Nikon or Canon?

Nikon or Canon? Depends what your friends have - when you have a question or a problem it's nice to have an expert in that camera system help you.

Yeah, I went with Nikon - mostly because a mate at work had Nikon stuff...He didnt really talk me into it - gave me the same advise as on here - both are good - try some in the store etc...
I used Nikon for a few years and all was fine.

But I sold all my Nikon stuff a few years ago and went Micro Four thirds as I got sick of lumping a rucksack around all the time....

Last edited:
years ago I used to be a Minolta user and really rated their film slrs - they gave a lot of technology and features for your money that other big manufacturers skimp on for "marketing" reasons and product "differentiation". Canon always gets on my moobs for holding back, though they are better these days. I still see the Minolta traditions and values in the Sony gear - so definitely an interesting proposition. I switched from Minolta film cameras to Canon for a brief period then went back to Minolta as I didn't like the cheap Canon body at all (not that cheap - was an EOS500N IIRC). I stuck with Minolta, vainly hoping they'd release a DSLR, but they took so long about it, with their Konica Minolta phase, then by the time they were bought by Sony and started with credible DSLRs, the Canon 10D was out. Since then I've gone 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D and now 5D3. I really rate the Canon's now, but think some of the entry level Canon's are triumphs in cheapness. But they've upped their game in some of the later entry models I feel. So I've stuck with Canon because of my investment in glass, and Canon make some very nice L lenses. 'Nikon make some really good gear too and it's hard not to have envy of the other side, whichever side you end up on. I've occasionally thought about switching, but once I cost up the lenses I'd need to get the same as I have now, I'm rapidly put off changing again. So I'd say look at what lenses you want in either system and make sure they have them. Then consider what aspirational lenses you might like to get, one day. Price up the systems and see if there is a compelling advantage either way for you. If not, you'll not go wrong with either, but consider lenses first. In fact I'd prioritise your spend towards lenses, even if that means you compromise on the DSLR body you get. You can change bodies with one upgrade, but upgrading a system set of lenses to the next level is an expensive game.

to be honest, if i was to choose today between Nikon and Canon, I would probably end up going down Canon route as Canon offers such a great range of lens in F2.8 IS and Non-IS and F4 IS and Non-IS all L-grade glass.

almost considered selling off my entire nikon stuff and go canon but I think I won't like the ergonomics or the arrangement of buttons etc.

Nikon should really follow Canon's suit in their product lines.

Thing is Nikon do too and at a much more reasonable price - classic case look at the 200-400 f4.

Back