Nikon D810

Well after shooting a dozen theater / stage school . Dance shows now with My D3 I am hankering for some more cropability - I had wanted to try out a D800 way back but could not justify the cost. I still cant !! But my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to get down the shops and give a D810 a go.......

First thing that hits you is how very quiet it is in operation...I mean very soft damped down shutter.....front of church in service would be possible without drawing any attention!
Focus lock is rapid faster than D3s in my mind anyway
The picture compared to what I am used to is stunning and versatile for cropping and retaining resolution
Its just a little lacking in height for my big hands but I could live with that - I can always get the grip....

Felt nice in the hand......too

Just need to wait until the price comes down a little more then I am in......this may well be a sweet spot of DSLR's for Nikon - like the D3s......

I've been playing around with the the D810s continuous burst shooting mode. I've found that using the highest quality (Fine) RAW lossless compressed 14 bit files it will allow 23 straight shots in a row before the the buffer fills up in FX mode, pause for two seconds and your on you way again. I'm using a 16GB SanDisk Extreme Pro UMDA CF card to record these. I have also tried shooting with 12-bit compression but can't see much visible difference in the detail to 14-bit. Firing 3-5 second busts with a shutter speed of 1/8000. I really want to photograph a football match or some other fast action sport to see how this works in the real world. The AF continuous mode is particularly quick at locking on to a subject. I'm very impressed with its capabilities so far.

I have also tried shooting with 12-bit compression but can't see much visible difference in the detail to 14-bit.
You normally won't... 14bit is kind of like having a couple extra bits of "recoverability."
23 straight shots in a row before the the buffer fills up in FX mode, pause for two seconds and your on you way again
Can't imagine ever needing that much...

You normally won't... 14bit is kind of like having a couple extra bits of "recoverability."
Can't imagine ever needing that much...

I think the buffer speed is perfectly adequate for most people. There's always more to had shooting JPEG (100 FPS ) You can definitely pull more detail from the shadows and highlights though using 14 bit which is my preferred option.

Last edited:
Quite glad to see that there are not many reports of faults with this camera (unlike the D800 with focussing issues and the D600 will oil problems).

Anyone know if the D810 is selling well ?

Got my hands on a D810 but have found some of my compact cards won't work with it!
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
I have 5x 16gig Delkin UDMA 500 cards and even the new Kingston UDMA 32gig ultimate 600 wont format or work?

Got my hands on a D810 but have found some of my compact cards won't work with it!
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
I have 5x 16gig Delkin UDMA 500 cards and even the new Kingston UDMA 32gig ultimate 600 wont format or work?
I had that with my D800... it didn't like cards that had been formatted with another camera.
It might be possible to wipe/format with a computer to make it happy... I never tried that.

Just got my D810... more impressed than I expected to be!

Calumet made a tempting offer of 'bonus £300 trade in value on top of our normal offer towards the Nikon D810'. They offered me £1100 for my D800 which sounds pretty good for a trade in so I took it... although would they REALLY only have offered me £800 before this promotion???

'bonus £300 trade in value on top of our normal offer towards the Nikon D810'.

For those terms I wold say it was poor TBH but I have seen this type of 'offer' several times and it is meaningless if not actually deceptive as it's never £300 + the usual.

For those terms I wold say it was poor TBH but I have seen this type of 'offer' several times and it is meaningless if not actually deceptive as it's never £300 + the usual.

Yes, I'm sure the 'normal' offer would have been comfortably more than £800... a bit of a sharp practice to try and kid people into thinking it's a better deal than it really is. Still, at £1100 the actual offer wasn't a million miles from ebay prices for a similar example so, for the convenience, I still thought it was worth doing.

Pretty appalling of Adobe that Lightroom STILL doesn't support tethered shooting with either the D810 or even the D4S (which has been out since last February). I've switched to Capture One Pro 8 for tethering which has supported both cameras for a while now... and does a better job of it too!

Reactions: ST4
Pretty appalling of Adobe that Lightroom STILL doesn't support tethered shooting with either the D810 or even the D4S (which has been out since last February). I've switched to Capture One Pro 8 for tethering which has supported both cameras for a while now... and does a better job of it too!

Lightroom 5.6 supports both D810 and D4s !

I joined the D810 club last week... upgraded from my trusty D200. Very impressed thus far, excellent piece of kit. Just determining next whether to get the MB-D12 grip!

Last edited:
I bought my grip before receiving the D810. Whilst without it, It was bigger than the D7K it feels so much better with the grip

I bought my grip before receiving the D810. Whilst without it, It was bigger than the D7K it feels so much better with the grip

I bought one in the end (after hiking around quite a few central London outlets I might add!) and am very pleased with it. It's a little picky but the battery arrangement was better on the D200 grip - i.e both batteries were in the grip so you didn't have to take the grip off the camera to change the batteries... not sure if the D810 configuration is to do with weather sealing or similar. Not a massive issue though in the grand scheme of things!

I bought one in the end (after hiking around quite a few central London outlets I might add!) and am very pleased with it. It's a little picky but the battery arrangement was better on the D200 grip - i.e both batteries were in the grip so you didn't have to take the grip off the camera to change the batteries... not sure if the D810 configuration is to do with weather sealing or similar. Not a massive issue though in the grand scheme of things!

Mine is set up to use the batt in the grip first so as long as I charge that before it gets too low I very rarely have to take the grip off anyway

For those of you who use the D810 as a gp or wedding camera I thought I post this up, I'm getting some serious moire in images more often than I'd like. Its always usually mens suits, often grey in colour, but this particular example was when we were forced to do some pics inside due to the weather. Image is a heavy crop, shot with a 35mm Sigma at ISO600, F5, 1/200s, SOOC. I'm finding that the global moire adjustment causes too much colour bleed so having to remove it with a brush (you can see where I've fixed some of the wall), Capture One is far better than LR for me, but if anyone else has any other ideas how to remove this quickly it would be much appreciated!

i-zwkNG5f-L.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you who use the D810 as a gp or wedding camera I thought I post this up, I'm getting some serious moire in images more often than I'd like. Its always usually mens suits, often grey in colour, but this particular example was when we were forced to do some pics inside due to the weather. Image is a heavy crop, shot with a 35mm Sigma at ISO600, F5, 1/200s, SOOC. I'm finding that the global moire adjustment causes too much colour bleed so having to remove it with a brush (you can see where I've fixed some of the wall), Capture One is far better than LR for me, but if anyone else has any other ideas how to remove this quickly it would be much appreciated!

i-zwkNG5f-L.jpg

This phenomena can become more apparent by over sharpening, but I'm not experiencing any issues similar to yours. I have a few fine weave grey suited shots. Will dig them out ND have a look.

This phenomena can become more apparent by over sharpening, but I'm not experiencing any issues similar to yours. I have a few fine weave grey suited shots. Will dig them out ND have a look.

Thanks, good point about sharpening, reducing it for the affected areas does make it less pronounced. I've seen it on both my D810's, using the 35mm + 85mm sigma's and Tamron 90mm macro, right up to iso 1600. Dealing with a little here and there on suits is fine, but on virtually the whole freakin' wall is ridiculous!

Thanks, good point about sharpening, reducing it for the affected areas does make it less pronounced. I've seen it on both my D810's, using the 35mm + 85mm sigma's and Tamron 90mm macro, right up to iso 1600. Dealing with a little here and there on suits is fine, but on virtually the whole freakin' wall is ridiculous!

:eek: Woah, agreed

I got one today too from NPS, usually a bit of a heads up but not on this occasion. i'm going to wait a couple of weeks to gauge the reaction. Does not look to be a significant upgrade. Also one out for the D750 too.

I had made my mind up to go for the D750 but now thinking about the D810.
I am having to use at least ISO1600 at this time of year on my D7000 but not too happy with the noise I am having to remove and also some detail. I like to shoot wildlife and I know I will have to crop more on FX so maybe 36mp will give me more scope over the D750 but I am concerned that the huge file sizes from the D810 will cause my computer to struggle in PP. Has anyone had any problems? Really do like the D750 but this purchase of a camera body will be my last for quite some time now so I want to make the correct choice. Why do things always have to so complicated.

I am having to use at least ISO1600 at this time of year on my D7000 but not too happy with the noise I am having to remove and also some detail. I like to shoot wildlife and I know I will have to crop more on FX so maybe 36mp will give me more scope over the D750 but I am concerned that the huge file sizes from the D810 will cause my computer to struggle in PP. Has anyone had any problems? Really do like the D750 but this purchase of a camera body will be my last for quite some time now so I want to make the correct choice. Why do things always have to so complicated.

Although I had to send mine back, (isolated issue), the D810 is a great camera and an excellent upgrade from the D800 I swapped it for ... in addition to the sharp image quality, the ability to crop for distant wildlife is excellent.
Having sent it back I got a D4S, which is excellent, but I do still sometimes miss the file size of the D8xx series.
I don't know what your PC spec is ... my laptop is Core i5 with 16GB RAM and it never falters, I'm pretty sure it would be fine with less RAM too.

I am having to use at least ISO1600 at this time of year on my D7000 but not too happy with the noise I am having to remove and also some detail. I like to shoot wildlife and I know I will have to crop more on FX so maybe 36mp will give me more scope over the D750

Careful. If you crop a D8xx/1600 image to DX the results will be about identical to your D7000 images. The MP "cropability" is really a fallacy. it doesn't matter what camera it is, if you crop in you loose overall IQ/performance. And the high MP cameras are *more dependent* on all of that data in order to achieve good IQ.

Last edited:
Back