Critique not in the same league as some other but i may as well share them!

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a few from the sunderland Air show at the weekend.
Nowhere ner enough reach as was using a 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 TC on crop but they were still tiny in the frame so are all big crops.

Some of the other photos in this section are amazing so apologies for them not being as good :)
I dont usually photograph stuff like this so theres not much prob blur i was concentrating on trying to get the planes sharp lol.

1) DC3 Dakota "Union Jack Dak"

2) DC3 Dakota "Union Jack Dak"

3) BBMF Lancaster Bomber

4) BBMF Lancaster Bomber

5) BBMF Lancaster Bomber

6) 29 Squadron RAF Display Typhoon on approach to Newcastle Airport

Cheers for looking

Nick

They've survived pretty well with the TC and the big crop, I wouldn't get too hung on on prop blur, providing there is a little bit it looks right, just frozen props look wrong. Full discs look incredible but very very difficult to do and your keeper rate will drop massively. I generally kick around 1/250-1/320 and it gives enough prop blur across most power settings and is a short enough exposure to keep things sharp even if my panning efforts need work!

Overall though its quite a nice little set - fun isn't it!

Agree to a certain extent with Caleb, although I would like a bit more prop blur. IMO, a lower keeper rate of better shots is better - once you have a few keepers on the car already! Planes usually do a couple of passes so I try to get a couple of relatively fast shots on the first then drop the shutter speed for the later shots to get more prop blur. It generally takes a couple of passes to get back into panning mode but since the shots are for ME (and occasional sharing here), a low hit rate doesn't matter. Jets of course are non SS reliant unless you're aiming to lose the background by panning but helicopters do need a slower SS to get significant rotor blur or they can look very odd!

Not too long until my once a year try at airshow shots! Hopefully with the 2 Lancs... In 2 minds as to whether to take limited kit on the bike and be able to get away faster or take more kit and sit in traffic for a couple of hours. Leaning towards a single body and lens on the bike but could possibly add a small holster bag to the small rucksack.

Back