Norfolk

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning on getting away for a week in September (just me and the wife) and have been looking for interesting places that I can enjoy with my camera and the wife will be happy as we are close to the coast.

I came across this in Norfolk:
https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/wildlife-in-norfolk/nature-reserves/reserves

Looks like plenty for me to do and the wife is always happy on a walk.

Anyone from the area / visited any of the sites that can let me know if it is a good plan :)

Thanks

Dave.

I might bump into you! We are off to Norfolk in September also and we are counting down the days. Not sure about any of the sites on the link you have provided but I can say Snettisham has the most amazing sunsets. Also huge flocks of birds coming down to roost over the flats. There's a beautiful array of beach huts at wells next the sea. An interesting marina at brancaster staithes. Loads to photograph, amazing places to eat and really friendly people. I hope you both have a great time.( I know we will!) Cheers pete

Thanks Pete - hoping to see some wildlife on some of the reserves. The only problem seems to be that there are lots of nature reserves and so little time. I am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a couple that are worth visiting :)

Currently planning on going from 6th Sept for a week. Not sure my large lens is really suitable for sunsets ;)

Dave.

Not a comprehensive review as I've only been once, and from a purely (wildlife) photography perspective:

Snettisham
Well worth doing for the 'wader spectacular', when high tide pushes the birds off the mudflats. RSPB timetable for 2014-15.

The good news is that September has a decent number of occurrences during daylight. When I went I had to start the walk from the car-park in the pitch black, yet there was a decent crowd building. After the birds have taken off, a lot of them congregate next to RSPB's lagoon; I believe this is where a lot of the 'Snettisham flock' photos are actually taken from (rather than the mudflats themselves, which are too far away). Unfortunately the winter storm trashed the public hide and I don't know the status of repair.

Titchwell
Another big reserve. The west side path to the beach offers a chance to get Bearded Tits (a decent length of reeds that edge up right to the path). The vantage points for the lagoons suffer from the common problem of being far too high, but the freedom to walk alongside does mean there is some opportunity to find decent compositions. The beach offers a chance to get covered in wet sand for low-angle wader photos.

Salthouse to Blakeney Point

A long area where salt marshes meet the beach. Runs from Salthouse in the east to the remote Blakeney Point in the west. Potential for success with waders, flocks of geese or marsh harriers. (disclaimer: the big winter storm had a large effect of the local geography. I don't know how it has changed and recovered since I was there)

Cley Marshes sits in the middle is a well-known nature reserve. You're meant to buy a ticket to enter the formal Cley reserve area and hides. I didn't bother with that* and instead worked the edge where salt marsh met the shingle. Keep an eye out for marsh harriers doing close flybys, especially when you're using one of the paths than leads from the beach to the coastal road.

* I made my financial contribution by being a patron of the cafe and bookshop.

The long hike out to Blakeney Point is no trivial undertaking! Potential to stalk waders and what not in the process. The tip is a seal and tern breeding area, check it's not the season when it's partially closed off (see my thread today for what not to do. Think it's all open by Sept).

Flickr Plug

I've still not properly finished going through my photos from the trip, but the stuff I have uploaded to Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/myphotograph/sets/72157637064953764/

Thanks for all the info Paul - really useful. That flocking photo is amazing :)

I will go through the locations you mentioned at work tomorrow (easier on my computer than my little tablet)

Dave.

I'd love to go to Norfolk on holiday somewhere too. Does anyone know any really good areas for wading birds (like sanderling and dunlin etc) photography?
I'd specifically like to spend the whole time on a good beach where they're really approachable if i can! :ty:

I'd love to go to Norfolk on holiday somewhere too. Does anyone know any really good areas for wading birds (like sanderling and dunlin etc) photography?
I'd specifically like to spend the whole time on a good beach where they're really approachable if i can! :ty:

Titchwell marsh is a good place for them. You can get quite close if you let them come to you especially if the tide is right. I had a juvenile gull follow me about 200m along the beach, annoyingly within minimum focus most of the time.

Strumpshaw Fen is one of my favourites :) It's not far from Thorpe Marshes. There are quite a few places to go around the Strumpshaw area.

I am just a beginner though so I don't get any decent shots haha. Even still, they are both nice places to go :)

I will be about 30 mins from Strumpshaw - so will hopefully get there on one of the days. I have a list of places and details of species, coordinates etc. I am making sure I do my homework :)

RSPB Surlingham Church Marsh is also a nice reserve but doesn't have picnic facilities and toilets.

It's about 5 miles from Strumpshaw.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Thanks Mark - will take a look online but the wife does like her home comforts (toilet) ;)

I may venture out early on my own on a few of the days though. Really like to be out and about when the sun comes up when I am after wildlife. Looks like lots of the wildlife places are open dawn to dusk but local RSPB places are normally much later opening. So probably same with those in Norfolk.

Last edited:
I take it your into the wildlife side of photography, If you have a smaller lens (kit) then why not try the local villages, there is some fantastic ones about that are bursting with olde times buildings, "Great Snoring" for one is really pretty.
Enjoy your time in Norfolk, it really is a very nice place.

Wildlife is what floats my boat Graham, but I have a 28mm lens in the bag (closer to 45mm on my 70D)

Taking it with me just in case. The wife is partial to quaint villages :)

Dave.
North Norfolk is very pretty.

Back