Nikon D810

Curiously, 5 months after launch, the best price on the D4S is still £5199 (according to camera price buster). Wonder why that hasn't dropped yet...<shrug>

You can get the D810 here for £1938 but its grey:- http://panamoz.com/index.php/nikon-d810-dslr-camera-body-only.html

If you don't want grey then I'm sure the this and other places will force the price down in the UK. By the way I'm not going to start a discussion on grey imports thats been done on here to death. I'm merely pointing this out for information.

Last edited:
You can get the D810 here for £1938 but its grey:- http://panamoz.com/index.php/nikon-d810-dslr-camera-body-only.html

If you don't want grey then I'm sure the this and other places will force the price down in the UK. By the way I'm not going to start a discussion on grey imports thats been done on here to death. I'm merely pointing this out for information.

wow that is seriously tempting. Be very interesting to see what the grey price drops to in weeks/months to come. Can you register imports with Nikon if your an NPS member?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the current position is I have always purchased cameras in the UK but with current trade in prices and the deprecation of camera values. It's really hard to know where the best value is these days.

No - Nikon UK won't touch a grey import.
The lenses have an international warranty so they should be okay. Gray cameras, I am pretty sure they will service but you're paying the bill.

NPU/NPS I don't know. The only foreign lens I have registered is a 18-55 which wouldn't qualify for my NPU anyway!

Nikon UK themselves wont touch a grey camera but some Nikon authorised dealers will, AJ Johnstone in Scotland deal with all warranty claims from Panamoz purchased cameras

No - Nikon UK won't touch a grey import.

Panamoz or Hdew offer their own 2 year warranty. As Chris says.. Nikon lenses have international warranties, so buying grey there is a genuine no risk venture.

To a point.

If you're NPS and have a problem you can secure a loaner if need be. You won't if your bodies are grey. So yes, those other warranties exist but be aware of the potential issues. A call for each person to make. I know several people who have had their arses saved by NPS loaners or fast repairs.

To a point.

If you're NPS and have a problem you can secure a loaner if need be. You won't if your bodies are grey. So yes, those other warranties exist but be aware of the potential issues. A call for each person to make. I know several people who have had their arses saved by NPS loaners or fast repairs.

NPS won't apply to the vast majority of those that read this thread. [edit] Point taken though.

Last edited:
NPS happily repaired my D800e, which I bought in Dubai, and turned it around in the usual 3 days. It's registered with them and have had no problems. Included proof of purchase with the item when I sent it in.

My understanding is that Nikon UK would carry out repairs (at cost), but not guarantee warranty issues etc. Did you have to pay for the repairs to the B800e

I'm fast becoming convinced that the savings to be found buying grey are significant enough to take a punt on warranties anyway. I've yet to have a Nikon body fail on me in 7 years (watch both my bodies die over the three weddings starting tomorrow now)

I'm fast becoming convinced that the savings to be found buying grey are significant enough to take a punt on warranties anyway. I've yet to have a Nikon body fail on me in 7 years (watch both my bodies die over the three weddings starting tomorrow now)
The only nikon kit I've had problems with was a 300 VRii. That is now a bit of a triggers broom but I do think you're right. For stuff outside of supertele photos (I can dream) I'm probably going to go grey for most kit in future where the price difference is enough.

My understanding is that Nikon UK would carry out repairs (at cost), but not guarantee warranty issues etc. Did you have to pay for the repairs to the B800e

Yes I'm concluding the same. The biggest factor to take into account is deprecation.

I got my D610 for £950 from Panamoz so I'm thinking that even with depreciation it'll still have more value (in real terms compared to what I paid) in a couple of years than a UK model, after all they will both be out of warranty then anyway.

D810 - £2700 in the uk, less that VAT that I can claim back, £2160. For me its a £200 saving with less money leaving the business (while the VAT is reclaimed at the end of the quarter). Certiainly worth considering, especially if Panamoz has stock while no one else does. I'm assuming that should there be import duty paid by Panamoz its not something that can be reclaimed.

Last edited:

Never had to pay for a warranty repair. I know the guys pretty well now and they know the deal with me living/working out of Dubai and UK.

Never had to pay for a warranty repair. I know the guys pretty well now and they know the deal with me living/working out of Dubai and UK.

Would they have taken a different stance if you weren't (semi) based in Dubai?

Maybe, and if I didn't have £15k worth of gear.

Christ what a lot of rubbish you have been going on about.

Now then I had been shooting with a D800 & D800E for weddings, dropped the D800 and its focus went again for the second time so I sold it, Bought the D810 earlier than I expected because of the D800 accident.

I shot a wedding last week and used the 810 for about 40% of the images as I had only owned it for a day, my conclusions for what they are worth

Shutter is very very quiet.
ISO up to 10,000 looks amazing, I did not need to go more than that in the church.
If you mess up the exposure at high ISO then its very blocky and detail is lost so you need to expose to the limit on the right.
Af is much improved never missed a shot once where as the D800E often does.
Not convinced about the sharpness its about the same as the D800, the D800E is better.
Video.... not used.
WB was spot on.
I shot in Jpg standard and had little to alter in Lr5
Battery life was much improved.

So there you have it, I did think of going to two D810 but after using it will keep the D800E as apart from the ISO to me there is no advantage in selling it.

Most of the church shots are D810 in this blog of the wedding BLOG

Wilky

Last edited:
Christ what a lot of rubbish you have been going on about.

Care to explain why?

If you mess up the exposure at high ISO then its very blocky and detail is lost so you need to expose to the limit on the right.

Stop shooting in JPEG then. It's "blocky" because of the lack of detail in the dark areas due to underexposure, and the very limited dynamic range at such a ISO... these areas will be more compressed by JPEG algorithms because that's how JPEG works: It tries to retain detail where there is detail, and compresses areas with no detail. Hence why ETTR solves it. A) That's your fault for not metering properly, and B) It wouldn't be evident if you shot RAW.

LOL@ The irony of your first comment.

Most of the church shots are D810 in this blog of the wedding BLOG

Not sure what low resolution JPEGs with no metadata is supposed to demonstrate. What am I looking for here? You say most are shot with a D810... so that means I've no idea if I'm looking a D800E shot, or a D810... and they're about 800 pixels across, so in reality, it could have been shot on a D80 and no one would ever know... so why bother showing them?

Oh... one more thing... you're shooting in JPEG so your images have had NR applied.

Last edited:
Pookeyhead do you live just to annoy people? I shot in Jpg for the simple reason that Lr5 where I do all my initial editing and batching has not yet supported the D810 RAW files, now if you were in the real world you would appreciate editing quite a few hundred images outside of lr5 is time consuming and yes I would think I know why its blocky and I don't know a single photographer who shoots fast moving weddings hitting the exposure right first time every time you condescending person. And idiot, I only posted the link to my blog to show how iso 10,000 images shot from the back of the church looked.
People like you are the reason reasonable people like me post very little in this forum all I was doing was relating my experiences with the D810 in a real life environment.

I see you do not have any outside website/blog? and very few images on the forum that look like set up workshop stuff makes me suspect you are just a simple armchair wannabe photographer

Put your thumb where the sun don't shine....
I'm out of this discussion.

Wilky

Last edited:
DP Review now have RAWs up for downloading.

Just processed them with nothing added... no sharpening, no NR, nothing. They're pretty much identical. Will post drop box links when upload finished.

Pookeyhead do you live just to annoy people? I shot in Jpg for the simple reason that Lr5 where I do all my initial editing and batching has not yet supported the D810 RAW files, now if you were in the real world you would appreciate editing quite a few hundred images outside of lr5 is time consuming and yes I would think I know why its blocky and I don't know a single photographer who shoots fast moving weddings hitting the exposure right first time every time you condescending person. And idiot, I only posted the link to my blog to show how iso 10,000 images shot from the back of the church looked.
People like you are the reason reasonable people like me post very little in this forum all I was doing was relating my experiences with the D810 in a real life environment.

I see you do not have any outside website/blog? and very few images on the forum that look like set up workshop stuff makes me suspect you are just a simple armchair wannabe photographer

Put your thumb where the sun don't shine....
I'm out of this discussion.

Wilky

I know why you are shooting JPEG. I just think making judgements based on JPEGs is a bit foolhardy. As stated above.. proper TIFF files coming in a minute.

Posting tiny JPEGs isn't really a great way of showing ISO performance though is it, especially as they've had NR applied. Posting up full res, unmolested files from a RAW with no NR or sharpening is the only real way to do that if anyone wants to make a decision on the camera's performance... which is what this "equipment" forum is about really isn't it?. If someone talking common sense means you no longer want to post in here, then it says more abut you than it does me I think. My post was neither rude, or intended to be any kind of personal comment.. it was just factual. You're the one calling me an idiot just because I pointed out some flaws in your argument, and let's be honest Martin.. opening with "Christ what a lot of rubbish you have been going on about." is hardly going to endear anyone to your opinions or make you look reasonable is it?

I have loads of images in this forum.. both in posts, and in the gallery. :thinking: Set up workshop stuff? There's a mix of Location and studio - personal and professional. What 'choo talkin' about Willis? :) Are you suggesting that studio photography requires less skill than wedding snapping or something? What an odd comment.

you are just a simple armchair wannabe photographer

Oh don't be silly. If you mean I've never shot a wedding.. then you're absolutely correct :)

Last edited:
not sure if its the heat or what, but you guys need to stop this - your making yourself look daft. This thread should be about the camera else people are going to stop posting on the forum.

Wilky - you can convert to DNG with Abobe's 8.6 RC DNG converter (which is free) and process in whichever software you choose, which is what I'm doing. I agree about the AF, I've only shot one wedding and a couple of engagement shoots with the D810 but it appears to be better than my D3s's, which is incredible.

Last edited:
You can download Nikon Capture NX-D for free from the Nikon Website. That will tide you over until there's an Adobe update if you can't be arsed converting to DNG.

Last edited:
D800E @ 12,800
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23953768/D800E ISO12800.tif

D810 @ 12,800
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23953768/D810 ISO 12800.tif

Not really any different.

The D810 seems to have less moiré and aliasing issues, but that's because the 810 has genuinely had all that crap removed whereas the 800E has a corrective system. Differences are incredibly minor if you ask me, and in real world use, would present no tangible difference in ISO performance.

I think its widely accepted that the IQ between the D800e and 810 is very similar.

I think its widely accepted that the IQ between the D800e and 810 is very similar.

Martin was suggesting it was amazing at high ISO. If meant it's as amazing as the D800/E then I agree, but there's certainly no improvement over the 800/E

Martin was suggesting it was amazing at high ISO. If meant it's as amazing as the D800/E then I agree, but there's certainly no improvement over the 800/E

I think in real world shooting if there is any improvement you wouldn't see it anyway, certainly not to the extent to warrant an upgrade. All this super high ISO at weddings makes me laugh, low light usually equals crap light, but its ok, just shoot ISO 32 million and convert to moody b&w!.

Thankfully, over here, they allow the use of flash for weddings in churches. Why would you ever need to go to 10K ISO??

The only time I've ever gone that high with the D800E was at a gig, I didn't need to, but had just got the camera and was testing it out. In the end I used one of the 10K ISO images to do up a 20" x 16" poster print for a friend [he's a big Y&T fan, done it up for his birthday] - and after a light processing in LR, you'd think the shot was taken at much lower sensitivity. Printed really well. But I'd still not like to be going that high for a wedding.

Last edited:
Nikon were suggesting a one stop improvement, which for many, would be a complete boon. It would certainly help me with wide field astro work.

Thankfully, over here, they allow the use of flash for weddings in churches. Why would you ever need to go to 10K ISO??

Exactly, iso 6400 and fast glass is all you need, even for the darkest of churches. Can't remember who said it but 'I shoot available light, I have a car boot full of lights and they are all available', obviously not for during the ceremony, but speeches and even prep sometimes.

Last edited:
I seriously cant be arsed with this s***e, buy a feckin camera and lens and go shoot FFS

Gary.. it's the equipment forum... where people discuss equipment.

I think in real world shooting if there is any improvement you wouldn't see it anyway, certainly not to the extent to warrant an upgrade. All this super high ISO at weddings makes me laugh, low light usually equals crap light, but its ok, just shoot ISO 32 million and convert to moody b&w!.

Why does it make you laugh?, getting a clean image in a dark church at iso10,000 with the D810 as apposed to an under exposed iso6400 from the D800e to me warrants an upgrade on that basis alone so yes you will see the one stop improvement.
Wilky

Discussion is fine, retching up banality every single time is b****x, im not meaning just you by the way David but you do play a massive part in dragging this whole forum to its knees with crap

Im out of here, this is just total w***

Not sure what you wanted in a discussion about the technical merits of a new camera in an equipment forum. :thinking:

As for me.... just block me if I bother you. Same advice to anyone else too. It takes 2 seconds and you'll not be hearing from me again. (shrug)

I'm sorry this thread doesn't meet your expectations. There are many others to choose from :)

Last edited:
Back