Nikon Teleconvertor question - Is there one for the AF-S 70-300mm and AF-D 80-200mm?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Not having much luck in finding a reliable source of info on Nikon TCs, so ...

Can anyone tell me if there's a (1.5x/1.7x) TC that will give full functionality on a D700 with the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR lens and/or the AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8, please :shrug:?

I believe that the current TC17E won't work at all with either (or so says Uncle Ken, anyway ;)), so that's out :|.

Thanks in advance for any input (y).

It won't work on an 80-200 AF-D and I doubt it would be worth putting on a 70-300 VR even if it did fit,the iq would be awful.....

It won't work on an 80-200 AF-D and I doubt it would be worth putting on a 70-300 VR even if it did fit,the iq would be awful.....

Thanks, Graham :). I was actually re-writing my question when you posted, but I think that your answer still fits the new question ;).

Using a TC with the 70-300 was really just an interim measure to get a bit more use out of that lens, whilst saving up for something a bit more capable. If there isn't a TC which will also work on a subsequent (better lens) purchase, then I certainly won't bother getting one now.

I'm still wondering if there's a TC for the AF-D 80-200mm though, as I like the price of this lens, but want more than 300mm and not less, so I might have to skip this lens in favour of the 70-200mm and a TC17E :shrug:. Just trying to plan ahead here ;).

P.S. I'm not sure why FITP, but I thought that your name was Stan :thinking: and I know I've referred to you by that name in other threads. So, now I've spotted my mistake and will try to show a bit more respect and get your name right in future :bonk:. Sorry ;)!

Well, Our Ken knows his Nikons, but pretty sure Kenko Pro 1.4x will fit - the front element is recessed (not protruding) so it fits a lot more lenses than the Nikon/Canon/Sigma TCs.

If you present it with a high quality image of a longer focal length, it might be okay. Certainly worth a try, especially as you will retain AF on the D700 even at f/8 (won't you?). Always a compromise, but for £120 it's maybe worth slipping in you bag?

I have a Kenko Pro 1.4x and although I never use it now, when coupled to a 70-200 4 L IS zoom, it's very hard to tell the images apart from a bare 100-400L. But then that 70-200 is mega sharp to begin with :)

Well, Our Ken knows his Nikons, but pretty sure Kenko Pro 1.4x will fit - the front element is recessed (not protruding) so it fits a lot more lenses than the Nikon/Canon/Sigma TCs.

If you present it with a high quality image of a longer focal length, it might be okay. Certainly worth a try, especially as you will retain AF on the D700 even at f/8 (won't you?). Always a compromise, but for £120 it's maybe worth slipping in you bag?

I have a Kenko Pro 1.4x and although I never use it now, when coupled to a 70-200 4 L IS zoom, it's very hard to tell the images apart from a bare 100-400L. But then that 70-200 is mega sharp to begin with :)

Now that's not a bad idea, HoppyUK :) - I really hadn't thought about the Kenko option (yet) :naughty:.

They only do a 1.4x and not a 1.7x, but I suppose that's still worth paying for :thinking:. If I decided that I'm going to look for a used 80-200mm, then I might just get one. Otherwise, it's the long and expensive route to the 70-200 VR and TC17E for me ;).

Thanks (y)!

Thanks, Graham :). I was actually re-writing my question when you posted, but I think that your answer still fits the new question ;).

Using a TC with the 70-300 was really just an interim measure to get a bit more use out of that lens, whilst saving up for something a bit more capable. If there isn't a TC which will also work on a subsequent (better lens) purchase, then I certainly won't bother getting one now.

I'm still wondering if there's a TC for the AF-D 80-200mm though, as I like the price of this lens, but want more than 300mm and not less, so I might have to skip this lens in favour of the 70-200mm and a TC17E :shrug:. Just trying to plan ahead here ;).
The Kenko Pro works on the 80-200 (that's the combo I had), but to me it never really felt securely mounted, not the way the likes of the 70-200 feels on the proper Nikon TCs. I don't think the 1.7 gets a great write-up though, the 1.4x seems to be more favoured, although I didn't like either that or the Kenko one and sold both....

P.S. I'm not sure why FITP, but I thought that your name was Stan :thinking: and I know I've referred to you by that name in other threads. So, now I've spotted my mistake and will try to show a bit more respect and get your name right in future :bonk:. Sorry ;)!

Doesn't bother me, I've been called worse :LOL: I was beginning to think my name was Stan, too though (he said, looking accusingly towards a certain mod :LOL:)

The Kenko Pro works on the 80-200 (that's the combo I had), but to me it never really felt securely mounted, not the way the likes of the 70-200 feels on the proper Nikon TCs. I don't think the 1.7 gets a great write-up though, the 1.4x seems to be more favoured, although I didn't like either that or the Kenko one and sold both....

What was it that you didn't like :shrug:? IQ or some functionality issues?

I really want to have a lens that's capable of a bit of low light wildlife photography, but aren't serious enough to go the whole hog and spend thousands on any of the big primes :(. 300mm was really my target focal length and so a TC of some kind would be needed on whichever 200mm lens I end up with.

Why is it so hard to find superb quality, affordable lenses that do what I want them to :crying:!?

:p

What was it that you didn't like :shrug:? IQ or some functionality issues?

I really want to have a lens that's capable of a bit of low light wildlife photography, but aren't serious enough to go the whole hog and spend thousands on any of the big primes :(. 300mm was really my target focal length and so a TC of some kind would be needed on whichever 200mm lens I end up with.

Why is it so hard to find superb quality, affordable lenses that do what I want them to :crying:!?

:p

With the Kenko I didn't like either the fit or the iq, and with the Nikon it was just the iq, but I know others are more than happy with both, so :shrug:

With the Kenko I didn't like either the fit or the iq, and with the Nikon it was just the iq, but I know others are more than happy with both, so :shrug:

Hmm :thinking:, well it can't be any worse than my 70-300 at 300mm :D - that really isn't a pretty sight (even when it does manage to focus).

Just waiting to see how the new 70-200 VRII will affect used prices, before I make any firm decision about 80-200 vs. 70-200, but I've already seen a bit of a downward trend on eBay and the new one was only announced a week ago ;). Guess I'll have to leave the TC issue until I know which way that decision is going to go :shrug:.

Anway, thanks to my fellow night owls :D for posting these helpful responses. Not that anyone will really care (;)), but this is my last ever night shift before I start a new (9-5) job, so I'll be able to post along with the masses soon :p!

Naboo32, I'm a newbie, but your question seems based on a similar set of desires to those related here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=156558
I've got the 80-200 but would really like to get 300mm or a little more if possible. If I can manage it, I'll hang on to the 80-200 though - it is very nice. I don't suppose you've thought or tried the 80-400mm or are there negative experiences of that one I've not uncovered?

Anyway, hello and welcome to the land of the day walkers .... One of my best friends returned to day shift after more than ten years on nights. He is just about getting over the shock ....:D

Naboo32, I'm a newbie, but your question seems based on a similar set of desires to those related here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=156558
I've got the 80-200 but would really like to get 300mm or a little more if possible. If I can manage it, I'll hang on to the 80-200 though - it is very nice. I don't suppose you've thought or tried the 80-400mm or are there negative experiences of that one I've not uncovered?

Anyway, hello and welcome to the land of the day walkers .... One of my best friends returned to day shift after more than ten years on nights. He is just about getting over the shock ....:D

Hi SS!

As you can see, I'm still awake - the only reason being, that I'm expecting DHL to bring me a new lens (35mm f/1.8 DX prime) in the next two hours :naughty: (why else would any sane togger go without sleep for so long :D ?).

The 80-400mm is not a lens that inspires confidence in me, I'm very sorry to say :(. I think that the main reason that I have trouble getting my 70-300mm to behave as I'd like to, is that I mostly use it in a nearby forest where it's usually not all that bright. I suspect that the smallish aperture (around f/5.6 wide open) isn't big enough to let in enough light to let the AF do it's job properly. The continuous AF mode and in particular the "Dynamic 3D Tracking" mode on my D700 just will not work, ever, with this lens on :(. At least, not in the forest environment where I've tried to use it (could be all the trees confusing it, I suppose :shrug:).

As the 80-400mm has similar max aperture values, I reckon that (in my case) it would just produce bigger OOF images, which considering that all such images end up in my recycle bin, would be a bit of a waste of money :p!

As I said, I'm sure that I'm largely to blame for the fact that I can't get consistently good images from this lens (although when it's in focus, it's as sharp as any of my other lenses), but I'm sure that a larger max aperture would solve most of my problems :naughty:.

Still, these are just the ramblings of a sleep-deprived, amateur, so don't put too much stock into what I say ;). That said, if you want to accept my 70-300mm in part-ex for your 80-200mm, I'm only a PM away :D!

Nice try about the swap .. maybe if you let me stay at yours if I head through Germany on a bike tour I'll let you borrow it for a trial ... would seem an (almost) balanced trade. :p

Back