Nikon D810

If anyone thought it was worth it they'd be daft. It's always worth skipping a generation. At least.

So if you currently didn't have a full frame camera, and you had Nikon lenses, needed full frame, high resolution, great dynamic range etc... you'd recommend skipping the D810 because of some arbitrary rule you made up about missing a generation? yeah.. you have to love the internet... LOL

I reckon the D810 is probably the best SLR you can buy now it's filled some glaring holes in it's video feature set.

Just because it's not worth upgrading from a D800E doesn't mean it's not brilliant.. it just means the D800E is also brilliant.

You said upgrading from a D800. Hence my 'skipping a gen' comment.

If you're going to be a princess at least try and remember what you posted and what I was actually replying to.

And yes, there's a perfectly good argument to say skip the D810 in favour of an 800 if you don't want what the 810 offers and fancy saving a grand.

Anyone with half a brain knows that skipping a gen applies to pretty much every tech sector unless you have more money that sense. Or that you think that having the newest kit will make you a better photographer.

I was referring about buying from scratch, as I thought you were too.

As for the grand.... give it a couple of months. There's no way it will stay at the retail price it is now.

As for skipping a generation, I disagree. I just think you should buy what you need, when you need it. If someone shoots a great deal of video, and is already invested in the Nikon lens system, then they'll be all over the D810, and rightly so.

One day and the camera is written off.

You have to love the internet.

I'm not even sure it took that long, it was getting panned even before release.

I shot a wedding yesterday with the D810 (alongside my trusty D3s's) and it was a pleasure. IQ is superb (I don't care if its better than the D800 or not) but that's not what I think this upgrade is about from Nikon, it feels like a much more rounded, well thought out beast. When I was using the D800 for weddings a couple of years ago it always felt like I was using the wrong tool for the job (and had trouble trusting it to deliver keepers when I knew the D3s would without doubt), I didn't get that yesterday at all.

Two surprises for me - the shutter is ridiculously quiet, quiet mode is there but I didn't need it, even in the church. The battery life isn't great, not compared to the D3's anyway.

Reckon you'll move to 810's?

It's early days but it's looking that way. I'll give it a few weeks until the honeymoon period is over before deciding what to do. I am going to put one D3s up for sale, the other two will only follow once I've added an SSD the iMac to help negate the size of the files.

The live view looks like it would be worth the upgrade to me. The mangled D800 live view is just horrible to use.

If anyone thought it was worth it they'd be daft. It's always worth skipping a generation. At least.

I'm talking about the usual sky is falling BS in places like DP review.
So going straight from D3 to D4 and skipping the D3S would have been your advice to everyone, really, i mean really.

Unless you had a screaming need for an extra stop of ISO and you had perfectly good D3 bodies. Absolutely.

Most people I know did exactly that. That's because they have brains and understand it's the sensible move. Just the same as few people with D4 bodies moved to D4s. Plenty of D3s owners went to D4s bodies though.

Last edited:
Unless you had a screaming need for an extra stop of ISO and you had perfectly good D3 bodies. Absolutely.

Most people I know did exactly that. That's because they have brains and understand it's the sensible move. Just the same as few people with D4 bodies moved to D4s. Plenty of D3s owners went to D4s bodies though.

Agree. There are a few next gen upgrades that make sense, otherwise it's definitely skip IMO. Typically a few years ago when the jump from a d300 to d700 was massive, d80 to d90 too. These days it seems to be small updates.

Professionals buy what they need, when they need it. b****x to all this skip a generation crap. If the D810 has nothing you need, don't buy it... if it does... buy it. It really is as simple as that.

Professionals buy what they can, when they can afford it. They understand that profit may come before the latest and greatest if it means they stay in business.

The idea that pros just go out and buy stuff at will the moment it's released is frankly laughable. Most use what they have until it breaks and then often replace with second hand as wealthy amateurs replace their kit with barely a click on it.

Re-read what I said... they buy what they NEED. I never said they "go out and buy stuff at will the moment it's released". Stop being an arse.

Re-read what I said... they buy what they NEED. I never said they "go out and buy stuff at will the moment it's released". Stop being an arse.

But rarely would a pro need to upgrade, in this case, from an 800 to an 810. Most updates are very small tweaks.

But rarely would a pro need to upgrade, in this case, from an 800 to an 810. Most updates are very small tweaks.

I'm not disagreeing with you, nor am I suggesting the D810 is an essential upgrade for anyone or not. I'm not even referring to the D810 at all. I'm disputing the "skip a generation" myth.

It's a myth because you think it is. It's true across all tech sectors. Got an iPhone 5? Wait for the 6. Mid cycle models are incremental at best.

Smart money and smart minds skip a gen and buy the older model when the new ones hit. Often second hand because some think that having the very best and very newest makes them a great photographer and are trapped in an endless upgrade cycle than provides a meaty second hand market for the rest.

Not a myth. Just sensible thinking.

As for the arse comment. Try and keep things adult eh. We can have different opinions to you.

I had an iPhone 4. Didn't bother with the 4s and got a 5. If the phone broke today I would obviously get a 5c, but as it stands will wait until the 6 comes out. The one exception may be the d700/d800 was there was a bit of time between the 2 and they are quite different.

It's a myth because you think it is. It's true across all tech sectors. Got an iPhone 5? Wait for the 6. Mid cycle models are incremental at best.

You're correct.. but if you actually NEED a new iPhone now... you buy whatever iPhone is current.

You're just talking about peopel who upgrade mindlessly. I'm referring to people who need a product.

I heard the skipping generations of tech thing mainly with Photoshop. There may have not been enough must have features in each new version to justify an upgrade for many. Obviously if you needed one of those new features you would upgrade. ;) One of the reason they have gone to their subscription model is to get money off most people all the time rather than every other version from some.

To some the upgrade to the D300 all those years back was a minor upgrade, but if you wanted/needed the video and/or back up card slot, it was a must have upgrade. Only the individual can say whether a newer version of something is worth the upgrade rather than just having a blanket statement.

Of course point out whether people will actually benefit from an upgrade. :)

People do like shiny new things though. ;) :LOL:

Guys, looking at this thread as im interested in buying and will buy the D810. I didnt join the thread to read the bickering and the crap you guys are shooting at each other- if i want to read that i will go back to the " bird" section of the forum.

I and others have posted loads of information in here regarding the D810, and spent not an inconsiderable amount of time doing so in order to help you, and people like you. If I want to go off on a tangent in my own thread, then I will. The information is all still there regardless. Or do you only read the one single page your browser falls upon? If you have any questions, or wish to contribute to the thread, then feel free.

Besides.. whether it's WORTH getting one is exactly what is being discussed here.. albeit rather pedantically from some quarters.

Last edited:
I have read the other pages and didnt feel the need to comment as the info was good however getting involved in tit for tat your both looking like t***s. I wont comment again until i get my camera and feel i can add more as if i get drawn in then im as bad as both you guys are being.

If anyone thinks the d3 to d3s wasn't a worthy upgrade then they need their teeth pulling. To say anyone who did the upgrade has no brains is insulting and as such Radiohead needs to take stock of his comment and think why he would ask David to be adult with his comments

if you think the only benefit was an extra stop of ISO improvement then what about the massive buffer upgrade, video etc,etc. In fact it was more like a 2 stop improvement over the D3. Even the d4 and 4s aren't as big upgrades

I have read the other pages and didnt feel the need to comment as the info was good however getting involved in tit for tat your both looking like t***s. I wont comment again until i get my camera and feel i can add more as if i get drawn in then im as bad as both you guys are being.

If you feel correcting people who insist that NO ONE upgrades to a D810 simply because it's not a full generational incarnation and therefore breaks some "rule", then fine... I'm a t**t. I'm glad you feel the info this t**t and the other t**ts have provided you with was helpful. Have a nice day.

Radiohead, the d3 d3s was an opinion and I've no problems there. And yes, by your own admission you are a t*** :D

Last edited:
Bloomin eck, I've only been away for a few hours and it's all gone handbag swinging - it must be the heat !

Anyway, back on track the D810 is a seriously good camera. There's nothing not to like about it apart from the price but that will drop just after Christmas or there will be a promotion on.

The D800E was the same price near enough when it launched. Launch prices are always BS... just wait a wee while.

Well that was fun!

Ah, the days when I was yearning for a D90 .... I'm going to be happy with my D800E for a long time to come, end of the day, after processing they all give the same results.

The D800E was the same price near enough when it launched. Launch prices are always BS... just wait a wee while.
Curiously, 5 months after launch, the best price on the D4S is still £5199 (according to camera price buster). Wonder why that hasn't dropped yet...<shrug>

Curiously, 5 months after launch, the best price on the D4S is still £5199 (according to camera price buster). Wonder why that hasn't dropped yet...<shrug>

It's a professional tool, and most who buy one can write off the cost as an expense at the end of the following tax year, so there's no need to try and tempt people. The D8xx, despite being a professional camera is in a price bracket that means it's within the reach of amateurs, so they've realised that price cuts equals greater volume. Greater volume equals more sales. I don't think that equation works with the D4S as it would still be stupidly expensive even when discounted.

Also.. the D4S has a pretty limited market - press, sports, wildlife... that kind of thing. No one else needs, or wants it. If someone gave me one now, I'd sell it immediately.

Also.. the D4S has a pretty limited market - press, sports, wildlife... that kind of thing. No one else needs, or wants it. If someone gave me one now, I'd sell it immediately.

A lot of the wildlife people on the Nikon side, at least that I know of, are dropping the D4(s) in favour of the D8x0 camera in the quest for quality. Whilst no expert, I actually have my FPS on CL which I set to 3fps, it's rare I need high.

So that market is certainly reducing.

Back