Critique North Shields Fish Quay

Nice composition.

Looks like you have shot this with a 30s exposure @ f/16. when photographing an image that contains boats which are constantly moving a shorter shutter speed will give you less motion blur. You could have probably reduced the aperture to f/8 and and raised the iso to say 200 and got the shutter speed down to 3 or 4 seconds. Obviously you are not going to get smooth water at the shutter speed though.

You could also have taken it a bit earlier in the evening which would have given you a bit more light in the sky and a even higher shutter speed.

Last edited:
I would agree with the above and also say that a larger aperture would reduce the 'starburst' effect the small aperture has on the lights. I find it a little distracting here.

It's just a matter of fine tuning, you have the subject and composition which is often the most difficult bit.

A familiar sight there. Lots to like about this shot especially if this your first stab at shooting in the dark. I think the composition in particular is very good. You've got the exposure near bang on. If anything it maybe could do with reducing just a touch but since most (including myself) would have a tendency to underexpose this sort of shot when starting out and hence lose a lot of shadow detail, I have to say top marks on that one.

Would agree with Cartus about the starbursts. I love a good starburst but these ones are too prominent for my taste. I think that the bright lights have probably also killed a little contrast in the image leading to a slight haziness to the shot, could possibly dial a little back in. Not really got any other advice as it's all been covered but have to say that is a great first attempt at this stuff.

Last edited:
I have had another look at this and I also think you have a bit of condensation on the lens. Its common mistake particularly when photographing near water at night. It's a good idea to keep your lens cap on as much as possible and check for condensation before taking the shot. Use of a lens hood can reduce the problem a bit.

Back