No IDea (again)

It does look like a Rock Pipit. On the coast? Why do you think the habitat don't fit?

It does look like a Rock Pipit. On the coast? Why do you think the habitat don't fit?

What made me doubt was that the book says Rock Pipits are 'Resident on British coasts ...' but also says 'They nest on rocky ground ... often hop, jump and walk amongst boulders'.
Although East Head is a sand and shingle spit there is little evidence of the shingle and there are certainly no rocks and boulders, it is all dunes and swamp and sand beach.
However, I'm now sure it is a rock pipit. I'm going back on Tuesday when there will be fewer people and dogs about to try again for a sharper image.
Thanks very much for your reply.

We have a fair population of Rock Pipits up here on the coast. I frequently see them on grass, concrete, rocks, sand, shingle, moored boats, dirt tracks, roads etc etc. I'm pretty sure yours is a Rock pipit. I'm looking on a small screen but I'll stick my neck out and say in all the circumstances it is a rockie.

We have a fair population of Rock Pipits up here on the coast. I frequently see them on grass, concrete, rocks, sand, shingle, moored boats, dirt tracks, roads etc etc. I'm pretty sure yours is a Rock pipit. I'm looking on a small screen but I'll stick my neck out and say in all the circumstances it is a rockie.
I've now looked at on my 27" PC monitor and although hard to tell it seems to have light coloured legs (a bit more obvious in the first shot). Rock Pipits have dark legs. That said I've seen plenty Meadows very close to the shore as well. So, taking that into consideration now I'd perhaps lean towards Meadow as well.

Rock Pipit. A Meadow Pipit's streaking along the flank would be a lot more defined and it would be clean below the breast. I've seen plenty of Rock Pipts with light coloured legs plus the bright light on the bird is making the legs look lighter in colour.

Back