Nikon lens

Not a lens I know of but I notice it doesn't have vibration reduction (VR) -- Sigma have to use a different name and use the letters OS for this. On a long lens (ending at 200 to 300mm) this could be a problem when using it without a tripod as you'll likely have difficulty holding it steady enough.

See what others say...

An alternative for about the same money would be the Nikon 55-200VR. (note there is a non VR version) The VR lens has a very good reputation.

As these lenses cover a different range to the 18-55 you have, they would complement rather than replace your existing lens.

As above the Nikon 55-200 is an alternative, but if you want the extra reach of the 300 I'm sure it would be a pretty useful addition to (certainly not a replacement for) your 18-55

Aren't you looking at getting a D40? It doesn't look like the lens you posted the link to (well I couldn't see it in the description), has an internal motor so it will only manual focus on a D40 body. Make sure any lens you look at getting with auto-focus on the body.

My very first zoom lens on my D50 was a Sigma 70-300 without VR. I still have it as it's a good sharp lens for the money but, I never had any problem with the lack of VR.

It looks like the one on the Comet link is not the APO version. APO versions normally go for about £180 new and £80-110 secondhand.
The one on the Comet site can be had for less than that if you look around.

If using on Nikon without internal motor, make sure it is the motorised version of the Sigma.

Back