Northern Macro Meet (Post Photo's Here)

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a few of the photo's from Sunday's 23/05 Macro meet in Lancaster at the Butterfly house.

Hope you like them. Planning the next Northern TP meet now and hope you can come along, we don't bite "honest" and anyone is welcome no matter what their ability,

I'm a testament to that rule :LOL:

The Photo's...

9-14 are Ess's I have been shown the red card and had to give her credit for these photos :(

Last edited:
The Place #1

The Butterfly House #2

Last edited:
I wish I could have come :(

I was actually in birmingham at an invertebrate show today buying various scorpions :D

#11 Simon getting down and dirty :)

Last edited:
WOWSA... some excellent stuff there John... (y)

Some really good work there imhgo... :D

I love butterflies... ;)

:p

I wish I could have come :(

I was actually in birmingham at an invertebrate show today buying various scorpions :D

Sorry you couldn't make it matey. We did mention your name a few times ;) Only good things though :LOL:

Thanks Matey

I lost my d300 shortly after arriving to Ess and had to share Jadey's D70s. It was as said a great day and was more about the event than the shots for me. Although the pics are mixed up between the three of us I did agree before the day any good ones will be mine of course :shrug:

WOWSA... some excellent stuff there John... (y)

Some really good work there imhgo... :D

I love butterflies... ;)

:p

Sorry you couldn't make it matey. We did mention your name a few times ;) Only good things though :LOL:

Yeh, another time perhaps :( We need a down south macro meet :p And ooh... I thought my ears were burning! :LOL: :D

Just seen the pics, some nice stuff!

Yes Ess soon grabbed the D300 and went off on her own happily taking shots left right and centre. AND THEN had the cheek to say her photo's were better than mine?!?!

There was I walking around with a D70s and feeling the difference not having to carry a big brick round with me all day :) I guess if Ess wants the D300 so badly I should have a look at a D700 to replace it :LOL:

Ah go on then....

Nice pics John. (y)

Here's a few of mine:

4632127172_96883f9db9_o.jpg

4631686629_b40139c108_o.jpg

4631686141_b7d98ac9ac_o.jpg

4632256938_5df0547fbf_o.jpg

4632187874_e3ceab7f47_o.jpg

4631573013_1a60ee8731_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, some fantastic macro shots. Number 10 and 13 are my favourite.

Thanks for commenting. I fear my camera is lost forever now ;)

grum.It just shows how capable the G1 is matey. Excellent captures (y)

Last edited:
I have tried to embed the images in the thread but I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help please.
Mick

Here you go Mick

DSC3710.jpg

DSC3685.jpg

DSC3673.jpg

DSC3608.jpg

The image addresses seem to be abbreviated for some reason - I clicked on the links then right clicked on the image and got the address from there with the full link.

Last edited:
Agreed to no#1 Mick some great photo's and I can't wait for another meet too (y)

Thanks graham/John,
I need more practise on macros especially on moving things the only previous macros that I have done have been still life types of subjects.

Getting the depth of field right is quite tricky with the Nikon 105 macro lens and you really need the plane of the lens to be parallel to the subject as you only have 10mm DoF to play with at 1:1 across all apertures.
Mick

Last edited:
I'm not sure what DOF I get with the Raynox DCR250 and my 45-200, but it doesn't seem like much! Pretty tricky - I kept trying to get the nearest eye in focus and I think only managed it once.

Well I'm sat here bleary eyed now. It took forever to decide what to post and took a good while to work out how to save them as .jpg

I had major issues with camera shake so didn't really come away with much but really enjoyed myself anway. This was the best I could come up with, I don't have any macro equipment.

ButterflyhouseMay20107of76.jpg

ButterflyhouseMay20107of59resized.jpg

ButterflyhouseMay201026of76resized.jpg

ButterflyhouseMay201030of76resized.jpg

Thanks everyone for making it such a fun day.

I was going to look at everyone else's tonight but my wireless connection is just ridiculously slow so I'll go through them tomorrow in my lunchbreak.

Last edited:
They look good to me Andrea I think the majority of us struggled to master the depth of field. I like the last one also. Where you standing over my shoulder it looks familiar LOL.
Mick

They look good to me Andrea I think the majority of us struggled to master the depth of field. I like the last one also. Where you standing over my shoulder it looks familiar LOL.
Mick

Thanks everyone for the comments. I think most of us must have photos of the egg layer. At one point I was one of 4 people trying for a shot. Poor thing was probably wanting a bit of privacy!!

John - Really liking nos. 4, 9, 10 & 13 with I think 13 being my favourite, I just love the greens.

Graham - 1, 6 and 7 are the ones that really jump out at me with no. 6 being my favourite. I loved it when I saw it on the laptop on Sunday.

Michael - No. 1 is i think my favourite and no. 3 made me smile as it looks like they are about to attack!

Looks like you lot had a great time, some excellent shots people (y)

Graham - 1, 6 and 7 are the ones that really jump out at me with no. 6 being my favourite. I loved it when I saw it on the laptop on Sunday.

Thanks Andrea.

Looks like you lot had a great time, some excellent shots people

Cheers Alby - it was fun (though bloody hot and humid!)

Some really excellent shots there. Here are mine:

butterflyhouse1.jpg

butterflyhouse2.jpg

butterflyhouse4.jpg

Hi Richard, nice trio Mate, #2 looks to be over sharpened as it is haloing quite a bit but the other two are spot on as your shots normally are. Enjoy Skomer this year Mate, shame I had to pull out and I shall miss your company not being there. I trust pizzas have been bought in readiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Alby. Yes I was very disappointed with not getting the focus right in #2 and tried to rescue it. I thought I had a better version than this actually, I'll have a look. Shame you're not going to Skomer, I'm still looking forward to it though.

Great set Richard I love no#2 mate with the plant. No#3 is spot on (y) Great to see you again and hope to be totally outdone by you again next time :)

Fab shots everyone looks like you had a great time, shame I couldnt go as well as I had something else planned, hopefully there will be another meet soon :)

Back