Edit My Images
Yes
any idea's? (bit oof, sorry)

5592325732_7641dbcece_b.jpg

I think it might be a Willow Warbler - if not, then its a Chiffchaff

Linda

Its definitely a ChiffWillow!
Great shot by the way.

I actually think it is a Chiffchaff having looked at it again.

will be interesting to see what others think

Might be tempted to go with Willow warbler but agin will wait for the experts.

(bit oof, sorry)

Not to my eyes. Looks perfect focus on the bird itself. Very nicely done.

//edit

I'd go with a Chiffchaff from looking in my bird id book. A WW seems to have a more yellow belly.

Last edited:
Chiffchaff for me.

Apologies Mark, I forgot to add that it is indeed a good shot which looks sharp and well exposed imo (y)

http://flic.kr/p/9vjPAd

Its definitely a Willow Warbler, a Chiffchaff has dark/black legs

Dark legs are not definitive as a method of ID, having seen many of both species in the hand at ringing sessions, its surprising the range of leg colour in the field. Though birds with really black legs are thought to be nearly all Chiffchaffs.

Song is a great pointer, and Chiffchaffs are supposed to only sing in Bushes / trees above 5 metres high.

Wing length (primary Projection) is shorter in Chiffs just reaching the rump, but not always apparent in the field.

I think this is a Chiffchaff based on, 1- Shorter wing length, 2- Overall greyer appearance, 3- Head shape, slightly more rounded than a Willow warbler.

Never mind its a nice image, and im sure you will have plenty of chances to hear and see these canny birds.

One other pointer is Chiffchaffs tend to flick their tails when feeding, Willows hardly ever do this.

Last edited:
Whichever. a stunning shot, good bird detail and sharp. Focus nicely on the eye. Well done.

Regards: Gordon

Dark legs are not definitive as a method of ID, having seen many of both species in the hand at ringing sessions, its surprising the range of leg colour in the field. Though birds with really black legs are thought to be nearly all Chiffchaffs.

Song is a great pointer, and Chiffchaffs are supposed to only sing in Bushes / trees above 5 metres high.

Wing length (primary Projection) is shorter in Chiffs just reaching the rump, but not always apparent in the field.

I think this is a Chiffchaff based on, 1- Shorter wing length, 2- Overall greyer appearance, 3- Head shape, slightly more rounded than a Willow warbler.

Never mind its a nice image, and im sure you will have plenty of chances to hear and see these canny birds.

One other pointer is Chiffchaffs tend to flick their tails when feeding, Willows hardly ever do this.

Good to see a bit of knowledge posted on here Brian (y) even if we are still not sure ;)

Thats great info and thanks so much for posting that.

The only extra pieces of info I didnt know about was the wing length difference and the slightly rounder head shape. Very useful info, thank you.

I had dismissed the leg colour as I knew that that wasnt a 100% way for a clear ID, so I had simply based my second opinion on the colour and thought the eye stripe was slightly more emphasised. Very difficult little birds to differentiate arent they.

Superb info and thanks for posting it :)

Linda

hope this helps
chiff chaff
A small olive-brown warbler which actively flits through trees and shrubs, with a distinctive tail-wagging movement. Less bright than the similar willow warbler and readily distinguished by its song, from where it gets its name. Picks insects from trees and also flies out to snap them up in flight.

willow warbler
Willow warblers are small birds with grey-green backs and pale under parts. They have a yellow tinged chest and throat and pale supercillium (the stripe above the eye). They are separated from the very similar chiffchaff by their song. Their population, especially in southern Britain, has undergone a moderate decline over the past 25 years making them an Amber List species.
think i would opt for a chiff chaff and a very nice shot of one too
regards ian

IMO deffo a chiff chaff.

Great shot and just goes to show how difficult it is to split these.
The only definitive method is by their song.
Did you hear it sing ??

Back