camera releases were quite common... FM2, FE2 etc... There was always something new on the horizon even back then.

Looking at digital F camera's only and ignoring model updates...

Nikon D1 - 1999
Nikon D2 - 2004
Nikon D3 - 2007
Nikon D4 - 2012

There's still on average 5 years between releases.

It's not changed as much as you think.

You do need the very best glass though, ive got 2 older Tamrons, the 24-135mm and the legendary 28-105mm f/2.8, both struggle on the D800 but stunning on a D3/3S/D4/D600/D700
And that's a whole other ball game.

The smart money has always been spent on the glass rather than the box that contains the sensor or film.
But, 36Mp puts a real strain on a beloved piece of glass. My best glass is stunning on 12 and 24 megapixels. And to be fair will still be good on 36. But, I'm guessing that 36Mp takes no prisoners with mediocre glass. I expect it would chew up a 24-85 kit lens.
Pixel peeping with some of my favourite D lenses on 24Mp is showing their limits. Not sure my 105 F2 DC would fair too well on 36Mp. But it's still great on 12.

YEP - Gone grey and now bald..:D

On a serious note though, indeed Ive already seen it for less than 2k for grey imports - IF I can get a Dom Gen warranty on a grey import then I am fine with that but I'm not gonna be an early adopter - I never am with Kit.. I normally buy the back end of tech once its premium has been wiped off. But I am after a second body and I was going to get a d700 but after reading some early reviews of the 810 with all the improvements over the 800 its tempted me.

I'm still dithering. This has to be the longest I've ever taken to pick a camera but my wife prefers that to me buying three different cameras over the course of four months.

Panamoz has the D800 and Df for £1400 a piece, which is very tempting.

Is there anyone here using the cheaper 1.8G series of primes with the D800 who can offer some insight into their performance on the 36MP sensor?

Only used the 50 1.8g and had no issues with either the d800 or E. I have since sold it but only because I switched to a sigma 35mm as I found it better with my 85mm and had 50mm covered with my 24-70mm.
I actually wish I had kept it in a way, as performance was great for the price and it was very small and light which I can't say either my 35 or 85 are.
The new nikon 35 1.8 fx len's doesn't seem to great for the cost and I would defiantly say to grab the sigma ,as used there wouldn't be much difference in price.
The 85 1.8 seems to be a great buy also, I've got the 1.4 which does seem to get more favourable reviews ,but for the price difference I doubt its that big a difference,had the new 1.8 been released at the same time as the 1.4 i might have considered it.

Again the 28 1.8 seems to get great reviews

nothing special but heres some 50 1.8G shots from either my d800 or E .its plenty sharp enough for my needs.

Mia woods BW by pmac1985, on Flickr

Mia blacked out by pmac1985, on Flickr

The passing smoker by pmac1985, on Flickr

candles by pmac1985, on Flickr

Xiu's birthday dress by pmac1985, on Flickr

I'm still dithering. This has to be the longest I've ever taken to pick a camera but my wife prefers that to me buying three different cameras over the course of four months.

Panamoz has the D800 and Df for £1400 a piece, which is very tempting.

Is there anyone here using the cheaper 1.8G series of primes with the D800 who can offer some insight into their performance on the 36MP sensor?

I use the 85mm 1.8G, and find it fantastic. It's one of the sharpest lenses you can get to compliment the D800/E - so good that DXOmark have it ranked 4th highest on their lens ratings, [3rd if you consider that #1 and #2 are the same lens just tested on 2 bodies] when paired with the D800E - http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings

And considering the lens is only £375, and the Zeiss that just barely beats it in terms of sharpness is £3000+!!

It actually outscores the Otus when the Zeiss is on a D610.

That's just numbers of course, but I know which I'd rather fork out for! It's the kind of price you can't ignore, especially when using such a beast of a camera. It needs top lenses to get the best out of it. And the 85 1.8G is the cheapest-best you'll get.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Yeah, it's a very cool image. Was it someone you knew? or a stranger? Just curious, makes no odds to the image :)

Thanks .
It was actually taken from inside a bus as we were stuck in post work traffic on the way home and they pulled up beside.
Not sure if the window was open but looks like it was as they slide horizontaly on the shanghai buses.

I've take quite a few on the bus I've liked, this wasn't with the 50 as it was another night
sardines in a can 1 by pmac1985, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks .
It was actually taken from inside a bus as we were stuck in post work traffic on the way home and they pulled up beside.
Not sure if the window was open but looks like it was as they slide horizontaly on the shanghai buses.

I've take quite a few on the bus I've liked, this wasn't with the 50 as it was another night
sardines in a can 1 by pmac1985, on Flickr
Very "Blade Runner"

Anyone else found if you turn off the custom setting A3 : Focus tracking with Lock-on helps the autofocus speed improve? Compared to the default setting which slows it down, I turned it off the other day and found for Birds in flight it really helped lock focus better and improves the hit rate

Back