Nikon D810

Hi killy

Cheers for the advice above. I will give this a go on my Kingstons once I find five mins spare.

Regards

Gary

Shipping a camera box wrapped only in paper is madness. Did Panamoz say why they hadn't used proper packaging?
Just had a Nikon DF from them but the AF is shocking, back focus on all my Nikon lenses, AF fine tune no good, tried with a mates lenses and no good, exact same with a D7100 i bought a few weeks back, both cameras were horribly packaged, just the original box in a thin tight plain outer box with absolutely no extra protection like bubble wrap or anything, my thinking is they are getting banged about in transit, they did fully refund the D7100 and ive also asked for a full refund on this as well, never had any issues before but before everything has always been wrapped properly

Just had a Nikon DF from them but the AF is shocking, back focus on all my Nikon lenses, AF fine tune no good, tried with a mates lenses and no good, exact same with a D7100 i bought a few weeks back, both cameras were horribly packaged, just the original box in a thin tight plain outer box with absolutely no extra protection like bubble wrap or anything, my thinking is they are getting banged about in transit, they did fully refund the D7100 and ive also asked for a full refund on this as well, never had any issues before but before everything has always been wrapped properly

That's interesting. My partner's D4 was so off when she got it that you couldn't correct for the back focusing with AF fine tune. Had to send it back but it's fine now. A friend had a D800 that was unusably soft and back focused. Never heard of this happening to D700/D3s bodies before. Quality control issues, perhaps?

Had 2 D800s. Both fine. I'm sure there are just as many people who have had a faulty D700 or D3 if you go looking for them.

Had 2 D800s. Both fine. I'm sure there are just as many people who have had a faulty D700 or D3 if you go looking for them.
Dont recall anything ever about a single D700 but i think there were green tint issues with early D3 models but as it was such a major major advance in tech and ISO handling it was forgot about and fixed with a later firmware update

I reallt have the AF fine tune on newer models, why should you have to do Nikons QC for them.

Nikon do seem to have had quite few problems with their quality control in recent years. The main reason there is a D610 is because the oil issues with the D600 were so bad for people to buy that with confidence, or even buy 2nd hand with confidence of the problem being there, or in the case of a 2nd hand buyer, had the previous owner had it fixed, that they just drew a line under that and brought out a new model.

The same with the focus issues with the D800's. Odd LCD colours too. Nikon don't help themselves by admitting to (if at all) any problems, and putting in systems to rectify problems for customers in a timely manner.

There seem to be an increasing number of cameras either needing the focus tuned, or are not able to be made to work satisfactory even after an attempt of AF tune. Whether that turns out to be a few isolated incidents, or a real problems for many users, only time will tell.

Yes, you will only hear of the bad news, but there don't seem to be many issues with their non 'Pro' range that I have heard. You would expect QC to be better on a premium product wouldn't you? :thinking: :rolleyes:

Yes, you will only hear of the bad news, but there don't seem to be many issues with their non 'Pro' range that I have heard. You would expect QC to be better on a premium product wouldn't you? :thinking: :rolleyes:
I suspect there are a large number of DSLR users who wouldn't recognize that there was an issue with their camera... but most people spending $3k+ would... at least I would hope so.

Just come back from a weekend where I took my new D810 away for a play pre 'paid job'. I only took my 50mm f/1.4 which I don't think showed the camera off to its best compared to other pro lenses. The pic shown is taken at 1/60th at f/1.8 ISO 500. I downsized the image to 6" x 4" but at full size I was a little surprised by the noise at this ISO. Had a play earlier today with some more exotic lenses and the IQ was better (as was nailing the focus which I think has always been suspect on my 50mm). For this image I was playing with the AF fine tune to nail focus on the eyes at a shallow DOF, but like I said the focus on this lens always seems to stray from the point selected in screen as shown by the Nikon software which shows where focus hit - is that common for this lens??
I also have the D3s which I love for low light but the sheer size of the image from the 810 is immense. Was happy with the feel of the camera but difficult to compare the noise handling compared to the D3s at the moment. Got a dim interior church christening coming up next weekend and am torn between which body to use for the indoor stuff.................

Test-TP.jpg

No - Nikon UK won't touch a grey import.
Why wouldn't you be able to register an import? It's not like it's a knock off product!

They will ... though maybe not as a direct warranty repair.

......the focus on this lens always seems to stray from the point selected in screen as shown by the Nikon software which shows where focus hit .....

Assuming you're referring to the "Show Focus Point" switch in Nikon Capture NX2 or ViewNX2 - you can only rely on the indicator if you didn't move the camera between acquiring focus and pressing the shutter release. If you did move it (or the subject moved) the software's indicator is likely to be misleading.

You can test indicator accuracy using a stationary subject and the camera on a tripod.

Last edited:
I downsized the image to 6" x 4" but at full size I was a little surprised by the noise at this ISO.....
I also have the D3s which I love for low light but the sheer size of the image from the 810 is immense. Was happy with the feel of the camera but difficult to compare the noise handling compared to the D3s at the moment. Got a dim interior church christening coming up next weekend and am torn between which body to use for the indoor stuff.................
At full size the D8xx is going to be noisier. But for any given print/display size they should be ~ equal... up to at least ISO 1600 (3200-6400 more realistically).

For what its worth I shot last weeks wedding using group focus and the camera never missed a single shot, day light or 1st dance where as the D800/800E always had misses, perhaps I was just lucky?

Wilky

I've been using the D810 pretty exclusively for the last week or so. The AF is noticeably improved in both speed and accuracy. No AFMA required for any lens used so far.
But side by side with the D4 it still doesn't seem quite as fast or certain in AF (same 400mm f/2.8 VRII and the same subject/situation). The D800 tends to hunt a little more, particularly when the TC-E 2 III is added to the lens. It also seems to need/want a bit more contrast.

I haven't tried tracking moving subjects with it yet.

I see Nikon are now resolving the bright spot issues with some cameras. Adjusting values and updating firmware. Now putting out cameras with a small black dot at the tripod mount for cameras already adjusted.

Thanks for the heads up

You can read about this here

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61871

there is a link that you can enter your serial number into and check if your camera is affected -

Unfortunately mine is one of them

Regards

Mike

Last edited:
Wonder whether grey imports will be included in the free service?

Just had the email. Can't say I've noticed any issues yet but will send off when the rush dies down.

Amazing, another problem with a camera from Nikon. :eek:

At least Nikon are acknowledging the problem and are doing something about it.

Still shouldn't be happening though. :rolleyes:

Yes and it is a very good reason not to be quick to buy new products. Seems to be like beta software except that the customer pays to be a guinea pig.

Last edited:
Increasingly common these days. I was an early adopter on the Fuji X-T1 which had a light leak. It was fixed in days. It's frustrating having to wait for your camera to come back but thats why we have a back up so there are no major dramas.

I thought I would wait a little longer for the D810 to drop, also waiting to see what the full specs are for the D750.

Amazing, another problem with a camera from Nikon. :eek:

At least Nikon are acknowledging the problem and are doing something about it. This time. ;)

Still shouldn't be happening though. :rolleyes:

They're clearly rushing stuff out for some reason. They do seem on a mission to release as many different cameras with.. let's be honest... not very different specs lately.

It really is silly to rush out and buy the latest release of anything, unless you absolutely need it of course. Why can't people just wait? It's this absolute feeding frenzy response that probably drives manufacturers to rush things to market before competition in the first place.

One annoying thing about the Nikon web page acknowledging the fault is the serial number checker. You type yours in to see if it's affected... great... but that doesn't help those trying to AVOID buying a faulty one in the first place. They should just publish a range of serial numbers affected.

Not entirely, no, but it does seem to be the most mission critical thing for companies in similar sectors to get their new stuff out there absolutely ASAP because they know they can make a killing on the day zero, and pre order upgrade junkies. For some reason they feel the need to release more cameras in less time than I can ever recall since I started paying attention to such things around 35 years ago. There isn't really a need for all these cameras but there seems to be a market for them, and all the while all Nikon users seem to is whine that they want a D300S replacement, then a D700 replacement... The D800 is too slow... the D810 is still too hi res.. we want this, we want that. If they don't provide the products they're screwed, and if they rush to sate the hunger of the ravenous pack, then they're cutting corners in testing products fully before release. Of course.. they could invest in more resources and staff... but then the camera would cost more, and then everyone would moan about that.

The problem is... everyone wants the moon on a stick. How many ****ing cameras choices do people bloody well want? LOL

Last edited:
Nikon are actually doing people a favour by discouraging folk from being early adopters, at least with their cameras at anyway. ;) :LOL:

LOL.. yeah.. they need no help from me it would seem.

Not entirely, no, but it does seem to be the most mission critical thing for companies in similar sectors to get their new stuff out there absolutely ASAP because they know they can make a killing on the day zero, and pre order upgrade junkies. For some reason they feel the need to release more cameras in less time than I can ever recall since I started paying attention to such things around 35 years ago. There isn't really a need for all these cameras but there seems to be a market for them, and all the while all Nikon users seem to is whine that they want a D300S replacement, then a D700 replacement... The D800 is too slow... the D810 is still too hi res.. we want this, we want that. If they don't provide the products they're screwed, and if they rush to sate the hunger of the ravenous pack, then they're cutting corners in testing products fully before release. Of course.. they could invest in more resources and staff... but then the camera would cost more, and then everyone would moan about that.

The problem is... everyone wants the moon on a stick. How many ****ing cameras choices do people bloody well want? LOL

Fair point!

cheers, cw

Too long most likely.

I'm wondering about the extent of this fault. Photographylife posted about this a few days ago (there's another thread in here about it) and what they posted as "evidence" was merely normal for the circumstances. In fact I replicated the exact "fault" with my D800E.

If it turns out what Photographylife reported is the actual fault I'm wondering why Nikon don't just turn around and tell everyone to sod off as there's nothing wrong with it. It has to be a different fault.. or at least far more severe than Phtographylife demonstrated.

Strangely, I can't find any images of this problem posted anywhere except the ones Photgraphylife published. Surely such a widespread fault would have the internet flooded with them? Every article I read with pictures, links back to Photgraphylife.

Strangely, I can't find any images of this problem posted anywhere except the ones Photgraphylife published. Surely such a widespread fault would have the internet flooded with them? Every article I read with pictures, links back to Photgraphylife.
Internet amplification effect perhaps?

The camera manufacturers, and Nikon especially in the DSLR segment, are killing the market by releasing too many cameras too quickly imho. They confuse the chap in the street with too many cameras with relatively minor differences, they have old stock still in shops and warehouses adding to the confusion. Do I get a D3100/3200/3300 or a D5100/5200/5300, because they are all still available. :confused: :rolleyes: And because of depreciation, all pretty similar in price.

Bringing out cameras so close to each other depreciates cameras quicker. You would hope that they think they know what they are doing, (doubt it) and they are getting a sales boost from each new release, but at a certain point even 'Joe Ignorant in the street' will catch on about buying any camera new, when they depreciate so quickly. At that point what happens when they don't get the expected sales kick? :thinking:

Only Nikon can say whether D800 sales had dropped to a point where there was a need for a new model, but I didn't hear many longing for an upgrade. Most D800 users were happy with their cameras as far as I could see. Yes there would always be minor gripes with any camera, but nothing major bar the initial manufacturing faults. For many it is still better than the 5DIII, its only competitor, and there doesn't seem to be a 5DIV on the horizon to try and better it anytime soon. Leave it a bit longer and there could have been more significant new features to entice more D800 users to upgrade, or even better a 5DIV should it appear.

And then as soon as they release the D810 there is talk of another FX camera to potentially confuse FX users like the DX users. :rolleyes: Madness. :confused:

Ironically, a camera a section of Nikon users want, a D300S replacement is forgotten about. You can't please all the people all the time, but you can try an entice people to buy something new quite often, even if it isn't exactly what they want. ;)

Last edited:
Only a couple of weeks so apparently it's the normal timescale ... just hope the normal timescale isn't affected by all these returns of beta D810's

LOL@Beta D810s :)

Back