Not even a missprint £99k lens

:eek:i need a new walkabout lens....

16.5kg, 33 inches long and 9 inches wide at the front element,

There was one on ebay a few months back for $81,000. Don't know who would pay $165,000 for one.

Funny enough saw a vid recently about this lens (youtube)... b&h had one for sale in 2009.

Though they didn't seem very apt at using it. Lol

Spotted this earlier, couldn't quite believe my eyes. 99k for a lens!?!

Seems its due to the rarity. Does anyone know how many were produced?

I would like to see some comparison tests between this and the Canon 600mm F/4L + 2x Extender before I commit; just to see if it's worth the £90,000+ extra...

I doubt they'd expect to sell it at that price, they'll get a fair boost in traffic from it though :)

Wonder what they paid for it...?

What on earth would you need 1200mm for? I'm not even being flippant, I honestly can't think of a practical use. Safari maybe? Wouldn't need a jeep, you could just shoot from the hotel window.
I'm sure the CIA/MI5/6 etc have a few knocking about.

These mega lenses always interest me. The front element took over a year to let the fluorite crystal grow big enough.

Can you imagine Nikon or Canon making anything like this ever again? I suspect this and the Nikon 1200-1700mm will never even be considered again, the 800s are as long as we will ever see.

I had an email from mpb earlier this week saying they had something very exciting arriving. I thought it would be a rare or expensive lens but I never suspected it would cost this much.

Grays listed the Nikon 6mm f/2.8 for £100,000 last year and it sold. It will drive traffic up on the mpb site but wasn't the B&H 1200mm only about $100,000 (not £)?

Grays listed the Nikon 6mm f/2.8 for £100,000 last year and it sold. It will drive traffic up on the mpb site but wasn't the B&H 1200mm only about $100,000 (not £)?

But when it comes to gear it's always been $1=£1. ;)

What on earth would you need 1200mm for? I'm not even being flippant, I honestly can't think of a practical use. Safari maybe? Wouldn't need a jeep, you could just shoot from the hotel window.

Some big sports agencies use them for some olympics events (i saw an article about their use in the rowing). I also saw an article about the old equivalent Nikon 1200mm lens being used to get close up photos during royal weddings etc. So they definitely have a use.

why would i want such a piddly little lens when i have this one already!

Leica 1600mm f/5.6
compatible with Leica's 1.4x and 2x APO-teleconverters, giving rise to whopping 1:8/2240mm and 1:11/3200mm optical systems, respectively.

asking price around 2 million dollars ( but i'll take £1 million ( though not in pound coins please.. used notes only )

leica-1600mm-lens2.jpg

Sounds like a lot of money but as a tool for a job it's not , a CNC milling machine can cost 250k if you wanted to start an engineering business , 150k for an artic & trailer

Photography is a cheap business to start up in equipment costs

EDIT not the leica

Some big sports agencies use them for some olympics events (i saw an article about their use in the rowing). I also saw an article about the old equivalent Nikon 1200mm lens being used to get close up photos during royal weddings etc. So they definitely have a use.

Yep for some big agencies might be worth the outlay :)

im sure you could do some pretty cool moonshots but then my OH's Fuji Bridge when switched to Digital Zoom goes from 720mm to 1440mm and only cost £120.. alot easier to carry around too!

Too heavy or large for the overhead locker probably!

Back