Nikon vs Tamron 70-200

Name
Marco
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

Looking to get new glass in the future and looking at the 70-200mm 2.8, is there anyone here who has experienced with both the nikon and tamron version? Not sure which one to go for? Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

I have had the sigma o.s, the nikon 80-200, nikon 70-200 vr1 and the vr2.

I now have the Tamron vc it's nearly as good as the vr2 in every way the vc may even be slightly better than the vr on the nikon. The vr2 is slightly sharper wide open between 180-200mm though. The Tamron is much better than the others.

Last edited:
So your vote is the tamron then? Have you got any sample pics? :)

the new sigma 70200 should be the best when its released, but no idea when that will be

but yeah tamron is best value by far, unless you need a robust tank like build

older tamron is good opticaly but woeful af speed

I used to have the older Tamron 70-200mm which had poor focus but not bad sharpness, changed it over for the Nikon 70-200mm VR2 and never looked back, the Nikon will be the best 70-200mm out there to get, and in my case needing to use converters alot the Nikon version works amazing well with them, not sure if the Tamron can take any other than the Kenko? So if you want the best get the Nikon 70-200mm in my opinion...

my opinion is if you buy the tamron you will like it no doubt but your hands will always itching for the nikon version ......

third party lens will have issues with tele converters on the current generation of nikon bodies. latest Nikon TCs won't fit these lenses. and the old ones are horrible and there will be massive loss of IQ. third party TC won't af or meter with the new bodies. that is a major factor for me to consider when choosing lens.

I would like the Tamron 70-200 VC as it has similar sharpness and IQ to Nikon and I have had Tamron's VC lens previously and I know it is at least 1 stop better than Nikons. thus Tamron would have an edge over Nikon. however the Quality Control issue on tamron manufacturing is another consideration. So you may want to source it new from UK as you need to be prepared for a lengthy warranty process with Tamron and the retailer in order to get one that is build "properly" - the golden copy. But bear that in mind, when you come to sell it, people may not be convinced that you have the "Golden Copy" as everyone's perspective and expectation of a good lens varies.

Last edited:
Back