Noisy 100-400?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Ive just bought a 100-400 (not brand new)

and a lot of the photos seem to be coming out noisy (im not referring to the sensor dust). I have only used it at ISO100 and used it for motorsports, so shooting under 1/200 and using around F10-F13

I have just taken some photos of a helicopter, and it has come out noisy again

Anyone any ideas?

Flickr Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9436311@N02/3746029745/sizes/l/

gonna need the picture , make sure it is of a decent size or linkable to larger somewhere like flickr :)

and as 800 is the max size .......... :)

sensor dust as well for me , of course assuming that the rear element is clean , is it OP ? :)

Yeah, i know about the ditrty sensor and the dust marks, lol. but i thought that the helo itself looked noisy?

The lens is all clean, just been doing it now, so ill get the sensor done

Yeah, i know about the ditrty sensor and the dust marks, lol. but i thought that the helo itself looked noisy?

The lens is all clean, just been doing it now, so ill get the sensor done

I just zoomed in to 500% and the helicopter looks fine on my screen even at that silly zoom level. Maybe a teeny weeny bit of motion blur and half a stop under exposed, but nothing more. Just a quick one, what sort of screen are you viewing on? I ask because my old laptop used to make even the most noise free of pictures look noisy, used to drive me nuts :nuts:

Yep, looks fine from here! A bit underexposed, I'd guess because of all that white space, but otherwise fine! But the sensor is filthy, you should be ashamed of yourself! :D

Chris

It's worth adding that the 100-400 is not the most tolerant of filters and some strange effects can be had. Have you got a filter on it?...and if so, what sort.

Bob

hey viper, to me it does look a little noisey for 100, but im comparing it to a 30d, im not sure what the 20d is like in comparison.

but im 99% sure it cant be the lens, mabe its jsut more visible at 400mm etc, due to the amount of crap in the air its looking through.

Bob, its got a Kenlock UV filter on it.

I'd give it a good workout without the filter, as stated earlier, the 100-400 is very intolerant of some filters and sticking a £4.50 filter on your £1000 lens is not doing it any favours at all. You should be looking at a Hoya Pro 1D, B&W, or something similar.

Bob

Long lenses show sensor dust even at moderate apertures because they have a lot of depth of focus (not field).

Back