Nikon Nikkor 24mm f2.8 Ai MF

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Been looking to get a cheap little wide-angle for the odd landscape shot, (don't do much now with wildlife being my main interest), and have been looking at the Nikon Nikkor 24mm f2.8 Ai MF. Some reviews claim this as a sharp 'classic' quality lens, others aren't so complimentary ... anyone got one or had experience of one that could give some advice?

Maybe even you've got one to sell, though not trying to sidestep the classifieds - just let me know :)

Have owned a couple of these over the years (Ais versions but suspect they're the same). Have used them on a D700, D3 and D600. Really nice lens for landscape. I suspect negative reviews will labour on a couple of short comings, firstly they're soft in the corners wide open and secondly, like many older lenses, CA can be evident. Personally neither of these things ever bothered me because I rarely used them wide open, normally around f/8-f/11 and CA is sorted with a single click in Lightroom. When used like that, they make a lot of sense.

What I love about the 24mm (and indeed the 20mm and my favourite, the 28mm AIS 2.8) is that they're small and light enough to just chuck them in your bag on the off chance and yet they're beautifully built compared to most modern lenses. I have never deliberately set out to buy mint examples but the AIS primes that I've owned have all looked near new and are a joy to use. Testament to their good construction.

Well picked up a 24mm so will be able to try it out later in the week once it's arrived ... thanks all for the helpful comments :)

Lens arrived this morning and in pretty good condition.
I've set it up on the camera as a 'non-cpu' ... I haven't used an Ai lens before, so any tips on camera settings etc to get the best from it?

Not a lot more to it than what you've already done. Focus confirm dot is useful as are hyperfocal charts/apps (as they are for AF lenses too in fact). Otherwise, fire away and enjoy.

Back