Nomada Bee (my first one!! wooo :D )

Edit My Images
No
Have NEVER seen these little guys in the garden but a stroll down to Hale Lighthouse today surprised me. A bunch of these guys were gorging themselves on dandelions and were feeling rather lazy despite the afternoon sun.

IMG2484-L.jpg

IMG2488-L.jpg

IMG2490-L.jpg

IMG2496-L.jpg

IMG2495-L.jpg

IMG2493-L.jpg

Great set Ian(y) I've never seen these, what an incredible eye!

Cheers Rhod, I've often seen them posted by others on dgrin.com and just never seen one myself. I noticed these little guys today and thought they were a different species of hover at first. I was rather excited when I got one framed up and in focus and noticed the eye detail :D

Hehe, ya know mate, you'll probably find loads now. They're about 10mm in length, very bright and very placid. As you can see they're very happy to climb up on your finger :)

phaa your brave putting it on your finger none of the bees round here would let you do that aha

well caught got some great details and a lovely model

Thanks Hayley :).

Nomadas do have a sting but they're particularly placid and I believe the sting is far too small to be capable of penetrating skin which I suppose is quite fortunate L;)

Very nice set Ian (y) Very wasp like for a bee is'nt nature wonderful !!

Cheers Ian, yes they are very wasp like :)

Can't wait to photograph more of these as soon as my newly ordered Canon 100L arrives :)

Never seen one of these either, the detail in the eye is incredible.

What a great job you've done with these Ian. (y)

Never seen one of these either, the detail in the eye is incredible.

What a great job you've done with these Ian. (y)

Hehe, perhaps I've started a crusade to find Nomada Bees :D

Cheers Graham :)

#4 is a cracker. What a super looking insect! Dying to get out for some macro this year, but no time so far. :(

hehe, that eye is a cracker isn't it :)

Thanks again all :D

Very nice Ian. They are placid little bees aren't they. I love the way they sleep by handing on with there jaws. That would be the only worry about handling them with cold hands!

Not meaning to hijack - but here's one I found recently...

MG_8394-.jpg

Last edited:
No problem Chris :).

They are very placid indeed. I think sometimes when going to handle, it's a case of put your finger nearby and see what they do. If they move away, don't push it but many will happily climb on for a bit of extra warmth :)

Always nice to encounter something new, even better to get a photo. excellent set, if it ever stops raining im off to see if i can find one. :)

Thanks again :). Yup, reckon a few will be searching for these now hehe. They're very vibrant on their abdomens and relatively lethargic if feasting :)

No probs. re the ID :).. hehe, normally it's me learning ID's so nice to be the sharer of knowledge :D.

Thanks again all :).

Have my new 100L so hoping for the rain to go away and for an opportunity to get back down and photograph them again if they're still there.

those eyes are amazing !!!

great pics and pretty little insect

Thanks Adam, Chris :)

Wow, fantastic set :clap:

Ive never seen one of these before ... the eyes are fantastic, will certainly BEE keeping an EYE out for these (y)

Sorry about the pun's :LOL:

Back