Nikon Z* mirrorless

Following on from a recent trip to the Scottish Highlands I've realised I need a few additional lenses and I'm pondering a switch from my Sony A7R IV to a Z8. Currently have the 24-70GM (excellent, but a bit of a lump) and really want something longer but the options are fairly heavy. My thinking is a Z8 with either the 24-70 f4 or 24-120 f4 and the F mount 70-300 would give me all I need.

I also have an x100vi on order and have been tempted by the Zf instead which has initiated the fixation with Nikon.

Has anyone made a similar switch and talk me in/out of it?

Following on from a recent trip to the Scottish Highlands I've realised I need a few additional lenses and I'm pondering a switch from my Sony A7R IV to a Z8. Currently have the 24-70GM (excellent, but a bit of a lump) and really want something longer but the options are fairly heavy. My thinking is a Z8 with either the 24-70 f4 or 24-120 f4 and the F mount 70-300 would give me all I need.

I also have an x100vi on order and have been tempted by the Zf instead which has initiated the fixation with Nikon.

Has anyone made a similar switch and talk me in/out of it?
The 24-200 is a very good lens, as long as you don't mind the variable aperture. The 24-70 f4 is a super lens. The 24-120 is quite a bit heavier than the 24-200, and some say is no better for IQ.

Not Banksy

But - HENDOG - "Lego Boy" by HENDOG

Zf - 40mm SE - @f8

TP_Lego_Boy.jpg

another shot from Winchester, this morning - 8 degrees and overcast
again @f8 - Zf 40mm

TP_The_Old_Vine.jpg

OOC a really dark image, which is what I went for,(B&W) - but LR has/can "recovered/recover" all the shadow detail which the Zf captures

I then processed this image as Adobe vivid

TP_Book_Shop_Colour.jpg

Last edited:
B & W switch in camera - Zf

It looks to me that even if you use the B&W switch on the camera - the camera takes the full colour image, as when I download them to LR - the images first appear B&W as small thumb nails, but when they are imported and looked at singularly as a full images they appear as colour images
(is this correct?)

B & W switch in camera - Zf

It looks to me that even if you use the B&W switch on the camera - the camera takes the full colour image, as when I download them to LR - the images first appear B&W as small thumb nails, but when they are imported and looked at singularly as a full images they appear as colour images
(is this correct?)
Yes, the b&w image is only saved as a jpeg. If you have your camera set to save ONLY RAW files then you will not see the intended mono version. You would have to apply the appropriate mono profile in post. I have mine set to record RAW plus Jpeg - in my case RAW to the SD card and Jpegs to the micro-SD.

The 24-200 is a very good lens, as long as you don't mind the variable aperture. The 24-70 f4 is a super lens. The 24-120 is quite a bit heavier than the 24-200, and some say is no better for IQ.
The 24-120 I have is sharper across the frame than either the 24-70 I had or the 24-200 I also have on my Z7ii. The 24-200 I’ve found to be the weakest of the 3, but definitely the most versatile.

The 24-120 I have is sharper across the frame than either the 24-70 I had or the 24-200 I also have on my Z7ii. The 24-200 I’ve found to be the weakest of the 3, but definitely the most versatile.
I’ve never personally used the 24-120, just going off reviews by users such as Nigel Danson, so your experience may well be correct. I’ve not found the 24-200 lacking, but I haven’t had the other to compare it against. But certainly the 24-70 f4 is superb but lacking in reach, if that’s what you need.

The 24-120 is a bit reason I want to move. The 24-105 on Sony leaves me cold for some reason.

This may be of interest to a few ZF owners. I decided against the SmallRig grip and went instead for the Nikon ZF-GR1 grip, only sold in Japan. The reason being is I personally preferred the aesthetics and more importantly, the thumb grip on the rear, which I've become accustomed to over the years. I also installed the Gariz soft release button which had to be ordered directly from Australia. Very happy with both! My wallet less so..

ZF-ACC.jpg

This is the little Gariz button:

GARIZ.jpg

Last edited:
I have all three of the 24-xx zooms, the 24-70 is normally on the Z6ii and the 24-120 lives on the Z7ii. I bought the 24-200 in 2023 for a big trip to Japan this year so I only need to take one zoom lens, but I’ve used it sporadically and it’s pretty good. Image quality is not in the same league as the F4’s if you pixel peep but it’s good enough, it’s smaller and light than the 24-120 and its zoom range make it a useful lens. Yes, it’s not a fast lens, but I’ll probably pick up a prime to take for any low light stuff, or just ramp up the ISO and denoise the photos when I get home.

which make of adapters are you guys using to connect MF lenses to the Zf - K & F Concept??

the Chinese ones on eBay that look the same are just over half the price of the K & F shipped from China - £20 versus £37 for the Z to M

I suppose that they are all made in China

Last edited:
which make of adapters are you guys using to connect MF lenses to the Zf - K & F Concept??

the Chinese ones on eBay that look the same are just over half the price of the K & F shipped from China - £20 versus £37 for the Z to M

K&F. Better quality control and tolerances than the non-branded ones, IME.

Just seen the price of them !!!

Yep, they're not cheap. I purchased this one:

The price included Fedex shipping, which took 5 days to arrive and it didn't get taxed on importation, so that was the total price paid.

Yep, they're not cheap. I purchased this one:

The price included Fedex shipping, which took 5 days to arrive and it didn't get taxed on importation, so that was the total price paid.
Better than the Amazon US price. But I'll stick with my Neewer. Especially since I put a small strip of non-slip tape down the finger-tip side. Sort of like coarse emery cloth.

I bought the Voigtlander close focus adapter. Not cheap though. Super quality.

Took this not long after I had bought the Zf, with the 24-200 at 24mm. f5.6. Uncropped. I'm impressed at the detail saying that it's at the lens's "worst" end.

Abandoned by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
Has anyone successfully used an FTZ plus a teleconverter on an AF-S lens? I've read it can be done would like to hear from anyone that has and which TC you used. I'm interested in trying out the combo on a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR.
Yes, a TC-14E III on the 105 macro, 300 and 500 PF lenses. Works really well with all of them

Back